Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3206590 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9375 on: July 15, 2019, 01:21:52 pm »
We talking mini fridge full...or 2 x 4-packs full

I am fairly certain that $9 drafts will likely tip the scale on the Space per ounce ratio

they got the draft list finally posted correct
https://www.aslinbeer.com/copy-of-beer-2

some dangerous stouts on there
Glamping - Imperial Stout - 15%
Pisghetti Western - Imperial Stout - 15%
Honolulu - Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout 16.5%
Honolulu is a Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout aged for over 20 months and blended with four different bourbon barrels. After all that aging it was conditioned on toasted coconut and a Mexican coffee blend from our friends at Mostra Coffee.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:28:45 pm by Idiopathic-Hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9376 on: July 15, 2019, 02:42:01 pm »
We talking mini fridge full...or 2 x 4-packs full

I am fairly certain that $9 drafts will likely tip the scale on the Space per ounce ratio

they got the draft list finally posted correct
https://www.aslinbeer.com/copy-of-beer-2

some dangerous stouts on there
Glamping - Imperial Stout - 15%
Pisghetti Western - Imperial Stout - 15%
Honolulu - Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout 16.5%
Honolulu is a Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout aged for over 20 months and blended with four different bourbon barrels. After all that aging it was conditioned on toasted coconut and a Mexican coffee blend from our friends at Mostra Coffee.

I have a much better selection of Aslin stouts in my basement than they do on draft in their taproom.

« Reply #9377 on: July 15, 2019, 03:37:23 pm »
Aslin taproom opens today.
also note
At this location, Aslin has waded into the debate over kids in breweries by closing the taproom to children beginning at 7 PM, and they do not allow dogs.
not very woke of them...but now Julian can go after 7PM he just can't bring a date
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9378 on: July 15, 2019, 04:05:50 pm »
I have to admit I was a little blindsided by this drive-by thrashing I just received.
LVMH

« Reply #9379 on: July 15, 2019, 04:09:43 pm »
seems to be all the rage
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9380 on: July 18, 2019, 06:55:23 pm »
this probably amounts to preaching to the choir, but here goes anyways:

Watch the Hands, Not the Cards — The Magic of Megabrew

^ for the next time someone asks you why AB InBev is buying yet another craft brewery.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #9381 on: July 19, 2019, 03:12:58 pm »
Maine Beer Company Dinner on draft at H Street Whole Foods. 16 oz for $9. No growler fills. As a beer geek, I believe I'm required to stop by for one after work.

vansmack

« Reply #9382 on: July 19, 2019, 04:07:48 pm »

^ for the next time someone asks you why AB InBev is buying yet another craft brewery.

tldr; $
27>34

« Reply #9383 on: July 19, 2019, 04:16:00 pm »

tldr; $
it was a pretty good read, but your summary is accurate

Was interesting to understand it has a lot more to do with their brand value of their flagship brands, than buying up the competition and screwing over those left

The big guys always had a tight control on distribution
but now they are really f'n with sourcing of ingredients and they are trying to push the price down of craft 6 packs of the ones they bought
mostly so their shit swill can still be called 'premium'
but obviously will push out the small guys who are already running on thin margin

Beer is so freaking expensive now...Once the economy takes even the slighted downturn, LOTS of these craft breweries are going to implode
but honestly it's needed, some good ones won't survive...but what can ya do

On a side note...this was a good read from that same site
How Nitro Transformed Beer and Coffee

Although nitro now feels ubiquitous in the coffee and beer worlds, it’s a relatively new innovation .... nitro was a happy accident first developed by Michael Ash in the 1950s while he was working on improving Guinness’ shelf life.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 04:18:39 pm by Hyper-engaged-Hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9384 on: July 19, 2019, 05:29:30 pm »

tldr; $

it was a pretty good read, but your summary is accurate

i'd say it's accurate (it's ultimately about money) just lacking in detail (to be expected in a one-character summary of a 2,000 word article).

my summary: AB uses the corpses of craft breweries to prop up Bud Light.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #9385 on: July 22, 2019, 09:13:14 am »
My wife asked me to take her on a date Saturday to either Dominion Wine and Beer or Aslin Alexandria. We did the latter.

First time there, Saturday mid-afternoon. Crowded and loud. They ran out of take home beer in Herndon Friday and Alexandria Saturday. I wonder if it's going to always be like that for a while going forward.

My wife's first comment: "They need to hire some cute female bar staff." My reply: "Or at least some cute guys."

Overall, a good time, Beer was great and we lucked into a pair of seats.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9386 on: July 22, 2019, 09:20:00 am »
My wife's first comment: "They need to hire some cute female bar staff." My reply: "Or at least some cute guys."
Another witty bit of banter from the First Couple of Snarky Wokeness.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #9387 on: July 22, 2019, 09:36:58 am »
Another witty bit of banter from the First Couple of Snarky Wokeness.

It's almost like they went out of their way to hire only ugly men to pour the beer. Instead of money, they are probably paying staff with cans of 15% stout to drink on 100 degree days, so that's the kind of applicant they attracted.

The beer is amazing, but if I'm going to pay a premium to drink it in the taproom instead of at home from the can, I want eye candy, damnit. The Veil actually hires some (reasonably) cute people to pour their beers, why can't Aslin?

On another note, the Space itself reminded me of the Grimm taproom in Brooklyn. Only it was populated with white milquetoast suburbanites instead of white hipsters.

hutch

« Reply #9388 on: July 22, 2019, 09:39:29 am »
Hooters is for you!

Space Freely

« Reply #9389 on: July 22, 2019, 09:43:27 am »
Hooters is for you!

How is their NEIPA and sour selection?