Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181533 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #900 on: December 19, 2011, 10:34:39 am »
I think it's been discussed at some point in this thread, but how is the Pearl Jam 20th Anniversary Dogfishhead Brew??

Picked up two bottles of the weekend.

pearl jam beer . . . is excellent.  even with currants.

James Ford

« Reply #901 on: December 19, 2011, 11:11:07 am »
Question for those who have a bottle stash in the cellars...

Which brewery do you have the most bottles from? My current top three are:

Founders: 22 bottles
Victory: 20 bottles
Ommegang: 17 bottles

Unibroue (counting TJ's Vintage) and Lagunitas are close behind.

My problem is I buy more beer than i drink.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #902 on: December 19, 2011, 11:58:57 am »
yep . . . crackhead.

fatskippy

« Reply #903 on: December 19, 2011, 12:18:38 pm »
I'm not going to match it against the Belgian holiday offerings, but I would say this is the best holiday themed beer produced by a North American brewery. Ever.

This beer is really really good

James Ford

« Reply #904 on: December 19, 2011, 12:28:15 pm »
*Might* be my favorite under-$10 six pack ever.

Word is they're releasing another batch and renaming it Holiday Leftovers Ale.

Regardless of the name, i'm hoping it becomes an annual seasonal release. It will be my go to for sure!

I'm not going to match it against the Belgian holiday offerings, but I would say this is the best holiday themed beer produced by a North American brewery. Ever.

This beer is really really good

Yada

« Reply #905 on: December 19, 2011, 01:37:18 pm »

I don't have a cellar, I just have an extra fridge.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #906 on: December 19, 2011, 01:37:38 pm »
had some friends over yesterday for a holiday get-together, and folks brought several seasonal holiday ales (none were lagunitas, unfortunately - sounds like i need to track down some of that).

in order of preference:
- Anderson Valley Winter Solstice: omg omg omg this is delicious.  caramel?  vanilla?  not sure, but it's one of the tastier winter brews i've had since... well... last week (but to be fair, that was an exceptional week).  highly recommended.
- Anchor's 37th Our Special Ale: solid.
- Breckenridge Christmas Ale: somewhat pedestrian.

also had Dogfish Head's Theobroma ("ale brewed with honey, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, ancho chilies and ground annatto").  t'was pretty good and not particularly spicy.  it was better then their Red & White but still a little too weird and not worth the price.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #907 on: December 19, 2011, 02:15:57 pm »
we need to bring http://www.taphunter.com/ to DC.

Which brewery do you have the most bottles from?

i don't have much in the way of aging beer: 10 old dominion barleywines and a 4-pack of unibroue.  i'll up the unibroue count if i can make it to TJ's before they run out.  my cellar is mostly made up of 25-30 bottles of red wine collecting dust.
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #908 on: December 21, 2011, 12:44:28 pm »
*Might* be my favorite under-$10 six pack ever.

Word is they're releasing another batch and renaming it Holiday Leftovers Ale.

Regardless of the name, i'm hoping it becomes an annual seasonal release. It will be my go to for sure!

Had some of this at Black Squirrel.  It is indeed very good.  I wouldn't trample babies to get my hands on it, but it's good stuff nonetheless.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #909 on: December 22, 2011, 12:24:46 am »
Had the 3 Floyds Alpha Klaus tonight. Holy sh*t, it was delicious. Very chocolatey stout, one of the best I've had this year.

brennser

« Reply #910 on: December 22, 2011, 12:54:11 am »

Interesting. What do you have from Victory? Is is ageable stuff or do you just happen to have bought a case of it recently?

Dogfish: 24 bottles (2 vintages of Bitches Brew and Life and Limb, some Immort, 120 min and Pearl Jam)
Founders: 20+ bottles ('10 and '11 KBS, '10 and "11 BS, Backwoods Bastard, Nemesis and some Double Trouble that is way past its sell by date)
Goose Island: (BCBS, King Henry, Night Stalker and Big John)
Sierra Nevada: 8 (a variety of 30th anniv beers)

Other random stuff: Troegs Mad Elf, Brooklyn Black Ops, Firestone Walker Parabola, The Abyss, Alesmith Speedway Stout and a few other bits and pieces

wml7

« Reply #911 on: December 22, 2011, 02:16:46 am »

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #912 on: December 22, 2011, 09:43:08 am »
Had a Schlafly Christmas Ale with my latkes and matzah ball soup last night at Star & Shamrock, very tasty
(o|o)

James Ford

« Reply #913 on: December 22, 2011, 10:09:15 am »
Nice!

As far as Victory goes...they don't have a "killer" beer like Hopslam or KBS, but they do a wide range of stuff very well, imo. They are all winners in the value/quality department, and put nearly everything out in 12 oz six pack bottles (which i definitely prefer to bombers)

In my cellar I have (all of these are higher abv and came in well priced six packs (not four and not bombers!):

Old Horizontal (American Style Barleywine): heard they weren't making it this year, but found a bunch of six packs from last year (and grabbed one) from a small grocery store chain store in Indiana with a shockingly good craft beer selection. It's a hoppy barleywine somewhat reminiscent of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot

Moonglow (Weizenbock): Not really one of my favorite styles, but this one is nice. Probably my second favorite in style, second only the Schneider Avenitus (but cheaper!)

Yakima Glory (Black IPA): Actually more dark amber than black....excellent rich mix of hop bitterness and roastiness.. not my *favorite* black ipa, but probably the best one that I can get in VA that comes in a six pack (until Southern Tier starts six packing their black ipa in 2012)

Storm King (Imperial Stout): Very good, on the hoppier side for an imperial stout. Compares in value and quality I think to Old Rasputin

Don't have but have tried:

Hop Devil (IPA):decent, but there are obviously so many (better) ipas on the market, I don't bother with this one.
Hop Wallop (DIPA): very good, but again too many better competitors
Prima Pils (Pilsner): Gets high marks on BA and RB (and from my pilsner loving friend), but I'm not a pilsner guy...

Interesting. What do you have from Victory? Is is ageable stuff or do you just happen to have bought a case of it recently?

Dogfish: 24 bottles (2 vintages of Bitches Brew and Life and Limb, some Immort, 120 min and Pearl Jam)
Founders: 20+ bottles ('10 and '11 KBS, '10 and "11 BS, Backwoods Bastard, Nemesis and some Double Trouble that is way past its sell by date)

Other random stuff: Troegs Mad Elf, Brooklyn Black Ops, Firestone Walker Parabola, The Abyss, Alesmith Speedway Stout and a few other bits and pieces

Yada

« Reply #914 on: December 22, 2011, 10:11:08 am »

Prima Pils (Pilsner): Gets high marks on BA and RB (and from my pilsner loving friend), but I'm not a pilsner guy...

Gotta say, Prima Pils is my favorite Victory brew.