Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182042 times)

Bagley

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2009, 05:43:16 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Slappy, heard it was coming.  Look forward to many nites ahead worshipping at the sacred alter of the exalted brewmeister.

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2009, 09:17:48 pm »
Anyone like Peroni?

does nothing special for me, it's a light summer-time beer IMO.  tastes better in italy, because everything tastes better there. 

Shock Top?

i'm a big fan of wheat beers so i was excited when i heard about this... but it gets a "meh".  a little too sweet.

Or if you're broke....PBR?

the official beer of indie rock.

I've only had Peroni at two places. I don't see it around too much.

Shock Top, I got at a cornerstore. For a beer thats made by Michelob, I would think they would be everywhere.

PBR is definitely the indie rock beer.

James Ford

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2009, 07:52:04 am »
Peroni is the Budweiser of Italy.

Barcelona

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2009, 04:15:47 pm »
Parbo, the beer from Suriname is quite good.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2009, 06:14:25 pm »
i actually prefer this one to the dogfish head punkin ale.
it's made by the brooklyn brewery.

nothx

James Ford

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2009, 06:55:58 pm »
i actually prefer this one to the dogfish head punkin ale.
it's made by the brooklyn brewery.

Not to be contrary, but hated the medicinal aftertaste on that one. Maybe we got ahold of a bad bottle.

Their Oktoberfest beer was pretty boring too, Byt then again, aren't all Oktoberfest beers boring?

Their black choclate stout is dangerously good though.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 07:15:06 pm by James Ford »

grover.37

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2009, 11:17:37 am »
whoah - its a 1/2 price happy hour?? what did those beers end up running you? and to think I've been wasting my time at the Big Hunt, which incidentally has a beer selection, on draught at least, to rival PP's

It's only on Tuesday and Wednesday from 5-7p.  Most beers run 6-9$ so that's a steep discount on some rare/expensive stuff.

The new location in Dupont is nice but smaller than the Georgetown location (the tiny bars are about the same size).  They also only have about half as many draft selections.  It's still worth visiting and definitely more convenient than going to Georgetown (ugh). 

I haven't been to the Big Hunt for many years, but I feel like I'd be the olderst person there by at least ten years.

Any thoughts on Cap City beers? Thinking of hitting the one in Shilrlington. Of those I can remember, the Porter is ok, the Pumpkin is good, and the Fuel is very good. Anybody had the Bourbon Stout?

Capitol Kölsch
Amber Waves
Pale Rider
Prohibition Porter
Cask Ale
Organic Wit
Fuel
Oktoberfest
Pumpkinator
Organic Trippel
Oak Aged Bourbon Stout

I'm a big fan of Cap City but I may be biased due to its location inside the building of my place of work (Postal Museum - Capital Hill / Union Station location).  You are about right on their best beers - porter, fuel - but I've never had the Bourbon Stout.  The Wit is worth trying if you liek that kind of beer.  I found the Tripel to be very underwhelming.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:19:09 am by grover.37 »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2009, 11:40:29 am »

Impossible to exaggerate how good that beer is.

Question for the experts here.....where can I get a good cask ale in the DC area?  Went to Paradiso many moons ago and their keg was dead.  Have had the cask ale at Rock bottom but was unimpressed.  Been looking for a decent cask ale since having them in London....and haven't had any luck.

James Ford

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2009, 11:53:39 am »

Impossible to exaggerate how good that beer is.

Question for the experts here.....where can I get a good cask ale in the DC area?  Went to Paradiso many moons ago and their keg was dead.  Have had the cask ale at Rock bottom but was unimpressed.  Been looking for a decent cask ale since having them in London....and haven't had any luck.

Birch and Barley, which opened yesterday, is supposed to have five casks. (and 50 taps and 500 bottles.)

slappy

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2009, 12:09:38 pm »

I've only had Peroni at two places. I don't see it around too much.

They sell Peroni at the Verizon Center.
They even have the real original Budweiser from the Czech Rep. under the name Czechvar.
... if you're into lagers.

VC now might have one of the best beer selections of all the North American arenas.

James Ford

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2009, 01:15:31 pm »
This probably belongs in this thread. On tap at BBCK.

yum yum yum

Palo Santo Marron Dogfish Head Craft Brewery American Brown Ale Delaware 12.0%

A long, but  interesting article about this brew and others...

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/11/24/081124fa_fact_bilger

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2009, 02:04:46 pm »
VC now might have one of the best beer selections of all the North American arenas.

That's a shame because buying a beer at VC during a hockey game is nothing short of painful.  If it weren't for the kiosk outside my gate I'd never buy beer in that joint.

Not an arena....but Camden Yards' beer selection seems a bit better than VC's. IMO.

James Ford

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2009, 03:33:05 pm »
Belga Cafe over on Capitol Hill has a bunch of events on the horizon to celebrate their 5th Anniversary, but one thing you shouldn?t let slip through all their festivities is their newest regular offering: Happy Hour!

From 4-6PM Monday through Friday, Belga will be offering half priced draft beers! That?s right tasty Belgian beers for half the price that you will normally pay for them. There will be some Belgian stadanrds of course, but there will also be a few gems from time to time. Last time we checked they had Stella Artois (3.50), Hoegaarden (3.25), Rodenbach ($3.75), Leffe Brown, Grimbergen Dubbel, Belga Pils, Belga White to choose from.

Check it out and look here for some previews of their other events later this week!

thirsty moore

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2009, 03:38:09 pm »

I really like Commonwealth up in Columbia Heights. They have two casks. Also, the bar is right next to the metro entrance. Easily accessible.

brennser

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2009, 09:46:32 am »
tried the founders breakfast stout yesterday at the Big Hunt - incredible