Author Topic: Dear Velvet Lounge (aka YOU SUCK):  (Read 29986 times)

rikki_nadir

Re: Dear Velvet Lounge (aka YOU SUCK):
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 11:08:44 am »
You think four fucking bands is too many to have on a weeknight when you're headliner isn't even coming on by the time the Metro closes?

Look, if that is past your bedtime, then what are you doing in a rock club anyway?

I don't care how bad of a fucking dive you run, or want to have, at least have your fucking headliners come on before the Metro closes. Have some fucking professionalism.

Maybe you should email your weekly itinerary to the club so that they can tailor each and every aspect of their venue to your exact specifications.

I'll never bitch about 9:30 or the Black Cat ever again.

Hope you enjoy paying those oh so reasonable bar prices and soaking up the ever predictable lineup of bands ad infinitum.

Well, on the other hand the shows at Pyramid Atlantic usually start promptly at 7 or 8 and are over within a couple hours (and are pretty decently attended). That's a much more palatable experience for a lot of people, and those shows are equally provocative.

True enough in some ways, but you are not exactly getting a club experience there. I regularly attend shows at  Pyramid Atlantic and always enjoy myself but that experience vs the Velvet is really an apples and oranges situation,
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:11:38 am by rikki_nadir »

hutch

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 11:43:15 am »
Another bitching thread. Geez... I've been in DC since 1993 and the Velvet Lounge is an important place .. they give up and coming or up and never coming bands a place to play! They also book some strange shows that simply don't sell enough to interest IMP or LN.. such as Eliott Murphy in his only DC show in probably 10-20 years! Or the guitarist from Television (Richard Lloyd I want to say)..I saw a great sabbathy metal band one time there and their manager rolled, lit and passed around a joint (grade a) to the crowd at 2 am... Its just a different place.

Its an important place.. Heck we still miss the Metro thank god for Velvet Lounge....

Do they start the shows too late? Yes, but its just that kind of place...

Honestly seems kind of oldfogeyesque to complain about them not synching their schedule with the metro schedule..

Personally I think DC needs places like the Velvet Lounge..lets not forget how U Street used to be with Asylum etc..

walkonby

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 11:45:04 am »
here's more to the bitch!  ;D

another reason to stop relying on metro for your rides to entertainment enjoiment.   :o

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Latest-Metro-Fail-Sleeping-on-the-Job.html

nkotb

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 12:58:50 pm »
Hey, at least I"m not griping about late show times!

Another bitching thread. Geez... I've been in DC since 1993 and the Velvet Lounge is an important place .. they give up and coming or up and never coming bands a place to play! They also book some strange shows that simply don't sell enough to interest IMP or LN.. such as Eliott Murphy in his only DC show in probably 10-20 years! Or the guitarist from Television (Richard Lloyd I want to say)..I saw a great sabbathy metal band one time there and their manager rolled, lit and passed around a joint (grade a) to the crowd at 2 am... Its just a different place.

Its an important place.. Heck we still miss the Metro thank god for Velvet Lounge....

Do they start the shows too late? Yes, but its just that kind of place...

Honestly seems kind of oldfogeyesque to complain about them not synching their schedule with the metro schedule..

Personally I think DC needs places like the Velvet Lounge..lets not forget how U Street used to be with Asylum etc..

snailhook

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 08:59:18 pm »
three points:

Well, on the other hand the shows at Pyramid Atlantic usually start promptly at 7 or 8 and are over within a couple hours (and are pretty decently attended). That's a much more palatable experience for a lot of people, and those shows are equally provocative.

hey, i love pyramid atlantic, too, and jeff surak is to be commended for picking up the experimental slack since 611 florida closed and i stopped booking the velvet lounge full-time.  however, pyramid atlantic is an art space and not a bar, so having shows from 7-9:30 works perfectly fine for them.  it is also a bit off the beaten path.  the velvet lounge relies on bar sales to make money, and it is imperative that we keep people drinking there from 8pm-1:30am...and 2:30am on the weekends. 

hutch nailed our aesthetic in this paragraph. nowhere else in dc will you see elliott murphy, richard lloyd, and hit a j at a doom-metal show at 2am. if this isn't your bag, so be it, but there are still some folks in the area who dig this scene, and this is who we cater to.

Wait, what happened to Jansch? I saw he bailed from the Al Stewart Birchmere show. Was he scheduled to play dates with Roberts too?

bellenseb, bert had surgery this month and had to cancel his whole tour. he's recovering well, and plans to reschedule in the spring.

betao

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 02:09:57 am »
The Velvet Lounge/Snailhook brought Ulrich Schnauss to DC last summer.

They are forever my friends.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 09:28:27 am »

recognize, bitches.  ulrich went on a 1:30 am to a half-empty room, and it was awesome.
<sig>

killsaly

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 02:57:25 pm »
I wish I would have caught that... Can we get a 2009 show?

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 02:59:15 pm »
Oh God... that night was epic. Please again!

Even another Auburn Lull/Screen Vinyl Image twofer (the openers along with... Luxa!, i think) would probably get a few of us back.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 03:33:38 pm »

Even another Auburn Lull/Screen Vinyl Image twofer (the openers along with... Luxa!, i think) would probably get a few of us back.

seconded.
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2009, 03:35:54 pm »

Ditto!

The Baltimore show at the Metro Gallery was even much better with a full set from Luxa and an impromtu jam from various band members after the show and most others left. It was Jake from SVI, Ulrich, 2 guys from Auburn Lull, Andy from Luxa. A great 2 nights! Sorry you missed it Killsaly. You would have loved it.

But yeah, DC and The Velvet Lounge deserves another shot at this.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2009, 03:37:48 pm »

seconded.
I went to ESL until like 4 that night too. Oh, my liver...

betao

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2009, 05:30:23 pm »

recognize, bitches.  ulrich went on a 1:30 am to a half-empty room, and it was awesome.

It was so awesome. I would definitely make that trip again.

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 09:55:21 am »
Its dope that Velvet is close to the metro. But just in case, keep a stash of cash on you for a cab if you need it. Great place to perform at and watch shows at.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2009, 05:23:26 am »
Summary of Thousand Made Up Love's rant:

"Dear Velvet Lounge, you suck for not accommodating my own personal needs in every imaginable way."

_\|/_