Author Topic: Yet Another Just Announced Commetary Thread  (Read 83688 times)

James Ford

Re: Yet Another Just Announced Commetary Thread
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2010, 03:28:41 pm »
I think Leno's a turd and I'm board with anything that makes the turd smell worse.

maybe you should hang out with noone, you'll be less board.

Sorry, meant to say "on board".

Only if you insist.

I was hoping we could discuss the comedic merits (or lack thereof) of Conan.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2010, 04:21:48 pm »
Do you guys actually think Conan is funny? I mean actually funny?

I watched his show a number of times over the years, and I always felt sort of sorry for him. Here was a nice, dorky guy trying to be funny, and he really wasn't. But not too sorry for him. He made a bundle of money and didn't really need my pity.

I think Leno's a turd and I'm board with anything that makes the turd smell worse. But Conan? He's not really the savior of late night tv or standup comedy. Right?
Yeah, I agree almost entirely. Conan has his occasional funny sketches or moments, but they're just that: occasional. His absence from Late Night is no great loss; CBS' pairing of Letterman and Kilbourne/Ferguson has blown away NBC for the last decade. That said, Leno is the worst of the worst (full disclosure: never seen Carson Daily's show but imagine its similarly awful), and I think people are jumping on the Conan bandwagon just to take shots at that bewildering buffoon.

James Ford

« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2010, 04:29:21 pm »
Admittedly, i'm in bed at 9:30 or 10, and late night tv doesn't really register in my life anymore, especially since I have netflix and a roku.

Letterman was awesome in the 80's, but he's just a shell of what he once was now.

How about a back to back pairing of Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle?  Can anyone get that deal done? Black guys are so much funnier than WASPY white guys anyway.

« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2010, 04:40:48 pm »
How about a back to back pairing of Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle? 
IDK who I'd want to stab in the face first: Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, or you for proposing that garbage.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2010, 06:39:56 pm »
Craig Ferguson rules late night, IMHO.  Nobody else comes close.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2010, 06:41:16 pm »
I was thinking the same thing. I noticed that Ferguson has a show already scheduled at Carnegie Hall for Oct. 2010. Im tempted to get tickets.

Craig Ferguson rules late night, IMHO.  Nobody else comes close.
HeyLa

eltee

« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2010, 07:54:19 pm »
I adore Craig. He's hilarious.
I do like Conan, he's clever. Decided not to see his show - not for $100 or whatever is slightly less. I'd rather go see him during a taping wherever he lands. Although, an on the road show does sound fun...Iwho knows, maybe people will sell them cheap outside DAR, night of show.

Leno is a doof.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2010, 11:56:58 pm »
We've just started watching Ferguson, but will only DVR it if there is a guest we're interested in seeing.  I suspect he'd get a bit tedious night after night, but is worth watching in the occasional viewing.  He's got that ah shucks attitude along with not always taking himself so seriously that seems to allow the guest to let their guard down a bit, not unlike Jon Stewart.  He wants to be pals with the guest and not just someone hurrying through a bunch of questions.
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2010, 08:21:37 am »
I always felt sort of sorry for him. Here was a nice, dorky guy trying to be funny, and he really wasn't.

it always has to be about you, doesn't it?

Not to derail this excellent conversation about late night comedians (please do carry on!), but I've thought about your comment, slept on it, and came to the following decision.

First, I'm going to start a thread called "Things James Ford Thinks You Need to Know" and let it grow to 129 pages. But don't fear, I'll still comment in other threads when I see fit.

Secondly, if the Washington Post will give me blog space, I'll keep a list of the 200+ shows I see this year, rank them, and share them with everyone in internet land, because that's information I think people need to know.

So you guys really think I should give Craig Ferguson a shot? He's always seemed a little too "zany" for my tastes, like a Scottish Steve Martin.

And Julian, I was suggesting Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle, not the return of Arsenio. Both very funny, usually intelligent, sometimes insightful. Put "Good Hair" in your netflix queue. Fun movie.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2010, 10:09:05 am »
Did anyone here suggest James Ford watch Craig Ferguson?
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2010, 10:18:33 am »
Did anyone here suggest James Ford watch Craig Ferguson?

Julian endorsed him, so if I'm looking to talk about late night talk show hosts, I'd take that as a suggestion.

And Julian counts for at least three people, right?

eltee

« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2010, 10:28:12 am »
I dunno, Ford is right, Craig is a bit zany - might annoy him.
(oh and whomever asked about what's his name from MTV - his show is different now (interview setting, not sure they have an audience anymore) and he was never about humor. If that is what you are looking for in your TV night show host. Well, what about Kimmel / Fallon? Wait - that's it - James you should watch George Lopez!
I think we need an offshoot thread for this...

ggw

« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2010, 11:27:24 am »
I always felt sort of sorry for him. Here was a nice, dorky guy trying to be funny, and he really wasn't.

it always has to be about you, doesn't it?

Not to derail this excellent conversation about late night comedians (please do carry on!), but I've thought about your comment, slept on it, and came to the following decision.

First, I'm going to start a thread called "Things James Ford Thinks You Need to Know" and let it grow to 129 pages. But don't fear, I'll still comment in other threads when I see fit.

Secondly, if the Washington Post will give me blog space, I'll keep a list of the 200+ shows I see this year, rank them, and share them with everyone in internet land, because that's information I think people need to know.

I was kind of hoping you would start a "Hey James Ford" thread in which people would ask you questions or make requests to which you would rarely, if ever, respond.  I think that would be really cool.

« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2010, 11:41:04 am »
I was kind of hoping you would start a "Hey James Ford" thread in which people would ask you questions or make requests to which you would rarely, if ever, respond.  I think that would be really cool.
To be honest I've always wanted to do this but haven't because... well... Anyway, it would definitely be funnier with James Ford.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2010, 01:38:17 pm »
I think a heyjamesford Twitter feed followed by an army of spambots would make more sense
T.Rex