Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3224358 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10005 on: December 04, 2020, 12:10:32 pm »
Coconut, if done right, should be awesome in a stout. Unfortunately, I’ve never had one that I’d call awesome.

« Reply #10006 on: December 04, 2020, 12:53:06 pm »
personally, I think this is an outstanding beer
slack

hutch

« Reply #10007 on: December 04, 2020, 01:08:23 pm »
Coconut

WTf is wrong with you man?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10008 on: December 04, 2020, 03:24:27 pm »
Bringing it back to beer, coconut is the one adjunct that I found can make a pastry stout too sweet for me. I once tried to add coconut to a homebrew porter and the whole thing was a drain pour..though maybe it wasn't the coconut.
Coconut, if done right, should be awesome in a stout. Unfortunately, I’ve never had one that I’d call awesome.

coconut is indeed awesome in a stout, but it's a touch ingredient to pull off.  best commercial version i've ever tried is boulevard's imperial stout X with coconut. apparently firestone walker make both merlin and parabola with coconut but i've never tried them.

i tried once to add coconut to half a batch of homebrew, and didn't get it right... ended up dumping half the batch after i got tired of trying to choke it down.  coconut has a lot of lipids (oils and fats) which you generally don't want in you beer.  i suspect my attempt at dry-coconutting a beer failed because the oils went rancid: between the aging on coconut and then bottle-conditioning it was warm for at least a month.  might even have been two months.   a real shame because the beer (an imperial chocolate stout) was excellent, so i ruined half of a perfectly good batch trying to add that flavor.  should have left well enough alone.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #10009 on: December 04, 2020, 04:13:42 pm »

Dreams by Aslin is a pretty delicious coconut stout that is fairly easily accessible... They've released a few others that are good as well, but can't recall their names. Also, they're typicaly $8 a can which isn't very friendly.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10010 on: December 04, 2020, 04:32:16 pm »
Now that you mention it I think I've had one of those from Aslin. Was pretty good.

Not so good that I actually remembered it, apparently.

Space Freely

« Reply #10011 on: December 04, 2020, 05:32:54 pm »

Dreams by Aslin is a pretty delicious coconut stout that is fairly easily accessible... They've released a few others that are good as well, but can't recall their names. Also, they're typicaly $8 a can which isn't very friendly.

That's friendlier than the $16-$20 for a non-barrel aged 500ml Other Half pastry stout bottle. That said, the couple or three that I've tried from Other Half were all better than Aslin.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10012 on: December 07, 2020, 04:44:00 pm »
Coconut, if done right, should be awesome in a stout.

right on cue, Sapwood released a coconut stout this past weekend: https://sapwoodcellars.com/that-vanilla-life/
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #10013 on: December 07, 2020, 05:45:33 pm »

right on cue, Sapwood released a coconut stout this past weekend: https://sapwoodcellars.com/that-vanilla-life/

4.48 on untapped so far, not too shabby. Am I correct that they don't ship to any retail establishments in the DMV?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10014 on: December 07, 2020, 06:16:24 pm »

4.48 on untapped so far, not too shabby. Am I correct that they don't ship to any retail establishments in the DMV?

back in the day they had very little distribution and most of it (if not all) was kegs sent to bars/restaurants.  they have since acquired a canning line but i haven't seen them mention anything about distribution.  i suspect they still don't distribute.

you'll have to ping them to confirm. 
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #10015 on: December 07, 2020, 10:00:07 pm »
Sapwood doesn't send cans down here.

Another local coconut... I may grab this tomorrow, will report back.

https://www.silverbranchbrewing.com/product/endless-joy/

Space Freely

« Reply #10016 on: December 08, 2020, 09:31:55 am »
Sapwood doesn't send cans down here.

Another local coconut... I may grab this tomorrow, will report back.

https://www.silverbranchbrewing.com/product/endless-joy/

I visited Jailbreak's taproom a couple of years ago and the beer was meh, but they appear to have developed a good fruited sour game recently. Also, this coconut stout is raking in good reviews. DTC has four packs...if i could get a single can I'd give it a try.

https://untappd.com/b/jailbreak-brewing-company-oats-and-samoas-and-stuff/4069672

Yada

« Reply #10017 on: December 08, 2020, 10:07:18 am »
I'm surprised space stats is giving so much credit to beers that have been rated less than 100 times.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10018 on: December 08, 2020, 10:14:15 am »
Jailbreak has a couple good beers. A lot of it is so-so.

I’m definitely interested in Sapwood’s beer. Their heavy stouts are usually outstanding.

Yada

« Reply #10019 on: December 08, 2020, 11:39:18 am »
Jailbreak has a couple good beers. A lot of it is so-so.

I’m definitely interested in Sapwood’s beer. Their heavy stouts are usually outstanding.

I remember getting excited about Jailbreak's Big Pun in probably 2012 or so. Not sure I've had a beer of theirs since.