Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3183546 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #960 on: January 06, 2012, 01:45:53 pm »
James, I wonder how many of your beers are spoiled?

Likely none.  He seems to have a good handle on that.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #961 on: January 06, 2012, 01:46:59 pm »
it is here

Is this next in line for "the beer so rare that I'll never get my hands on it"?  Is a trip to Va going to net me nothing?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #962 on: January 06, 2012, 01:52:37 pm »
any place in falls church that might carry founders?  looks like i'll be swinging by there on saturday.  i'll be checking out TJ to see if they have any of their unibroue-made anniversary ale left.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #963 on: January 06, 2012, 01:53:24 pm »
question: is it better to store/condition bottles upright, or laying on their side?
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #964 on: January 06, 2012, 02:39:16 pm »
You do realize you're only legally allowed to transport 64 ozs of beer back to Maryland, right?

http://www.mbbwl.org/facts/myth_vs_fact/myth_outofstate

any place in falls church that might carry founders?  looks like i'll be swinging by there on saturday.  i'll be checking out TJ to see if they have any of their unibroue-made anniversary ale left.

James Ford

« Reply #965 on: January 06, 2012, 02:40:50 pm »
upright, in the opinion of beer advocate.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store

question: is it better to store/condition bottles upright, or laying on their side?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #966 on: January 06, 2012, 03:11:42 pm »
You do realize you're only legally allowed to transport 64 ozs of beer back to Maryland, right?

woohoo!  i guess that makes me a modern-day al capone.  boy am i in trouble... to think of my quarterly visits to TJ's when i stock up with 20+ bottles of wine.

seriously tho, i've never heard of anyone being arrested for this.  seems to me that this is an old law that is on the books but no one enforces unless an opportunity is presented (i.e. you get in a crash, and police see bottles in your vehicle - that it, if the cops are even aware of this law).
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #967 on: January 06, 2012, 03:28:36 pm »
It's 128 oz in VA (per person), five cases of 12 oz beers in CA, two six packs in WA. Seems to vary quite a bit by state.

Ignorance is bliss. i've been over the limit on both domestic and international flights.

What should I do on my upcoming international trip (Germany, Belgium., Holland)? I've read that you're supposed the declare what you have to Customs, and that you're taxed for anything over a paltry liter. And that Customs is supposed to enforce whatever the state limit is ($2500 penalty in VA if you're over you limit) Does this ever actually get enforced???

I was planning on going over that limit. Wonder if I should make an "honest" underestimation that hits the maximum legal limit? It's not like they'd go into my luggage and start counting bottles, especially after i was "honest" in the first place, right?

woohoo!  i guess that makes me a modern-day al capone.  boy am i in trouble... to think of my quarterly visits to TJ's when i stock up with 20+ bottles of wine.

seriously tho, i've never heard of anyone being arrested for this.  seems to me that this is an old law that is on the books but no one enforces unless an opportunity is presented (i.e. you get in a crash, and police see bottles in your vehicle - that it, if the cops are even aware of this law).

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #968 on: January 06, 2012, 03:48:53 pm »
i recently returned from south of the border and someone in our party may or may not have brought back more than the 1-bottle-limit of delicious, delicious anejo tequila in their luggage.  they possibly declared only one bottle, and customs potentially didn't check and may even have waived them through.

maybe.  not sayin' it definitely happened.  ymmv.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #969 on: January 06, 2012, 04:09:00 pm »
I brought back  eight bottles of wine from Italy and had no problemos.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:09:23 pm by Yada »

brennser

« Reply #970 on: January 06, 2012, 05:08:28 pm »
u should be able to track some down in DC

it is here

Is this next in line for "the beer so rare that I'll never get my hands on it"?  Is a trip to Va going to net me nothing?

imbecile

« Reply #971 on: January 06, 2012, 05:17:05 pm »
So, apparently Hopslam has started shipping, but Bells didn't provide any information on what states/areas are getting it any day now and which ones are on the agenda for later this month into February.

Has anyone started making the calls yet?

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #972 on: January 06, 2012, 05:54:09 pm »
The DC tip is a good idea.  I guess my question should have been whether this is mass-produced enough to be easily obtained in DC or VA and then transported back to MD (64 ounces or less, of course  ::) )

James Ford

« Reply #973 on: January 06, 2012, 07:34:26 pm »
The Fairfax Whole Foods reports having it, and having more than in previous years. Hence, no limit on amount you can purchase like in previous years. Springfield Whole Foods has it. Rick's has it (with a one four pack limit).

My question is: Is it worth $12.99/four pack when you can get Old Rasputin for $7.99? I'm doing a vertical tomorrow with a 2011 FIS vs. 2011 Old Rasputin and will report back.

The DC tip is a good idea.  I guess my question should have been whether this is mass-produced enough to be easily obtained in DC or VA and then transported back to MD (64 ounces or less, of course  ::) )

Yada

« Reply #974 on: January 06, 2012, 07:47:49 pm »
James,

Do you put a thermometer in your beer?