Author Topic: My position on scalping...  (Read 61357 times)

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
Re: My position on scalping...
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2009, 07:18:59 am »
when it used to really be scalpers that paid people to get in line first, and make the effort to beat the system in the same manner that anyone else could, then that was speculation & entrepreneurialism and I didn't have a problem with it

what I don't think is fair is when it's an inside job, and they get loads of tickets that everyone else couldn't

point of all this was simply that, for the record, I don't participate in it...I don't care if someone else is making money off my concerts, I just choose not to be part of that process...my job is to sell the ticket once

wml7

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2009, 07:20:51 am »
all in all good, so when the hell do we hear about v fest?????

sonickteam2

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2009, 08:15:36 am »
when it used to really be scalpers that paid people to get in line first, and make the effort to beat the system in the same manner that anyone else could, then that was speculation & entrepreneurialism and I didn't have a problem with it

what I don't think is fair is when it's an inside job, and they get loads of tickets that everyone else couldn't

point of all this was simply that, for the record, I don't participate in it...I don't care if someone else is making money off my concerts, I just choose not to be part of that process...my job is to sell the ticket once

and thats why you're so successful!

now about that Vfest....

Got Haggis?

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2009, 08:54:06 am »
well at least it seems it isn't possible to scalp vfest tickets since I don't think it ever sells out.

sonickteam2

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2009, 11:28:44 am »
well at least it seems it isn't possible to scalp vfest tickets since I don't think it ever sells out.

ouch.

wml7

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2009, 11:34:18 am »

ouch.

This is very true in fact you can even get cheaper tickets on the day of the show since scalpers can't get rid of them.  Thats one good thing about scalping if you run into some who sell them for a loss.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2009, 06:47:03 pm »
Heh... I've been in the situation at a few big shows where there are way more scalpers than buyers...  you don't make your move until after the band goes into its first song, at which point the scalpers panic...  you can entice these human scum to enter into bidding battles with each other -- they'll fight it out right in front of you, and you end up with a ticket for way below face.   

I used to do this for sport, these days I don't care enough, and I prefer not to deal with such people even if it's to my gain.  So it's only direct for me.
_\|/_

wml7

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2009, 06:56:09 pm »
yeah i always wait till the show is at the second encore then buy the ticket at 10 times the value.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2009, 09:41:49 am »

ouch.

wasn't meant as a dig....the capacity for vfest is quite large, i wouldn't expect it to sell out.  It was meant to continue the discussion about vfest to see if seth will cough up some info about it ;)

walkonby

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2009, 09:50:04 am »

ouch.

wasn't meant as a dig....the capacity for vfest is quite large, i wouldn't expect it to sell out.  It was meant to continue the discussion about vfest to see if seth will cough up some info about it ;)

perhaps seth is too busy buying up all the stamps.

Bags

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2009, 06:49:08 pm »
Thanks, Seth.  I think you cleared up a lot (for me), though I never believed IMP was an offender in this arena.  My big problem these days is the official unofficial resale sites like TicketsNow.  I was one of many thrown over to TicketsNow seconds after 10:00 a.m. for Springsteen.  That is insane.  If I have to deal with a scalper because I wasn't on the ball, etc., that's simply what I have to deal with.  But if the system is rigged ex ante, that is wrong.  If all have equal access to tickets on a level playing field, that is capitalism.  However, if there is an undue exertion of market power, that is not.  I believe that's the case here.

For the folks who are using beer as an example, you CAN get $2 Guinness anytime you want.  It means you drink it at home.  Now getting U2 to your house, or some other less expensive way to see them, that's another thing.  Or finding another night spot where you can get a $2 Guinness...that will be a challenge as well.

Wonder how some of the lot of you would respond if, in response to your cogent arguments here, Seth raised his prices by 50%.  You know, the increase in per ticket price could make up for the decrease in ticket sale volume.  Maybe he should try it?

sonickteam2

« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2009, 01:46:49 pm »

For the folks who are using beer as an example, you CAN get $2 Guinness anytime you want.  It means you drink it at home.  Now getting U2 to your house, or some other less expensive way to see them, that's another thing.  Or finding another night spot where you can get a $2 Guinness...that will be a challenge as well.

i think a few Guinnesses is a good bet to get any Irishmen to come over to your house

« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2009, 01:49:18 pm »
Not the one's with taste, according to Doctor Doom.

i think a few Guinnesses is a good bet to get any Irishmen to come over to your house

godsshoeshine

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2009, 01:54:55 pm »
would work in jamaica apparently
THE story goes that once, when rock band U2 was in Jamaica, a lift attendant overheard them talking about beer. Unaware of who the band was, the attendant proceeded to tell Bono and gang that the best Guinness stout was not in Dublin but right there in Jamaica. The band, of course, laughed it off, but he made a bet with them, and that night, took them to a local pub he frequented. Legend has it that Bono took one sip of Jamaican Guinness, and the attendant won his bet.

http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2008/5/20/lifeliving/21059079&sec=lifeliving
o/\o

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2009, 07:30:11 pm »
Some of you people really scare me with how delighted you seem to bend so far over backwards to protect the shady business of insider scalping. I won't even address the standard consumer based scalping since you can actually break that out to be a separate issue. Gesh!

Seth, consider me very appreciative of your stand and your very active fight on this corruption. Some people just don't get that that's racketeering.

You know, with so many who just love to pay extra to be screwed over and submissive to those who are taking them for an extra ride, I think I've found a new career path. Dominatrix! Bend over assholes so I can take you for all you're worth...and you'll love every extra dollar you'll have to pay me for it.