Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3204967 times)

WALKonBack

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9975 on: November 21, 2020, 07:25:32 pm »
Hey Space . . . going to visit Pen Druid tomorrow!!!! Any recommendations of what to get all drunk on first?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:27:06 pm by WalkOnBack »

WALKonBack

« Reply #9976 on: November 21, 2020, 07:26:34 pm »
Holy shit . . . I got first post, on page 666.

Space Freely

« Reply #9977 on: November 21, 2020, 08:04:14 pm »
Hey Space . . . going to visit Pen Druid tomorrow!!!! Any recommendations of what to get all drunk on first?

If you're a sour guy and like raspberries go with III on Raspberry or Ghosts. If you prefer cherry go with the Cerise. I liked III on Raspberry the best but Ghost has the highest ABV.

Orion, hoppy and tart, sounds good but I haven't had it.

Also tried the cider which was good for a cider but I'm not really I cider guy.

Have fun!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9978 on: November 21, 2020, 10:37:26 pm »
In Asheville for the week. Any place I need to try other than the Funkatorium which I get recommended from you guys every time I come here?
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #9979 on: November 22, 2020, 12:38:15 pm »
In Asheville for the week. Any place I need to try other than the Funkatorium which I get recommended from you guys every time I come here?

Burial is highly regarded for hoppy beers. New Belgium is a fun hang. And lots of people like Sierra Nevada, though it was too palatial for my bohemian tastes. No idea what places are open and in what regard with respect to COVID.

Caveat: I haven't been to Asheville for a few years, and like a Broken Social Scene show, I've never been to Burial.

Yada

« Reply #9980 on: November 22, 2020, 02:09:13 pm »
sapwood's memberships/clubs for 2021 now on sale:
https://sapwoodcellars.com/product/2021-sap-club-membership/
https://sapwoodcellars.com/product/2021-wood-club-membership/

also some damn tasty cans and bottles about to be released tomorrow:

"November 21st Can Release:

The Dragon ($20/4-pack) 8.0% ABV DIPA with Nelson Sauvin, Hallertau Blanc, and Mosaic Cryo. Most of our DIPAs are bright, fruity, and juicy... not The Dragon! It's a different sort of hoppy beer, that balances tropical against dank, spicy against winey. It is brewed with barley, oats, wheat and rye. We hop it with a blend of varieties that contain high levels of 3S4MP, which provides an aroma similar to Sauvignon Blanc's distinct grapefruit-rhubarb notes.

Cheater Hops #14 ($18/4-pack) 6.8% ABV IPA DDH with Motueka. A handful of hop varieties pack such appealing aromatics that brewing with them is like cheating. We named our ever-changing series of IPAs “Cheater Hops” in their honor. We are honest brewers, that's why we can admit when we cheat! We double dry-hopped Cheater Hops #14 with over four pounds-per-barrel of New Zealand Motueka for its lime, spice, and tropical fruit aromatics. Wheat and oats support the hops along with a bit of sweetness and a hint of vanilla from our house English ale strain!

If you want added variety, pre-order here for cans of a dark lager (Prophecy of the Clock), Double-Dry-Hopped IPL (Different But Same Same), Citra-hopped hazy pale ale (Rings of Light), or a stone fruit vanilla sour (Drupe Scoop) from the release two weeks ago. We also have bottles of Growing Season Cherry (our kriek-inspired barrel-aged sour) from last week's release!

All of the new releases are on tap already! During the release, Dizzy Cow Pizza will be here and we'll have indoor and outdoor seating available at the tasting room Friday through Sunday.

More info and pre-order"

(you can also order their kreik and other assorted cans)

Can confirm their bottle program has been mediocre at best.... Hops on the other hand are above average.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9981 on: November 30, 2020, 11:05:29 am »
Burial is highly regarded for hoppy beers.
This was pretty terrific and a fun spot.
LVMH

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9982 on: December 03, 2020, 03:25:36 pm »
My beloved Elder Pine temporarily shut down due to COVID exposure.

I had talked to my wife about going over after work today or tomorrow but I think this might push me into an early hibernation. Not worth it at this point.

Space Freely

« Reply #9983 on: December 03, 2020, 03:38:05 pm »
My beloved Elder Pine temporarily shut down due to COVID exposure.

I had talked to my wife about going over after work today or tomorrow but I think this might push me into an early hibernation. Not worth it at this point.

Bummer for them. Might do an online order for DTC and stop for a draft this weeekend if the outdoor area is empty....some really nice stuff on draft right now...

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9984 on: December 03, 2020, 03:53:40 pm »
Yeah DTC’s tap list is really good now. Never seen the patio empty tho.

Picked up a 4 pack(?) of St. Bernardus last week. Was a welcome change from DIPAs I’d been immersed in. Sadly the price point makes Other Half beers look like a bargain.

I do need to pick up some Bourbon County this weekend.

Yada

« Reply #9985 on: December 03, 2020, 04:55:45 pm »

Picked up a 4 pack(?) of St. Bernardus last week. Was a welcome change from DIPAs I’d been immersed in. Sadly the price point makes Other Half beers look like a bargain.

The Weller variant may be the best Bourbon County I've had in years... absolutely delicious. And speaking of Bourbon County, drank a 2014 on Thanksgiving with a big ole' piece of pumpkin pie, it was bliss.

Bagley

« Reply #9986 on: December 03, 2020, 05:20:44 pm »
Picked this up from DTC a couple weeks ago (my introduction to Veil).  Unique and delicious!

https://shop.theveilbrewing.com/product/triple-apri-guav-tastee-4-pack-16oz-cans/

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9987 on: December 03, 2020, 05:32:58 pm »
The Weller variant may be the best Bourbon County I've had in years... absolutely delicious.

Good to hear. That's the anniversary variant?

The variants have been ridiculously easy to acquire over the past couple of years but they don't appear readily available in my neck of the woods. Not right now anyway.  Last year they disapeared and then returned.

Space Freely

« Reply #9988 on: December 03, 2020, 05:44:32 pm »

The Weller variant may be the best Bourbon County I've had in years... absolutely delicious. And speaking of Bourbon County, drank a 2014 on Thanksgiving with a big ole' piece of pumpkin pie, it was bliss.

We had a 2016 with pecan pie and vanilla ice cream. Might make that a Thanksgiving tradition, just like i always have a Parabola with German chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream on my birthday.

Space Freely

« Reply #9989 on: December 03, 2020, 05:46:34 pm »
Picked this up from DTC a couple weeks ago (my introduction to Veil).  Unique and delicious!

https://shop.theveilbrewing.com/product/triple-apri-guav-tastee-4-pack-16oz-cans/

I didn't get that one but last time I was in DTC, they had a bunch of Veil singles in the cooler. Perfect if you're looking to try something, want variety, or don't want a whole four pack