Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181288 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #975 on: January 06, 2012, 08:45:29 pm »
Not if it's beer in my daughter's ass.

J/K

No, can't day i do. Though i do like my barleywines warmish and my pale ales coldish.

James,

Do you put a thermometer in your beer?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #976 on: January 06, 2012, 09:49:30 pm »
My question is: Is it worth $12.99/four pack

total wine quoted me $10 for a 4-pack of FIS.  dude was pretty chill about availability and said there wasn't a reason to rush in tonight, so i'll be picking some up tomorrow or sunday.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:58:40 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

brennser

« Reply #977 on: January 07, 2012, 11:18:11 am »
its my sense that there is more in the DC market than last year.Last year it disappeared almost instantly - this year stores seem to have plenty. I am picking some up at Magruders today

The DC tip is a good idea.  I guess my question should have been whether this is mass-produced enough to be easily obtained in DC or VA and then transported back to MD (64 ounces or less, of course  ::) )

James Ford

« Reply #978 on: January 07, 2012, 04:33:51 pm »
Taste test results:

Old Rasputin good, FIS better. Both pair well with brie and baguette.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #979 on: January 07, 2012, 04:58:54 pm »
just got back from my first 2012 beer purchases.  i love beer buying days.  i smile as i pay the kind man behind the counter.  too much to name now, but i did pick up one rasputin to taste, and they had the founders imperial stout.  drinking my first beer of the night right now.  yum.  never heard of it before, so i said what the hell:

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #980 on: January 07, 2012, 09:17:16 pm »
That's good stuff.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #981 on: January 07, 2012, 09:18:00 pm »
Taste test results:

Old Rasputin good, FIS better.

Enough to justify the additional cost?

James Ford

« Reply #982 on: January 08, 2012, 12:01:13 am »
Turned out to only be a $2 difference at my Whole Foods. $10.99 vs. $8.99. So i'd say yes. It's not like you're going to be buying several cases of the stuff anyway. Well, maybe walkonby would...

Plus, Old Rasputin is a year round. Get your FIS now, or wait another 12 months.

Taste test results:

Old Rasputin good, FIS better.

Enough to justify the additional cost?

redsock

« Reply #983 on: January 08, 2012, 01:51:07 pm »
Finally had Dogfish's Pearl Jam 20 ale, it was pretty good, i may have to run out and get another bottle or two. I also picked up the Life and Limb collab between dogfish and sierra nevada. Anyone tried?

Different topic, anyone use an iphone app to track beer?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #984 on: January 08, 2012, 07:02:51 pm »
FIS was $9.99 at total wine.  i bought 3 packs, will be tasting one shortly and banishing the other 11 to the cellar (my basement actually has something that could pass for a cellar: enclosed stairs that once led up to the backyard before an extension was built on top of them.  dark, stable temp, multi-leveled and has a door - decent spot to store bottles).  also got some flying fish grand cru winter reserve, will also taste tonight to determine if it should be enjoyed now or later.  at TJ's, i picked up 8 bottles of Vintage 2011*.  they had tastings in the store, so my stash is going straight to the basement.  i look forward to tasting one every 6 months and observing how it develops over the years.  finally, bought some TJ dunkleweizen as my game-time stand-by.  all in all a great day in beer acquisition ;D

yesterday was my first time ever at a total wine.  fricken hell.  good thing i was there for a specific purchase (FIS) which limited how much i could spend on other bottles, 'cause boy could i do some damage there.

*at $5/bottle, james pointed out that it works out to be the same price per volume as most unibroue 4-packs.  the reasons i decided to stick with the vintage'11: 1) i read that larger bottles develop more than smaller ones, 2) the tasting made me think that this one will age particularly nicely, and 3) it's a limited release - i can get other unibroue offerings anytime.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #985 on: January 09, 2012, 04:48:13 pm »
my recent trip to the beer store in the country garnerned me this

kronenbourg   1664 (said why not . . . it is from france.  ok.)

north coast brewing  american art series  brother thelonious  (yum)

allagash  triple ale  (i like this brewery, for everything has been good)

mikkeller  simcoe single hop ipa  (interesting and darn gosh differently nice)

spaten  optimator  (ok)  glad i only got got one bottle to taste

dogfish head  raison d'etre  (awesome)  dogfish head is awesome . . . i just noticed.

lagunitas  little sumpin  sumpin ale  (i like the purty lady on the bottle and the beer is great)

bell's  amber  (horrible, stay away)

north coast brewing  old rasputin imperial stout  (bought one bottle to taste . . . and am in love.  i am floating over into darker beers)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:51:19 pm by walkonby »

James Ford

« Reply #986 on: January 09, 2012, 05:03:55 pm »
I've actually had all of those, and pretty much agree with your assessments.

Kronenbourg and Stella Artois are the Budweisers of Western Europe.

my recent trip to the beer store in the country garnerned me this

kronenbourg   1664 (said why not . . . it is from france.  ok.)

north coast brewing  american art series  brother thelonious  (yum)

allagash  triple ale  (i like this brewery, for everything has been good)

mikkeller  simcoe single hop ipa  (interesting and darn gosh differently nice)

spaten  optimator  (ok)  glad i only got got one bottle to taste

dogfish head  raison d'etre  (awesome)  dogfish head is awesome . . . i just noticed.

lagunitas  little sumpin  sumpin ale  (i like the purty lady on the bottle and the beer is great)

bell's  amber  (horrible, stay away)

north coast brewing  old rasputin imperial stout  (bought one bottle to taste . . . and am in love.  i am floating over into darker beers)

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #987 on: January 09, 2012, 05:13:52 pm »
Stella - like Fat Tire - is better out of the tap, IMO. I can't stand Stella in a bottle, whereas Fat Tire is tolerable.

Bagley

« Reply #988 on: January 09, 2012, 05:50:42 pm »
Really enjoyed this offering at Pizzeria Paradiso in G'town on Saturday.  Get it while you can......

Stillwater Artisanal Ales & DC Brau's NATAS Collaboration Beer - NATAS is a Belgian Style Imperial Porter brewed with a traditional high gravity Abbey yeast. At first glance this brew is pitch black in the glass, with wafting aroma's of burnt sugar and caramelized fruit. The mouthfeel is silky smooth with hints of cocoa. It has a gentle, warming phenolic character that begs for a follow up inquiry. The hops are used to balance this brew and lend a subtle complexity. The dark lord himself would be proud to serve this hellish offering to his legions of demonic minions.

VITAL STATISTICS
Style: Belgian-Style Imperial Porter
Color: Midnight Black
ABV: 7.5%
Serving type: Draft-Only........Availability: Limited Release - December 2011........
description pulled from the "dc brau" site

James Ford

« Reply #989 on: January 11, 2012, 08:10:29 pm »
In an effort to famliarize myself with German beers, I've tried these three this week:

AECHT SCHLENKERLA URBOCK ...a rauchbier, smoky in flavor, paired great with bbq tofu.

Schneider Aventinus...a weizenbock...draws favorable comparisons to Victory Moonglow (the only other weizenbock i've had, and which I like)...this one was just too sweet going in and too sour after it had gone down.

Ayinger Celebrator..this one (a doppelbock) rocked. Paired awesomely with the fire and smoke pizza at Matchbox. #1 German beer on beeradvocate.com, and I can see why. Heavy and malty, but not too sweet.