Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 10343 times)

nkotb

Watchmen
« on: March 05, 2009, 10:38:38 am »
Anyone seeing this at midnight?  I'm a little too old to do the midnight showings, especially with a full day of work the next day (and a 162 minute run-time), but should be hitting it Friday night.

I'm still on the fence whether I'm excited or dreading it.

godsshoeshine

Re: Watchmen
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:48:16 am »
i'd like to say i'm going to see it this weekend, but i might have to wait until next week
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:57:45 am »
i might play it old school, and take the missus for a saturday night dinner-and-a-movie date.  closest place to see it is an imax :D
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:12:20 pm »
My date bailed because of the 3 hour run time, so Ill see it tomorrow afternoon at some point. I might start begging people to come with me to see it tonight.
‼‼?‼‼

Darth Ed

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 02:29:10 pm »
I'm seeing it Friday evening! Can't wait!

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 04:24:03 pm »
My date bailed because of the 3 hour run time
Whatever it takes to keep the pain away...

Samantha

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 05:06:34 pm »
I was sooo excited to see this because the trailers looked amazing and true to the story (except the ridiculous Ozymandias...seriously, why the hell did they think it would be a good idea to make him look like a pussy??? how can that work???).

Then I heard about the disappointing different ending...now I'm itching with curiosity.

I'd see it tonight if someone would go with me, but it looks like I'm stuck going tomorrow evening.  My friends are lame!  (Or I'm lame, if you take a different view...)

nkotb

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 05:09:33 pm »
Two things:

1) I may love you based on that post.

2) He sort of always looked like a pussy, IMO:

I was sooo excited to see this because the trailers looked amazing and true to the story (except the ridiculous Ozymandias...seriously, why the hell did they think it would be a good idea to make him look like a pussy??? how can that work???).

Then I heard about the disappointing different ending...now I'm itching with curiosity.

I'd see it tonight if someone would go with me, but it looks like I'm stuck going tomorrow evening.  My friends are lame!  (Or I'm lame, if you take a different view...)

walkonby

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 05:24:00 pm »
i see batman's uniform influences everything nowadays.  will this flop?  because we are finally sick of superhero films?  because it is R?  because most of the watchman characters are rip offs of dc counterparts?

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 05:26:31 pm »
 I was gonna start this thread earlier.  I think we are going this weekend for the IMAX in Columbia.

stupid walking distance MD Science Center NOT showing it = big mistake.

nkotb

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 05:27:39 pm »
Have you read Watchmen?  It was originally planned as being known DC characters, but they were worried it would tarnish their reputation.  What's why there's the similarities.  Just saying...

i see batman's uniform influences everything nowadays.  will this flop?  because we are finally sick of superhero films?  because it is R?  because most of the watchman characters are rip offs of dc counterparts?

Samantha

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 05:31:04 pm »
I don't even see how you could compare the two.  If you read the descriptive article in the book on Ozymandias, he's really supposed to come across as the Uber-American-Male.  Overly masculine, physical and business-savvy, and as you see in that picture he's strong with a tinge of world-weariness and sorrow...that's entirely different from being an overall pussy.  The movie version just looks scared and weak.  LIKE A PUSSY.  Assuming he plays the same role in the movie as in the book, I don't understand how that can work.  (I've thought about this way, way too much.)

On the other hand, visually I like the movie's Laurie better.  Rawr!

walkonby

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 05:37:07 pm »
Have you read Watchmen?  It was originally planned as being known DC characters, but they were worried it would tarnish their reputation.  What's why there's the similarities.  Just saying...

what is you opinion of this?:

Dr. Manhattan = Captain Atom
Nite Owl = Blue Beetle
Rorschach = The Question
Comedian = Peacemaker
Ozymandias = Thunderbolt
Silk Spectre = Black Canary or some say Nightshade
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:39:25 pm by walkonby »

nkotb

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 05:40:45 pm »
Did you look that up?  I'd say you're batting 1000:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Manhattan#Main_characters

Nite Owl = Blue Beetle
Rorschach = The Question
Comedian = Peacemaker
Ozymandias = Thunderbolt

walkonby

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 05:52:33 pm »
Did you look that up?  I'd say you're batting 1000:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Manhattan#Main_characters

Nite Owl = Blue Beetle
Rorschach = The Question
Comedian = Peacemaker
Ozymandias = Thunderbolt

i've read many message boards relating to comics for years, and video games as well.  god, i'm more of a nerd than i knew.  and you think people here can argue with one another.  never got into watchmen or even really paid much attention to it until i saw the first preview for the film . . . and was like, "wait a minute, i've seen characters close to these guys before . . . haven't i?"  those comparisons seem to be the universal agreement of "rip offs" or borrowed characters from charlton.  and no, i have never read the original graphic novels, but oh so remember them in my local comic book shoppee.  the owner would always try to force them on me as one of the two best graphic novels from 1986.  the other, dark knight returns is my personal fav.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:56:52 pm by walkonby »