Author Topic: Stanley Cup Picks  (Read 214354 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Stanley Cup Picks
« Reply #360 on: May 13, 2009, 03:21:06 pm »
my "game 7" conspiracy theory: the nhl is creating game 7's for the ratings & ticket sales.

detroit looked impotent last night.  the bruins have suddenly woken up and are playing they should have all along.  the crosby vs ovechkin script pretty much called for a game 7.  my conspiracy theory is that the league told the teams to split the first 6 and fight it out on (and only on) game 7.  how many millions will be watching hockey tonight and tomorrow night? 

the league engineered this. 

and i'm grateful for it :D

edit: since this is now bottom of the previous page, here goes again: can anyone recommend a bar to watch hockey in NYC?  preferably one where i could hear the commentary?  i watched the games last night at a place with gorgeous hi-def screens, but had to endure top-40 hitz over the PA.  ugh.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #361 on: May 13, 2009, 03:35:46 pm »
I'm sure xneverwherex can help you find a place.
27>34

godsshoeshine

o/\o

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #363 on: May 13, 2009, 04:07:40 pm »
i know of a lot of bars where you could see the game - but theres usually music or something going on. the bar across the street from where i am would prob put on a game with sound. its very much a local irish bar, but theyre all super friendly and usually put on anything. its on 50th & 10th - bar is Druids. Theres one next door - where its guaranteed to be showing 1-2-3 burger/shot/beer (i think is the official name of it) and they show all sports. also on 50th at 9th hibernia shows lots of games. i think they sometimes have the volume on there. i usually watch it from outside as im walking home.

but that meetup might be your best bet - as they prob have the volume definitely on there. if youre really having no luck - ill have it on later when i get home and you can always swing on by. just call me if you wanna do that.
HeyLa

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #364 on: May 13, 2009, 04:25:06 pm »
thanks for the suggestions.  that pens meetup is conveniently located since i'll be on the east side of midtown... hopefully the pen fans won't mind me cheering for the caps :D  hum, wonder if i packed any red t-shirts.  GO CAPS GO!
<sig>

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #365 on: May 13, 2009, 04:27:42 pm »
on that note - you can definitely not come over :)

thanks for the suggestions.  that pens meetup is conveniently located since i'll be on the east side of midtown... hopefully the pen fans won't mind me cheering for the caps :D  hum, wonder if i packed any red t-shirts.  GO CAPS GO!
HeyLa

godsshoeshine

« Reply #366 on: May 13, 2009, 04:42:22 pm »
i posted that just to be a jerk
o/\o

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #367 on: May 13, 2009, 04:45:01 pm »
So anyone going to be at Verizon Center tonight?????
I'll be there...can't wait to get out of here!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #368 on: May 13, 2009, 04:50:26 pm »
i posted that just to be a jerk

i suspected as much, definitely made me LOL.  but thinking about it, i'd rather be surrounded by hockey fans of some stripe than of indifferent drunks who happen to be in a sports bar.  and i really want commentary and the ability to hear the crowd inside verizon.

if i don't report back tomorrow morning, please send a search team to the alley behind 18 W 33rd St :D

chaz: i WISH i was at verizon tonight.  place will be insane.  enjoy the party!
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #369 on: May 13, 2009, 05:02:46 pm »
If I had an interest in a game 7, I couldn't imagine being around anybody.  I need to lock myself up for pretty much the duration of the Ducks playoffs and most certainly for a game 7. 

I tend to watch most game 7's by myself, although I do invite folks to join me if the Ducks aren't playing.  If the Ducks are playing though, you can forget about me being in public.  I take this shit way too seriously to be around anybody who does not (and more importantly, does not know me).

I'm difficult enough to meet for the first time when my teams aren't playing, you can forget about meeting me for the first time when my teams are in the playoffs.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #370 on: May 13, 2009, 05:05:21 pm »
haha, glad you liked it, sweetcell

i passed on going to my buddy's house because i think i will be completely insufferable tonight. he's even a pens fan
o/\o

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #371 on: May 13, 2009, 05:07:46 pm »
If I had an interest in a game 7, I couldn't imagine being around anybody.  I need to lock myself up for pretty much the duration of the Ducks playoffs and most certainly for a game 7. 

I tend to watch most game 7's by myself, although I do invite folks to join me if the Ducks aren't playing.  If the Ducks are playing though, you can forget about me being in public.  I take this shit way too seriously to be around anybody who does not (and more importantly, does not know me).

I'm difficult enough to meet for the first time when my teams aren't playing, you can forget about meeting me for the first time when my teams are in the playoffs.
Change Ducks to Red Wings and you pretty much have me. Taylor leaves or locks herself in the bedroom.

vansmack

« Reply #372 on: May 13, 2009, 05:10:38 pm »
Haha.  Smackette left for some spa in Santa Cruz this afternoon.  I won't see her until after the Ducks game tomorrow night.

If she has to suffer for my craziness, she at least wants to do it in style....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:13:11 pm by vansmack »
27>34

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #373 on: May 13, 2009, 05:19:39 pm »
Current ESPN poll...

Which road team is most likely to win game 7?

Ducks 17%
Hurricanes 20% (my selection)
Pens 63%
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #374 on: May 13, 2009, 05:21:04 pm »
BTW Good Luck to all you Caps fans tonight.  Even though I am not exactly the biggest Ovechkin fan in the world, my team is now out.  Hope y'all have reason to celebrate tonight.
FUKIT