Author Topic: British Sea Power  (Read 20358 times)

Re: British Sea Power
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2004, 05:30:00 pm »
How do you judge whether a band is making "no effort though? Based on what Smackie said (below) and what Kosmo said, they obviously sucked, but are there really that many bands that bother to get up on stage and make "no effort"?

Just Monday at the Elefant show I was heckling the opening band, The Pleased, for being gawd awful and looking like a bad Tim Curry in Rocky Horror and the SF crowd was looking at me like I'm a freak. The lead singer was just a complete tool. He kept playing with the mic like he was Tim Curry from Rocky Horror (or maybe he was trying to be Diego from Elefant) and at one point the top half of the mic stand slid down into the bottom half because he slammed the stand down so hard. He couldn't get it out so he had to finish the song out on his knee so he could play guitar and sing the song.

Originally posted by mankie:
  I don't personally agree with heckling....but on the other hand, if a band makes no effort on stage for an audience who has paid to see them, then that audience has every right to voice their opinion.

poorlulu

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2004, 05:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  i'm guessin' some of the boardies have block this from their memory but...  The Pleased were the band that stunk up the stage when they played with Love at the Birchmere.  heckling them is the least the audience probably wanted to do at the time    :D  
oh my god i knew it sounded familiar............
 they were lucky we were at the shushmere..............

tell me did the girly keyboardist have her heidi smock on?

mankie

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2004, 05:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by Ballster:
  How do you judge whether a band is making "no effort though? Based on what Smackie said (below) and what Kosmo said, they obviously sucked, but are there really that many bands that bother to get up on stage and make "no effort"?

[/QB][/QUOTE]

I was referring more to this comment....

was defending the stage hand and letting the Pleased know that despite everybody's back being to you and chatting throughout your gawd awful performance, some of us are here to see you too (even own the album) and that you should give a little better effort. I'm sorry that Elefant isn't quite Berlin and The Psych Furs (who they are also opening for), but with an effort like this you should be lucky they haven't dropped you.

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2004, 05:46:00 pm »
Well how do you know the difference between whether a band is "making an effort", and whether they just plain suck? Why would they even bother showing up if they weren't going to make an effort? I can't imagine an opening act for Elefant would be doing the gig for the high pay involved.

mankie

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2004, 05:52:00 pm »
  Well how do you know the difference between whether a band is "making an effort", and whether they just plain suck? Why would they even bother showing up if they weren't going to make an effort? I can't imagine an opening act for Elefant would be doing the gig for the high pay involved.
Have you ever had one of those days were you just can't be arsed doing any work?

Well, I suppose musicians have them too.

markie

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2004, 06:02:00 pm »
It is a live performance. I always presumed it was meant to be somewhat interactive. Otherwise I would sit home and play the CD.

I am sure if a band doesnt like the heckles they can ignore them or tell someone to shut up.

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2004, 06:11:00 pm »
Yes, I've had those days. But if people were actually watching me, my pride would prevent me from withholding effort.

And in a cuthroat field where there are thousands of bands vying for a finite amount of the pie, not putting forth effort would kill a career rather quickly. It's not like they are gov't workers, where jobs are secure and nobody else wants the job anyway.

QUOTE]Have you ever had one of those days were you just can't be arsed doing any work?

Well, I suppose musicians have them too. [/QB]

mankie

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2004, 06:17:00 pm »
  Yes, I've had those days. But if people were actually watching me, my pride would prevent me from withholding effort.

And in a cuthroat field where there are thousands of bands vying for a finite amount of the pie, not putting forth effort would kill a career rather quickly. It's not like they are gov't workers, where jobs are secure and nobody else wants the job anyway.

QUOTE]Have you ever had one of those days were you just can't be arsed doing any work?

Well, I suppose musicians have them too. [/b]
[/QB]
How many bands have you seen multiple times?

Were their performances identical each time or were some better than others?

I've seen Badly Drawn Boy three times, the second time was pretty weak...on that tour a friend of mine saw him in Dublin. BDB made the comment in Dublin that he had just returned from his US part of the tour and that he'd put out some crap performances, and that he felt bad for the American audiences but he was just homesick so couldn't get into it.

Does that make him a bad musician...your personal opinions of him aside, I'm just using that as an example.

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2004, 06:27:00 pm »
Whatever.

I've had bad days at work where I didn't give 100% effort. Thankfully, neither my co-workers, boss, nor people that I interacted with chose to heckle me...

Oh wait, they did...when I taught math to 12 year olds.

poorlulu

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2004, 07:27:00 pm »

Oh wait, they did...when I taught math to 12 year olds.
And that is why you quit teaching?

vansmack

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2004, 07:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by poorlulu:
  oh my god i knew it sounded familiar............
 they were lucky we were at the shushmere..............

tell me did the girly keyboardist have her heidi smock on?
I knew you would understand.  Seriously, of about 100 people in the room, I was one of about 10 people actually watching the performance after the second song (and these guys are from SF!!!) and the antics of the lead singer were causing most of the problems.  Even the band members weren't facing him after a couple more songs, and that never happens.  But when he lit up the roadie guy, I had had enough of him and gave it back.  I wasn't ruining other concert goers experience, I was just letting the guy know that he was half assing it and I knew it.  The album is not bad (I listened to it again yesterday to make sure I wasn't going nuts), but live this performance was terrible, but damnit I paid my money and wasn't going to stand for a shitty performance.  I suppose I just could have gone on with my business like the rest of the crowd, but like Markie said, I could have stayed home and listened to the CD and not bought a ticket if I wanted to do that.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing them again next week when they open for the Furs.  I was going to pass on them but now I'm tempted to go to see if I just got them on an off night.  From the reviews of the Hushmere show, maybe these guys just suck live.  But now that I know, I won't heckle because I (a) know they suck now and won't be expecting much and (b) I chose to go knowing that they suck.  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.....

As for the attire of the Keyboardist/Clapper (let's be honest, she claps more than she plays keyboards), jeans and a white blouse, off the shoulder, with red cowboy boots (jeans tucked into the boots) and bright red lipsick).
27>34

brennser

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2004, 10:22:00 pm »
I've had bad days at work where I didn't give 100% effort.
really? doesn't seem to fit my image of you as a hard working government type   :D

Samantha

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2004, 04:39:00 pm »
have we decided if they're going to sell out or not?  cause I want to go to this show but I hate buying tickets in advance...

Bags

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2004, 04:42:00 pm »
I'm getting a ticket tonight...I'm not sure it will sell out (I hope it doesn't, I'm getting worse and worse with big crowds as the weeks much less the years crawl forward...), but I think there's a chance.  I've heard a lot of folks mention it, *off* the board.

But, it's a Monday night.  Worst night of the week for a show...I'm getting a ticket to force myself to go.   ;)

Samantha

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2004, 05:18:00 pm »
gr.  I'm trying to get the bf to go.  but I'm pretty sure he won't if it's a sold out show/we can't get tickets that night.  you're welcome to buy us tickets bags  :D  I'll give you a hug in return  :p