Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3170991 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9000 on: October 15, 2018, 11:43:10 am »
*Note: Neither of the two people mentioned were me.
guilt by association
great review of the event tho...
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9001 on: October 15, 2018, 11:52:04 am »
Anybody else hit up Snallygaster on Saturday? We took Metro in. We had to switch trains on the way home, and as soon as the train door opened, one person in our party flew out the door and projectile vomited on the platform several time. Another person had to pee so bad that they urinated on the platform. This was my first beer festival, I guess now I know what they are all about.

so you tasted dozens of beers, possibly along with interesting food, got to nerd out with thousands of other beer geeks, had a good time for several hours... but the experience is defined 2 individuals acting out of bounds? ;D
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9002 on: October 15, 2018, 01:14:19 pm »
Anybody else hit up Snallygaster on Saturday? We took Metro in. We had to switch trains on the way home, and as soon as the train door opened, one person in our party flew out the door and projectile vomited on the platform several time. Another person had to pee so bad that they urinated on the platform. This was my first beer festival, I guess now I know what they are all about.

so you tasted dozens of beers, possibly along with interesting food, got to nerd out with thousands of other beer geeks, had a good time for several hours... but the experience is defined 2 individuals acting out of bounds? ;D
You went to GwarBQ too?
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #9003 on: October 15, 2018, 01:20:06 pm »

Honestly those will be the two things etched in my mind forever.

« Reply #9004 on: October 15, 2018, 01:21:19 pm »

Sweets, I didn't know you went to SG...were you the urnaitor or the Puker?
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9005 on: October 16, 2018, 02:06:01 am »
in case climate change wasn't meaningful to you yet:

Climate change to cause global beer shortage, study says
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/health/beer-barley-climate-change-study/index.html

<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #9006 on: October 16, 2018, 07:55:22 am »
Favorite Snallygaster beers:

Crooked Stave Mama Bear Sour Cherry Pie Woodford Reserve Rye (Wild ale)
American Solera Blackberry Year Two Blend (Wild ale)
Other Half DDH Other Half Double Mosaic (DIPA)
Other Half Rice Proxy Treats (Imp Stout)
The Veil BBA Circle of Wolves (Barleywine)
Firestone Walker Coconut Rye Parabola (Imp Stout)
Southern Grist Strawberry Upside Down Cake (milkshake IPA)
Red Dragon Imperial Thus Passion (sour ale)

Disappointments:

The Cantillon on draft wasn't nearly as good as from a bottle
Founders CBS is still way too much of a sweet mess for me
I want to stick with the sentimental favorites, but Focal Banger from a can was good but if I went to VT I'd probably buy just a four pack and not the max.

The lobster roll was tasty. They gave my daughter* a VIP laminate which allowed her to get some free food samples. The Pietasters were fun as always. My wife and daughter called the festival "a complete waste of time."

The end.

*she was not the puker or urinator

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9007 on: October 16, 2018, 12:26:37 pm »
sounds like fun.  that was a solid flight of tasters.  i'd love to try the  Coconut Rye Parabola.

what was the cantillon they had on tap?  just their standard gueuze?

My wife and daughter called the festival "a complete waste of time."

really?  based on the social medias, the wife seemed to be enjoying herself...
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #9008 on: October 16, 2018, 02:32:54 pm »
sounds like fun.  that was a solid flight of tasters.  i'd love to try the  Coconut Rye Parabola.

what was the cantillon they had on tap?  just their standard gueuze?

My wife and daughter called the festival "a complete waste of time."

really?  based on the social medias, the wife seemed to be enjoying herself...

Yeah, my wife is fickle like that.  ;)

The Cantillons were: St Lamvinus, Nath,  Rose de Gambrinus, and Vignerrone. They all appeared to be on fraft. Conversely, the Drie Fontenein was poured from bottles.

Another one I really liked was the Horus Menush.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9009 on: October 19, 2018, 09:30:48 am »
Has anyone seen Sixpoint Meltdown on the shelves yet?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9010 on: October 21, 2018, 11:08:36 am »
y'all really need to get on this:

3 Stars presents: HOPFUNKFEST III
Sun. October 21st
1pm-7pm
We are at it again, bringing some of the best beers in the country right into DC’s back yard.

We will be showcasing tons of hop forward and sour beers in a celebration of everything delicious. Food vendors, live music performances and so much more. We have limited the number of tickets available this time around to cut down on lines.

This event will sell out and there will be no door tickets.

General Admission:
Tickets are $10 for GA which gains you entrance, a custom glass, and your first 2 drink tickets.

VIP
There are also a limited quantity of VIP experience packages which will get you into the event an hour before GA (12pm start time for VIP), a VIP giftbag, and 4 additional drink tickets, plus a limited release 4-pack, these packages are $50 and available on a first come, first served basis.

All tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable. .  .

http://3starsbrewing.com/events/
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hopfunk-fest-iii-tickets-50755737778

Full beer list now published at above links. Low ticket warming. Today.
<sig>

« Reply #9011 on: October 22, 2018, 02:31:08 pm »
Merdian Pint coming out to Arlington!
https://www.arlnow.com/2018/10/18/meridian-pint-aims-to-open-first-arlington-location-in-dominion-hills-by-spring-2019/
in the Dominion Hills Centre shopping plaza.....somewhat related

this is were the infamous Nazi party Arlington meet up  was last year
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/08/25/shocking-neo-nazis-fly-swastika-salute-at-shopping-center-where-leader-was-killed/?utm_term=.085a875b32da

where the American Nazi Party, whose founder, George Lincoln Rockwell, was shot to death at the Dominion Hills Centre on Aug. 25, 1967.

But in better news...they are rebuilding the Powhattan springs skate park across the street
The Powhatan Springs Skate Park ...hopefully opening in spring 2019
Not sure why they had to tear down the old one...but the new one looks killer

slack

hutch

« Reply #9012 on: October 22, 2018, 05:46:27 pm »
Cool...that is a mile from me

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9013 on: October 23, 2018, 03:10:30 pm »
churchkey is hosting some ridiculous events... full details here

TONIGHT: AN EVENING WITH THE BRUERY
Meet & Greet with Founder Patrick Rue
Tuesday, October 23rd at 4 PM
(lots of bruery barrel-aged weirdness)

NIGHT OF THE LIVING ALES: PART 8
40 Bone Chilling Wild & Funky Ales
Wednesday, October 31st at 4 PM
(crooked stave, hill farmstead, jester king, lost abbey sours, and a whole lot more)

FOUNDERS CBS 2018 RELEASE PARTY!
Friday, November 2nd at 4 PM
(with KBS and several other founders rarities)
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9014 on: October 24, 2018, 07:05:44 pm »
national brand beers i've been enjoying recently:

- Lagunitas: Mozango: probably the best fruited IPA i've ever had (ok, that's not the highest praise i can give a beer since i'm generally pretty meh on fruit in my IPAs).  noze is amazing.  mosaic hops already bring the mango, so adding actual fruit turns it up to 11.  at $5/bomber i will be stocking up on my next grocery shopping trip.
- Rogue: Dead'n'Dead: dead guy ale aged in dead guy whiskey barrels.  frikken fantastic.  big malt bomb with a really nice whiskey heat finish.  decently priced too, 8 or 9 bucks/bomber.  costco on market st NE supposedly has some in stock.

national brand beer that i drain-poured after two sips:

- Rogue: Combat Wombat.  some sour IPAs are really good and some are merely OK, but this was the first one that i've had that was downright undrinkable.  i wonder if i got a bad bottle, since reviews on BA seem to be quite positive.  YMMV?
<sig>