Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3220093 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #11070 on: June 30, 2022, 06:17:59 pm »
It's odd that some decent German 4 packs of bombers are waay cheaper than local brews 

Just seems crazy that they can ship it all the way from Germany and still be that much cheaper than a brewery only a few miles away
Is there some sort of Germany subsidy?

aa lot of things go in to explaining that price difference.

first, transpo isn't as big a cost as you might think.  when you're shipping containers full of beer, the cost per pack is pretty low.  those beers are distributed by big shipping networks.  also, getting a few 6-packs from Aslin to DTC probably isn't as cheap as you think.

you know how in real estate, the 3 most important things are location, location and location?  in brewing it's volume, volume and volume.  the breweries you listed are large, industrial breweries.  they brew something like 20 to 100 times more beer than anything local to you.  volume up = costs down.  they can make their beers cheaper and they're priced accordingly.

the there's ingredients: those german brewers spend less on ingredients per bottle/can of beer than your locals.  in addition to volume discounts, none of those beers are hop-forward like our IPAs, NEIPAs, etc., nor do they contain other expensive ingredients like vanilla beans, fruit, etc.  again, cheaper to make.

finally, you're comparing small(ish) batch local beers to (high-quality) industrial beers.  bitburger produces a damn fine lager, but in germany it's considered pedestrian.  it's what they serve at soccer stadiums and outdoor festivals.  it's not considered a premium product like craft beer, so in a way you're comparing apples to oranges.
<sig>

« Reply #11071 on: June 30, 2022, 06:40:13 pm »
I mean I do get that
but they are still cheaper than Miller lite and Yuengling ...which you would think would have all those advantages too

I did notice Heineken is selling at that price for their bomber 4 packs too

Fine with me, I actually really like some of these
slack

Yada

« Reply #11072 on: June 30, 2022, 09:23:31 pm »
I don't know the answer to that one but is it wrong that i'm thinking of bringing some Monkish and Other Half to Europe next week?

Not sure i want to rely on just wine and German beer for a two week vacation.

LOLSPACE

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11073 on: July 01, 2022, 12:37:23 am »
but they are still cheaper than Miller lite and Yuengling ...which you would think would have all those advantages too

yeah, that is strange.  maybe those german beers are being sold at cost or below, to gain market share?

you've switched from comparing to local craft beers, to mass-produced american light lagers, aka closer to apples-to-apples territory.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #11074 on: July 01, 2022, 02:14:47 am »

yeah, that is strange.  maybe those german beers are being sold at cost or below, to gain market share?

you've switched from comparing to local craft beers, to mass-produced american light lagers, aka closer to apples-to-apples territory.

I will report live on their cost in Munich vs. the cost of drinking your own beer from your free checked bags.

Ironically, you CAN get Other Half in Munich, at 13 euros a can.

https://www.biervana.eu/us-biere/other-half/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 03:18:14 am by Space Freely »

Yada

« Reply #11075 on: July 01, 2022, 09:27:36 am »
This may be peak space.... can someone confirm?

Traveling 4,000 miles with personal stash of beer.  :o :o :o :o

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #11076 on: July 01, 2022, 09:34:05 am »
You are going to a country well renowned for its beer and you're packing... beer?

Space Freely

« Reply #11077 on: July 01, 2022, 10:56:47 am »
You are going to a country well renowned for its beer and you're packing... beer?

Nine nights in Italy (Venice and Merano), four in Germany (Munich) and two in Austria (Salzburg.)

Space Freely

« Reply #11078 on: July 01, 2022, 10:58:54 am »

You never know when a botle share night break out. Or some rando on the street might want to trade some Cantillon for some Monkish.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #11079 on: July 01, 2022, 12:20:48 pm »

Hot take: Reinheitsgebot is shite

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11080 on: July 01, 2022, 12:34:43 pm »

that's not a hot take, it's confirmed knowledge.
<sig>

« Reply #11081 on: July 01, 2022, 12:42:38 pm »

well true....but there were some quality/health concerns

to stop unscrupulous brewers from adding dubious toxic and even hallucinogenic ingredients as preservatives or flavourings.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11082 on: July 01, 2022, 02:26:55 pm »

well true....but there were some quality/health concerns

to stop unscrupulous brewers from adding dubious toxic and even hallucinogenic ingredients as preservatives or flavourings.

at the time - some 500 years ago - it did indeed make sense.  water wasn't safe to drink, so beer was a must-have, and you couldn't risk idiots screwing that up too.  "hallucinogenic ingredients" refers to rye ergot

my point was that adhering to the Reinheitsgebot nowadays is stupid - and there are stupid homebrewers out there.  i don't see why you'd limit yourself that way.  even in germany today, those purity rules only apply to lagers which is kinda meaningless since 99% of lagers follow those rules anyways (only benefit is that it prevents the use of rice, corn, or sugar so they can't make crappy american adjunct lagers).  but some idiots try applying it to ales, which rant rant rant you can move on now if you haven't already
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #11083 on: July 01, 2022, 03:10:33 pm »

Nine nights in Italy (Venice and Merano), four in Germany (Munich) and two in Austria (Salzburg.)

Julian,  please have your assistant add these to the space vacation file.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11084 on: July 01, 2022, 03:37:21 pm »

Julian,  please have your assistant add these to the space vacation file.
Bitsy, could you update the space vacation file? Thanks.
LVMH