Author Topic: Virgin Mobile Fest Baltimore 2009 date set?  (Read 190122 times)

bkrome

Re: Virgin Mobile Fest Baltimore 2009 date set?
« Reply #270 on: June 01, 2009, 06:33:34 am »
Not much that we already don't know but I was told yesterday that they are looking to bring it to Merriweather as a stopgap until a permanent location is found for the festival next year...it will still be two stages (main stage + symphony woods) but no word on a dance tent yet.

They are currently putting together a lineup so I would not expect to see a full one for a couple weeks.  My friend was not sure if Weezer/Blink 182 would be headliners but thats what appears most logical to me.  Im sure they will try to at least announce the headliners as soon as possible.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #271 on: June 01, 2009, 08:03:34 am »
Seriously, what the #$@# is going on? Is this going to happen or not? Every single event is announced, and it's irresponsible of Virgin Mobile to delay and lack any hint of whether it is going to happen

I read the latest headline, which was 3 days ago, stating that one of the Merriwhether marketers got an email entitled, "MERRIWETHER", but opened it, and it was about expanding the venue, not the v-fest

Some say it will be announced on June 1st, but one person said it WILL be announced on June 26th

which is it? I can't even believe it is already into June, and no-one has an idea   

well it's not like they aren't making it public just to keep it a secret for no reason.  I'm sure nothing is finalized yet.  If you feel like blaming someone, I would suspect blame would best be placed on the bankrupt owners of pimlico.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #272 on: June 01, 2009, 02:10:57 pm »

well it's not like they aren't making it public just to keep it a secret for no reason.  I'm sure nothing is finalized yet.  If you feel like blaming someone, I would suspect blame would best be placed on the bankrupt owners of pimlico.

Exactly!

Though Seth tends to always play the tease and wait until the last minute to annouce these kinds of things (probably just to make sure he has all of his ducks in a row) this is one year he deserves a bit of a break from us. He's been thrown a major, major curve ball with the entire Pimlico debacle. Shame because it's such a perfect venue for this festival. Good for Pimlico and Baltimore too.

Since nothing has yet to be announced, it wouldn't surprise me if you all got your wish and that it will be held sometime in September. That is, if it does happen this year. I suspect canning it for the year hasn't been the final verdict yet or I'm sure we would have received an 'I'm sorry folks, not this year' by now.

Add to everything, the economy sucks. That's going to have an impact on all angles. Seth is smart enough to know that less money will be coming in so money output will have to be carefully controlled. Sure, there a plenty DC people who haven't felt a penny pinch yet with new money coming in with a new administration (as always happens) and those with decent, more secure Federal jobs but, for the most part, the average person is hurting and must put limits on their discretionary spending; hence, they will tend to not buy higher priced tickets and/or buy less tickets in general. Just a reminder, the VFest is not exclusively DCcentric. It's big enough to be more Mid-Atlantic based. If you all want it just for yourselves than you'll just have to scale back.

Even if nothing happens this year, I have no doubt that the King of Cupcakes will be back next year once there has been time to regroup and fine tune the details.

johnharr

« Reply #273 on: June 01, 2009, 02:29:17 pm »
Something's looming:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postrock/2009/06/merriweather_post_now_w21_more.html

There's logic to this:  "enhance" Merriweather for V-Fest...

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #274 on: June 01, 2009, 02:34:29 pm »
Something's looming:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postrock/2009/06/merriweather_post_now_w21_more.html

There's logic to this:  "enhance" Merriweather for V-Fest...

Pinball! Thanks, Seth. Someone out there knows what a real arcade is like.
😐 🎶

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #275 on: June 01, 2009, 03:02:50 pm »
Sounds promising, with or without a Vfest!

Then there's this:

"Also: More restrooms."

Not all that exciting but oh, so necessary. I just hope he remembers the hooks!  ;D

Just one thing, what the Hell do chickens have to do with Merriweather? Was that something to please the neighbors or something? Will we see Josh striding it like some Cupcake cowboy all wild looking and donning 9:30 cupcakes in his ears?

hemisphire

« Reply #276 on: June 01, 2009, 04:59:42 pm »
All the newness was out at MPP at the '80s metal fest on Saturday.  It's mostly a new building between the barn and the pavilion, with about 8 pinball machines facing the pavilion (and games only a quarter), then about 4 different concession windows facing the barn, then a women's bathroom entrance facing the barn, and a men's bathroom entrance facing the back parking lot.

walkonby

« Reply #277 on: June 01, 2009, 05:18:14 pm »
now if they just could just tear down that mall and make it another parking lot for the venue . . . seeing how i pay a parking fee just to park at the mall.

serpent boy

« Reply #278 on: June 01, 2009, 06:48:16 pm »
Maybe Seth snagged Pearl Jam and he's respectfully waiting for them to reveal the rest of their tour this week? :)

Either way, what's the harm in waiting a few more weeks? Last year was well worth the wait.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #279 on: June 01, 2009, 07:48:29 pm »
Either way, what's the harm in waiting a few more weeks? Last year was well worth the wait.
What? The vast majority of us who "waited" for Vfest 2008 to get announced were majorly pissed. Holy revisionist history, Batman!

sonickteam2

« Reply #280 on: June 02, 2009, 12:04:34 am »
What? The vast majority of us who "waited" for Vfest 2008 to get announced were majorly pissed. Holy revisionist history, Batman!

you arent into electronic music then, cause that tent lineup was sick sick sick.

betao

« Reply #281 on: June 02, 2009, 12:10:17 am »

you arent into electronic music then, cause that tent lineup was sick sick sick.

Amen. Underworld, Rabbit in the Moon, Steve Lawler, Ritchie Hawtin, Moby, etc etc. So much quality there last year. I'm so glad they got Underworld! (thank you seth!!!)

leafblower

« Reply #282 on: June 02, 2009, 09:40:21 am »
Underworld's set was one of the best shows I have ever seen.  So, so good.

Davyboy

« Reply #283 on: June 02, 2009, 10:22:24 am »

Why? not a fan of the lineup? I thought it was one hell of a great weekend of music personally. Especially Saturday's lineup. NIN put on one the best live experiences I can remember in a long time. But to each their own I suppose.

I am a bit fidgety though. I've been waiting for an announcement for a longtime. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

wml7

« Reply #284 on: June 02, 2009, 10:24:24 am »
Found this tidbit on another board.

listening to Elliot in the Morning today and Elliot had some CEO-type guy from Merriweather on the show to hype up his big announcement regarding Merriweather later on today. He kept teasing the announcement being about improvements to the venue, but Elliot kept talking about "V-Fest being free on August 30th with Blink 182 and Weezer playing" so it seems this really is the V-Fest, more to come later today.