Author Topic: My position on scalping...  (Read 61382 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: My position on scalping...
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 07:00:21 pm »
Anyway, to get back to the economics of scalping... what scalpers do is take advantage of the difference between the price a club is willing to charge without alienating its customers, and the maximum price the market will bear.

Seth could put an end to scalping by raising his prices so high that only the most monied would be able or willing to pay for shows.  Tickets would not sell out as quickly, but by effectively charging scalpers' rates, he would then collect the profit that scalpers currently gain.

Unfortunately, this would alienate a huge portion of the 930 Club's base, and shut out many ardent music fans.   Those people would eventually turn to other things than seeing bands at the club.  Seth might grow wealthy in the short run, but the Club would become something other than what it is now, and would eventually fail.

It's actually a pretty good demonstration of the fact that free market capitalism will only get you so far.

_\|/_

walkonby

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 08:23:43 pm »

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 08:57:15 pm »
If the final is UNC v. Michigan State, I might pray for Ford Field to collapse in on itself. Heck, the Lions don't need it.

SPARX

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 09:08:15 pm »
If the final is UNC v. Michigan State

That ain't happenin. Mark my words, I have just 2: Big East

walkonby

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 09:18:24 pm »
If the final is UNC v. Michigan State, I might pray for Ford Field to collapse in on itself. Heck, the Lions don't need it.

actually i would love to see that . . . just to put those silly "we know everything about sports" michigan fans in their place after unc is snipping down the net in victory frenzy.

replace guiness with hofbrau.  on draft and in bottle.  the new maibock for spring is as awesome as u2's "unforgetable fire."  word.

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 09:32:19 pm »
If the final is UNC v. Michigan State

That ain't happenin. Mark my words, I have just 2: Big East
Here's hoping.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2009, 09:44:34 pm »
thinking about using the split topic function at this moment..
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2009, 09:47:51 pm »

walkonby

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2009, 09:55:07 pm »
cbs: carolina brings satisfaction

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2009, 10:18:57 pm »
CBS: Carolina's Bull Shit

Tyler Hansborough: Eric Montross v2.0
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:22:20 pm by Julian, Certified WEBLEBRITY »

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2009, 10:41:37 pm »
I haven't been to Ireland for a long time, but I'm guessing Irish people with taste don't walk into a pub and order Guiness any more than self-respecting Australians order Foster's.

I spent a year over there in 94/95 and from my memory most people drank either Budweiser or Guinness. I was pretty surprised about the Budweiser.

when i lived there in '02 i saw as many budweiser and heineken taps as guinness ... and the budweiser tasted a lot better in ireland ;)

btw, going back to dublin for a long weekend in may... anyone been there recently and can recommend any hot spots?
(o|o)

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2009, 12:48:07 am »
thinking about using the split topic function at this moment..

yes, well, we've gone from scalping to guiness & Tyler Hansbrough

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2009, 07:32:34 am »
Let's say a stamp collector buys a postage stamp, and a month later, for whatever reason, he finds that there are people willing to give him five times the amount of money he paid for the stamp. He decides to sell the stamp to the highest bidder.

Should he be thrown in jail?

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2009, 08:03:06 am »
Not sure why I'm bothering to waste my time explaining this, as I'm sure you fully understand the difference, but one last post and then I will assume that you just like saying you gave me shit:

this would be like someone buying up all the remaining stamps, and then standing outside the post office and offering to sell all of the people that couldn't mail a letter stamps at twice the price

I think that if they limited the resale value of tickets, if not to zero increase, it would end this whole problem

and I do think it's a problem

sonickteam2

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2009, 08:22:25 am »
I think the real point is that its hard for the concert goer to take sympathy here.

You pay Band X $10,000 to play at the club and then charge 1000 people $25 to get in to see them.

you are charging a premium to make a profit because you have the resources to have a band play at your club.  So when someone else has the resources to buy 100 tickets and sell them for his own profit, I dont see the difference. 

I realize that you do, because you're in that business whereas, despite working at clubs, I am not really in that business.

Sometimes it doesnt matter who's ripping us off! 

As for the stamps analogy, or any other one, it never works. You are thinking like the seller and we are thinking like the buyer.  Why should the post office be the only one to profit frmo stamps.  that doesnt sound capitalist!

Besides, you own venues, therefore, you stand in a position to do something about scalping. It may cut into your profit, and it may not be much, but its more than we can do out here!