Author Topic: Virgin Mobile Fest Baltimore 2009 date set?  (Read 190153 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Virgin Mobile Fest Baltimore 2009 date set?
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2009, 02:00:44 pm »
we could be super super green and just not have the festival at all.  and spend that weekend planting trees.

PigIron

« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2009, 03:05:51 pm »
Well, maybe if they had this option last year, I'd take it.  Id take a day of planting dogwoods up Park Heights Ave. over Lil Wayne or Jack Johnson any day.

sonickteam2

« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2009, 08:39:56 am »
and its official....well, not really, but its possibly official and at least they're still trying to have it!

http://baltimore.bizjournals.com/baltimore/stories/2009/03/30/daily58.html

Virgin Fest eyeing move to Merriweather Post
Baltimore Business Journal - by Ryan Sharrow Staff

The Virgin Mobile Festival, one of the largest concerts on the East Coast that has brought some of music?s biggest names to Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, could be hitting the road.

But after a three-year stint in Baltimore, the tour busses may not be traveling far.

The two-day festival?s promoter I.M.P. of Bethesda is in discussions about moving the event to Columbia?s 17,000-seat Merriweather Post Pavilion, industry sources and Howard County Executive Ken Ulman confirmed.

Ulman said I.M.P. Chairman Seth Hurwitz told him he was weighing potential venues for the summer show and Merriweather is among them.

Relocating to Merriweather would be a logical move, industry observers say, because I.M.P. manages and operates the venue. Hosting a downsized version of the festival at the venue would cut the company?s rental fee and cost of constructing a stage, industry experts say.

When asked about this year?s festival, Audrey Fix Schaefer, a publicist for I.M.P., said ?there is nothing to announce at this time.?

Jayne Wallace, a spokeswoman for Virgin Mobile USA, said the New Jersey telecom company plans to make an announcement regarding this year?s event before May.

?Some stuff is just decisions being made, options being weighed and ultimately contracts being signed,? Wallace said. ?We are looking at a lot of different new things for the festival.?

Wallace declined to disclose any specific details.

What?s for certain is that any move would be the latest hit to the embattled 138-year-old Pimlico, where more than 60,000 people attended last year?s Virgin Fest in August. The historic track?s owner, Magna Entertainment Corp., has filed for bankruptcy leaving both the course and it?s signature Preaknesss Stakes in question. The upcoming spring racing schedule at Pimlico has been trimmed by 11 days to 20. Total wagering last spring at the course dropped 16.5 percent to $190.9 million.

Tom Chuckas, president of the Maryland Jockey Club, said he has not gotten an official word as to what I.M.P.'s plans are. Losing the event would be a hit to the course, he said.

?We get traffic and we get Pimlico on the map. We draw younger people at that event and we try to capture them and bring them back to other events at Pimlico and Laurel,? Chuckas said of the Virgin Fest. ?If they try and do something else we?d be unhappy and it would be a blow.?

Chuckas said Pimlico charges around $200,000 in rent for the weekend.

But the event does more than give a weekend boost to Pimlico.

The Virgin Fest has called Baltimore its exclusive U.S. home for the last three summers and drew acts such as 80s rockers the Police, Bob Dylan, Kanye West and the Smashing Pumpkins. Hotel managers near Pimlico say they?ve enjoyed full-occupancy at the time of the concert and any move would leave a negative impact on their August business.

The quiet chatter surrounding this summer?s event likely signals the performers at the festival won?t be as high profile as they?ve been in the past, said Don Wehner, a concert promoter with Upfront Promotions in Baltimore.

?You really haven?t heard that much about where the big headliners are,? Wehner said. ?So you want to assume it?s going to be at a smaller venue.?

Bruce Holtman, business agent with Baltimore?s IATSE Local 19, a union which has set up lighting and audio visual equipment at the Virgin Fest the past three years, said he has spoken with Merriweather officials who mentioned a smaller version of the event may relocate to Columbia this summer.

Officials at Merriweather could not be reached for comment.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2009, 08:49:04 am »
that sucks, I really enjoyed having the festival at Pimlico.

wml7

« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2009, 08:52:03 am »
just move it to the 930 club.

serpent boy

« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2009, 09:36:38 am »
Well, that's a kick in the balls to anyone hoping for a true Virgin Mobile Festival again this year.

But I appreciate that we now have an idea of what to expect. Temper expectations to no big-name headliners and plan for APW or Lollapalooza if you're hoping for a traditional festival this year.

Thanks for the updates, Sonick.

wml7

« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2009, 09:39:09 am »
This kind of reminds me when hfs had it's last hfstival at merriweather.  It was literally the last one too as you see what happened to that station.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2009, 09:55:37 am »
Well, that's a kick in the balls to anyone hoping for a true Virgin Mobile Festival again this year.

But I appreciate that we now have an idea of what to expect. Temper expectations to no big-name headliners and plan for APW or Lollapalooza if you're hoping for a traditional festival this year.

yeah because no real  big name headliners ever play Merriweather  ::)
T.Rex

« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2009, 09:57:37 am »
I had the exact same thought. Book a week straight of great shows (instead of the usual lame summer crap that is booked at the Club), and call it V-Fest.

Davyboy

« Reply #174 on: April 06, 2009, 10:00:05 am »
If it's at merriweather Im out. I'll just have to try and make it to lolla or plan for something else. Pretty sad as Vfest was the last really great festival type concert in the area.

wml7

« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2009, 10:01:08 am »
I had the exact same thought. Book a week straight of great shows (instead of the usual lame summer crap that is booked at the Club), and call it V-Fest.

I was being sarcastic when I said that.

serpent boy

« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2009, 10:05:24 am »

yeah because no real  big name headliners ever play Merriweather  ::)

Hah, true. But if you have Metallica or Pearl Jam (big names) headline at Merriweather, you don't need any other acts to sell the place out. It'd be pointless to make it a festival.

« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2009, 10:05:45 am »
I wasn't.

I was being sarcastic when I said that.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2009, 10:12:31 am »
Now this would be my idea of good festival programming

Truck Festival - Hill Farm, Steventon - UK

Headliners Ash and Supergrass

# The best new bands on the back of the Truck including RED LIGHT COMPANY and DETROIT SOCIAL CLUB
# YACHT to play the Barn Stage in their only UK festival appearance
# Sunday is Rock-day in the barn, AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR, PULLED APART BY HORSES and CALORIES already confirmed, DATA SELECT PARTY appear on the Saturday
# Beats in the Beat Hive ? ERRORS, HELOISE AND THE SAVOIR FAIRE, CHEW LIPS, SPORTSDAY MEGAPHONE and NERVOUS TESTPILOT confirmed
# Market stage is run on solar power this year and will feature new 4AD signings BROKEN RECORDS on the Saturday
T.Rex

betao

« Reply #179 on: April 06, 2009, 10:13:58 am »
Oh poo. This wouldn't be nearly as awesome as Pimlico. So what, would it be like 7-8 acts a day? with only one stage?