Author Topic: holy shit kraftwerk!  (Read 37884 times)

hutch

Re: holy shit kraftwerk!
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2014, 12:23:18 pm »
What Mankie said. Eight years later.

Back in the seventies, Kraftwerk were good. But in 2005!!!!  :eek:  Come one, they had a very limited shelf life!! Especially after Mike Myers on Saturday night live and his "sprocket" (or whatever it was) skit. How could you ever take them serious again after that?

whatever happened to gallagher... is he in Florida yelling at kids to get off his lawn?

Kraftwerk? Limited shelf life?

Now that's funny.

I mean I guess it depends how you define "shelf life"....reallly its just an argument about semantics i'm guessing...but arguably their shelf life is unlimited...I mean electronics have take over music.. the computer , as they foresaw, in 1980, has kind of taken over the world and everything we do..I'm at my computer typing these words, you are at yours reading them... the kind of music they were making and the things they were talking about are the present and arguably still the future..

I mean yeah... things are not like this anymore... its hard to relate to these lyrics?

Interpol and Deutsche Bank
FBI and Scotland Yard
Interpol and Deutsche Bank
FBI and Scotland Yard

Business, Numbers
Money, People
Business, Numbers
Money, People

Computer World
Computer World

Interpol and Deutsche Bank,
FBI and Scotland Yard
FBI and Scotland Yard

Business, Numbers
Money, People
Business, Numbers
Money, People

Computer World
Computer World

FBI and Scotland Yard
FBI and Scotland Yard

Crime, Travel
Communication, Entertainment
Crime, Travel
Communication, Entertainment

Computer World
Computer World

Yada

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2014, 12:26:49 pm »
What Mankie said. Eight years later.

Back in the seventies, Kraftwerk were good. But in 2005!!!!  :eek:  Come one, they had a very limited shelf life!! Especially after Mike Myers on Saturday night live and his "sprocket" (or whatever it was) skit. How could you ever take them serious again after that?

Seriously, for a board that bitches about bands being past their prime, not being relevant, etc... Couldn't pick a better band than Kraftwerk.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2014, 01:25:30 pm »
i have never listened to them . . . should i?   or will i be clouded by the future that came after them?

hutch

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2014, 01:29:32 pm »
i have never listened to them . . . should i?   or will i be clouded by the future that came after them?

I don't know... if you listen to them you probably won't believe the fuss.. probably only would recommend if you're into music history or something

when music becomes largely adopted/coopted it sounds like nothing special..because everything that comes after it kinda sounds the same or rather builds on it......chuck berry is another good example

bearman🐻

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2014, 01:31:04 pm »

I just don't think electronic music would sound the same without Kraftwerk. They're kind of like the Velvet Underground of electronic music. I'd start with "the Man Machine" or "Trans Europe Express". The song "Metal on Metal" was probably one of the first industrial songs. Kraftwerk is one of my all-time favorite concerts. I really don't think that folks should miss this one. If you've never seen them before, don't miss it.

bearman🐻

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2014, 01:35:03 pm »

I don't know... if you listen to them you probably won't believe the fuss.. probably only would recommend if you're into music history or something

when music becomes largely adopted/coopted it sounds like nothing special..because everything that comes after it kinda sounds the same or rather builds on it......chuck berry is another good example

I disagree simply because Kraftwerk has the songwriting to back up what they were doing. "The Hall of Mirrors" still gives me chills. The austerity of Cold War Germany is so palpable that it's almost scary. I think anyone with an open mind will find a Kraftwerk LP that will make their jaw hit the floor, even now.

hutch

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2014, 01:48:38 pm »

I just don't think electronic music would sound the same without Kraftwerk. They're kind of like the Velvet Underground of electronic music. I'd start with "the Man Machine" or "Trans Europe Express". The song "Metal on Metal" was probably one of the first industrial songs.

^kinda makes my point for me... you're making an argument that Kraftwerk is important to music history.. I agree with you... but I doubt Walkie is a music "historian"....

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2014, 01:51:37 pm »
i just listen to music; if its good, then i like it.  not sure if anything else matters.

bearman🐻

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2014, 01:52:21 pm »

I just don't think electronic music would sound the same without Kraftwerk. They're kind of like the Velvet Underground of electronic music. I'd start with "the Man Machine" or "Trans Europe Express". The song "Metal on Metal" was probably one of the first industrial songs.

^kinda makes my point for me... you're making an argument that Kraftwerk is important to music history.. I agree with you... but I doubt Walkie is a music "historian"....

I don't understand though...are you saying that it's not good music? Or are you saying that we shouldn't listen to music unless it's current?

hutch

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2014, 01:57:25 pm »

I don't understand though...are you saying that it's not good music? Or are you saying that we shouldn't listen to music unless it's current?

yah its hard to explain...

its good music...it was revolutionary when it came out.. now its a bit dated... now some people enjoy music with great historic value..music of influence..they like figuring out what came first..what influenced what..

other people just want to listen to "good music"..they don't attach any value to the influence/pioneering aspect.. i think when acts like kraftwerk and chuck berry are stripped off of that aspect to their music they lose a lot of weight.....

ggw

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2014, 02:04:11 pm »

yah its hard to explain...

its good music...it was revolutionary when it came out.. now its a bit dated... now some people enjoy music with great historic value..music of influence..they like figuring out what came first..what influenced what..

other people just want to listen to "good music"..they don't attach any value to the influence/pioneering aspect.. i think when acts like kraftwerk and chuck berry are stripped off of that aspect to their music they lose a lot of weight.....

hutch

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2014, 02:08:18 pm »
I guess the thing about Kraftwerk is they have a very particular stage show... so Walkie maybe you would enjoy it.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2014, 06:57:16 pm »
did yall know that the kraftwerk, are getting a lifetime achievement award at this year's grammys?

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2014, 07:32:22 pm »
did yall know that the kraftwerk, are getting a lifetime achievement award at this year's grammys?

I thought you were kidding but took the bait anyway. Sho' nuff

And check this out: Kraftwerk: the most influential group in pop history?
😐 🎶

azaghal1981

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2014, 08:40:08 pm »
Totally nitpicking but giving them an early show slot is a little weird, no?
Don't get me wrong; early Kraftwerk is better than no Kraftwerk.

Edit: Maybe they will add a 2nd show?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:53:35 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد