Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3223906 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9990 on: December 03, 2020, 05:48:48 pm »
Yeah DTC’s tap list is really good now. Never seen the patio empty tho.

Picked up a 4 pack(?) of St. Bernardus last week. Was a welcome change from DIPAs I’d been immersed in. Sadly the price point makes Other Half beers look like a bargain.

I do need to pick up some Bourbon County this weekend.

I've stopped by in the early afternoon on a weekday after a hike a few times and had the patio/tent to myself, or close enough to empty.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9991 on: December 03, 2020, 05:51:15 pm »
Good to know.  Every time i go by it's half full at lease.

Bagley

« Reply #9992 on: December 03, 2020, 06:34:46 pm »

Picked up a 4 pack(?) of St. Bernardus last week. Was a welcome change from DIPAs I’d been immersed in. Sadly the price point makes Other Half beers look like a bargain.

I've stopped by in the early afternoon on a weekday after a hike a few times and had the patio/tent to myself, or close enough to empty.

Sugarloaf hike?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9993 on: December 03, 2020, 06:45:12 pm »
The Weller variant may be the best Bourbon County I've had in years... absolutely delicious.

Good to hear. That's the anniversary variant?

yup, per GI's website.

The variants have been ridiculously easy to acquire over the past couple of years but they don't appear readily available in my neck of the woods. Not right now anyway.  Last year they disapeared and then returned.

based on what i'm seeing, seems like the market for the "classic" BBA'ed stouts (BCBS, KBS, etc.) seems to have crashed.  demand just isn't there anymore.  i suspect it's because the novelty has worn off, the prices are too high and local breweries are making good versions.

my local total wine has the following variants available:
- regular, $13
- caramella, $17
- kentucky fog, $24
- special #4, $24

i'm not enthused about the late additions in the caramella ("wheatwine aged in Larceny Wheated Bourbon barrels with apple, cinnamon, and natural caramel flavor added after aging"), and i don't know if i can bring myself to spend $24 on a bottle... so not looking likely that i'll be picking up any variants this year.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #9994 on: December 03, 2020, 07:15:45 pm »

Sugarloaf hike?

Did Sugarloaf once when our kid was little, and didn't really care for it. When we head out 270, we either hike Harpers Ferry (Loudoun Heights) or Annapolis Rocks/Black Rock Cliff. Or we go to Rachel Carson (right net to Elder Pine!) if we want something flat and easy to take our 12+ year old dog to.

When iwego to VA, it's either Old Rag, White Oak Canyon, Mary's Rock, Little Devil's Stairs, or Big Devil's Stairs (boring, won't go back.)

I've been doing a lot of solo weekday hiking this Fall...lots of use or lose days to burn since i didn't burn many in the Spring or Summer.

« Reply #9995 on: December 03, 2020, 07:32:41 pm »
..lots of use or lose days to burn since i didn't burn many in the Spring or Summer.
man, wish I was in that position
been talking to people who are taking December off otherwise loose 60 hours of vacation time
slack

Yada

« Reply #9996 on: December 03, 2020, 08:38:06 pm »

The Weller variant may be the best Bourbon County I've had in years... absolutely delicious. And speaking of Bourbon County, drank a 2014 on Thanksgiving with a big ole' piece of pumpkin pie, it was bliss.

We had a 2016 with pecan pie and vanilla ice cream. Might make that a Thanksgiving tradition, just like i always have a Parabola with German chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream on my birthday.

Who knew we were so similar space? My go to cake every year is German chocolate as well. Hopefully your family doesn't bitch and complain that none of them like it.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9997 on: December 03, 2020, 09:11:22 pm »
OMG you guys

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9998 on: December 03, 2020, 09:11:36 pm »
This is really happening.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #9999 on: December 03, 2020, 09:11:55 pm »
Ten thousand replies...

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #10000 on: December 03, 2020, 09:12:10 pm »
...all about beer

Space Freely

« Reply #10001 on: December 03, 2020, 09:21:13 pm »

The Weller variant may be the best Bourbon County I've had in years... absolutely delicious. And speaking of Bourbon County, drank a 2014 on Thanksgiving with a big ole' piece of pumpkin pie, it was bliss.

We had a 2016 with pecan pie and vanilla ice cream. Might make that a Thanksgiving tradition, just like i always have a Parabola with German chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream on my birthday.

Who knew we were so similar space? My go to cake every year is German chocolate as well. Hopefully your family doesn't bitch and complain that none of them like it.

#10,001..about cake. Replied to this but seems it didn't post.

How could anyone bitch and complain about gcc? Geez. My wife and daughter bake the cake, so if they bitched and complained, they'd only have themselves to blame. My daughter basically loves anything with sugar it it, except beer and dark chocolate.

The pecan pie was chocolate pecan pie. Perfect with BCBS. Time for a diet.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10002 on: December 03, 2020, 09:45:37 pm »
Beer is still integers’ handmaiden.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #10003 on: December 04, 2020, 09:43:26 am »

How could anyone bitch and complain about gcc? Geez. 

Young kids that don't like coconut I guess.

Space Freely

« Reply #10004 on: December 04, 2020, 10:47:41 am »

How could anyone bitch and complain about gcc? Geez. 

Young kids that don't like coconut I guess.

Bringing it back to beer, coconut is the one adjunct that I found can make a pastry stout too sweet for me. I once tried to add coconut to a homebrew porter and the whole thing was a drain pour..though maybe it wasn't the coconut.

Cinnamon, on the other hand, is always a plus in a stout for me.