Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181445 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9465 on: September 15, 2019, 09:08:39 pm »
How was the Aslin party? Any highlights/disappointments?

The first few Aslin fests tricked me into thinking I like attending these things... Yesterday reminded me why I probably won't attend another one for years to come.

It wasn't bad by any means but shit loads of people every where (Kai told me 3,100 tickets were sold) and to be honest actually way too many beers. I refuse to wait in line for any beer and went there without any beers I had to try. By 4pm there was basically no beer left.

A couple favorites

Barreled Souls - Stay Puft (Imperial Stout with Marshmallows)
Sapwood - Galactic Burst (haaaze)
More - Another haaaze beer, can't even recall the name
Abraxas is always a treat and it's interesting to see how you could walk up and get 5oz pours at leisure vs. hype pastrys with 20 people deep

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9466 on: September 19, 2019, 06:48:11 pm »
Here’s What’s Brewing in the New Smithsonian Beer Collections
After two years of documenting the nation’s craft brewing industry, curator Theresa McCulla makes ready for a public debut
<sig>

« Reply #9467 on: September 20, 2019, 09:42:52 am »
^ Skimmed through that and looks like a good read.

but saw this at the end that was worth noting
The museum’s fifth annual Food History Weekend takes place November 7 to 9, 2019. On November 8, craft brewing pioneers Fritz Maytag, Michael Lewis, Charlie Papazian, and Ken Grossman, founder of Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, will speak at the after-hours event “Last Call.” Attendees can sample several of the historic beers created by this star-studded panel of speakers.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/events/food-history-weekend

The Last Call: Brewing History After-Hours
Friday, November 8, 2019, at 6:30 p.m.

Join us for an evening of conversation with several of the most transformational figures in the beer industry and brews spanning the spectrum of the craft beer revolution. Also enjoy after-hours access to the FOOD exhibit and brewing history objects out of storage, including recent acquisitions.

Tickets: $45 — Purchase before October 1 to receive $10 off!
Brewing a Revolution

A conversation with the founders of craft beer: Fritz Maytag, former owner of Anchor Brewing Company; Ken Grossman, founder of Sierra Nevada Brewing Company; Charlie Papazian, past president of the Brewers Association and founder of the Association of Brewers; and Michael Lewis, professor emeritus at University of California, Davis.

Craft beer tastings with:

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (Milton, Delaware)
    Anchor Brewing Company (San Francisco, California)
    Sierra Nevada Brewing Company (Chico, California, and Mills River, North Carolina)
    Raleigh Brewing Company (Raleigh, North Carolina)
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9468 on: September 20, 2019, 10:09:43 am »
Which one of these doesn't belong with the others?

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (Milton, Delaware)
    Anchor Brewing Company (San Francisco, California)
    Sierra Nevada Brewing Company (Chico, California, and Mills River, North Carolina)

« Reply #9469 on: September 20, 2019, 10:30:54 am »
First time I've ever heard of these guys
opened in 2013
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9470 on: September 20, 2019, 10:40:49 am »
First time I've ever heard of these guys
opened in 2013
I've been in Raleigh easily 6-8 times a year for the last 5 years, and I've never heard of these guys either.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #9471 on: September 23, 2019, 05:21:45 pm »
Fun stumbling on this

pick a number between 1 and 10

Yada

« Reply #9472 on: September 25, 2019, 11:41:50 am »
Absolute massive amounts of OH at Downtown Crown

Space Freely

« Reply #9473 on: September 25, 2019, 11:55:06 am »
Absolute massive amounts of OH at Downtown Crown

Thanks for posting. We'll be passing through that area on Saturday. Wonder if any will be left?

Had an Other Half beer at CK called Cobbler Jams. It was a sour IPA. Wish they were sending down that one in cans.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9474 on: September 25, 2019, 12:03:00 pm »
Has anyone had TreeHouse (MA)? I'm heading up there in a few weeks and will be staying verrry close by.

« Reply #9475 on: September 25, 2019, 12:06:11 pm »
Has anyone had TreeHouse (MA)? I'm heading up there in a few weeks and will be staying verrry close by.
never had...but there is lots of love and good rankings
It is considered by some to be amongst the best breweries in the United States, including public beer-rating sites like Untappd (ranked 8th best brewery in the country) and Beer Advocate (brew 3 out of the top ten beers in the country), as well as sites including Forbes, the Boston Globe, and Thrillist

I know a few bordies have went an waited in line there to get cans
I imagine the lines are not crazy like the used to be
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9476 on: September 25, 2019, 12:18:19 pm »
Ahh cool so worth swinging by, then.

Space Freely

« Reply #9477 on: September 25, 2019, 12:24:27 pm »
Ahh cool so worth swinging by, then.

Woah yes. Probably the one brewery whose beer I have yet to check off my bucket list.

I'll never forgive my brother, who on a New England roadtrip, once chose to bypass Tree House while stopping at numerous other breweries, among them Smuttynose.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #9479 on: September 25, 2019, 01:18:36 pm »

Yes and definitely worth it... I will say it's not the blow your socks off place it once was as haaaaze has caught up everywhere but still great beer and an absolute gorgeous facility and outdoor space.

It would probably make sense to make sure there isn't some nutty beer being released the day you plan to visit as it could definitely ruin the experience.