Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181911 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1275 on: April 10, 2012, 02:52:27 pm »
Has anyone had the opportunity to try the "Insidious"- a bourbon barrel aged russian imperial stout from Fegley's Brewworks in Allentown, PA?  I was up there last weekend and picked up a case for $60. It's a bit thinner than the KBS and not as chewy.  But the flavor comes pretty darn close, at a fraction of the cost....  9 % ABV.  As it warms, you can taste the bourbon, vanilla, chocolate and hints of toffee.  A real nice overall roasty quality.

beer is like fashion, now . . . the name means everything to some.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1276 on: April 10, 2012, 04:27:24 pm »
beer is like fashion, now . . . the name means everything to some.

very insightful.  thanks.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #1277 on: April 16, 2012, 11:38:43 am »
Finally cracked a KBS... that stuff tastes much better as it approaches near room temps. IMO.

renton007

« Reply #1278 on: April 17, 2012, 08:28:52 am »
I had a rather agressively bitter Brown Ale last night by The Duck-Rabbit (NC brewery). I like Legends and Cap City's brown ales pretty well. This one seemed to be going for the extreme flavor so if you're in to that you may want to give it a try.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1279 on: April 17, 2012, 12:30:11 pm »
top 50 craft breweries & breweries by volume, in 2011:
http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/media/press-releases/show?title=brewers-association-releases-top-50-breweries-in-2011

while touring the harpoon brewery last weekend, the guide told a story of how the Boston Beer Company has, on several occasions, pressured the brewing association to up the limit on what constitutes a "craft brewery".  essentially, the definition has been changing as a function of (and keeping pace with) BBC's production capacity.  he said there was some frustration among brewers and a movement to kick BBC out of the nest... unfortunately they have weight, so easier said than done.  BBC is the country's fifth largest brewer, just behind Yuengling.

which of course begs the sophomoric question, "what is a craft brewery, anyways?"...
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1280 on: April 17, 2012, 01:20:13 pm »
How about we kick Harpoon and Boston Brewing off the list because of their mediocrity?  ;)

Sierra Nevada and New Belgium are opening second breweries, both in Asheville (hey sweetcell: job opportunity!). Have to kick them off the list too.

renton007

« Reply #1281 on: April 17, 2012, 02:26:43 pm »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1282 on: April 17, 2012, 02:32:04 pm »
If you're looking for some beer/food truck activity Saturday afternoon:

http://dcbeer.com/2012/03/15/livingsocial-announces-craft-beer-and-food-truck-festival-pre-sale-tickets-on-now/

Once you cut out the stuff that's not worth drinking, you'd be better off staying home.

Great Lakes
Jack?s Cider
Redstone
Evolution
Saranac
Sam Adam
New Belgium
Sierra Nevada
Magic Hat
Harpoon
Flying Dog
Leinenkugel/Blue Moon
Pilsner Urquell/Peroni
Woodchuck
Yeungling
Crown Imports (Negra Modelo, Modelo Especial)
Pabst Blue Ribbon

renton007

« Reply #1283 on: April 17, 2012, 02:43:48 pm »
I agree that the ones you crossed out are underwhelming except for Saranc but there are some solid gems like Ommegang, Dogfish Head and Lagunitas. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1284 on: April 18, 2012, 01:43:14 pm »
wondered on down to the local draft emporium last night and had me some:
- Old Rasputin (tap): delicious.  should come with a knife and fork. 
- Victory Helios: they've re-branded their "V-Saison".  y'all gotta try this - might be my new favorite summer beer.  amazing subtle fruit flavors, some spice, nice hoppiness, sweet start and a crisp finish - downright complex.  gawd i hope it becomes a regular offering there 'cause i could see myself having one of these every time i drop in.  also made for a great break between the Rasputin and:
- Breckenridge '72 Imperial Chocolate Cream Stout (tap): another winner.  not too chocolate-y.
- Chimay blue (bottle): just because.  great way to finish the evening.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1285 on: April 18, 2012, 01:47:53 pm »
Hope those were small portions, or you probably aren't feeling so well right now. :)

There's another shipment of Williamsburg Alewerks Bitter Valentine just in at select beer locations. Act fast, these will be gone very quickly. I haven't had any yet, but its received raves on beeradvocate and ratebeer.

James Ford

« Reply #1286 on: April 18, 2012, 01:50:27 pm »
Fair Lakes Whole Foods is adding six more draft lines Friday, bringing their total to 16.

At $3.99 per draft ($7.99 for the really pricey stuff ), who needs to go to a real bar?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1287 on: April 18, 2012, 02:08:26 pm »

How about we kick Harpoon and Boston Brewing off the list because of their mediocrity?  ;)

lol.  my visit to harpoon convinced me that they do make interesting beers: they are mostly in their "Leviathan" series.  harpoon's regular offering are indeed rather dull, with the possible exception of their new rye IPA.  harpoon is proud of the unique yeast strain but it's been criticized for being boring.  so makes sense that their best stuff is either a rye IPA (most of the flavor doesn't come from yeast), strong beers (same thing: malts and hops provide the strong flavors), and their belgians like the quad (they use a different yeast for these).  essentially, harpoon is good when is isn't trying to be harpoon ;D

i make no excuse for Boston Brewing.  however, i haven't tried their Barrel Room Collection nor the Hallertau Imperial Pilsner which looks interesting and gets good reviews.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1288 on: April 18, 2012, 02:14:47 pm »
Hope those were small portions, or you probably aren't feeling so well right now. :)

the two stouts were 8 oz pours, the helios was maybe 10 (came it its own glass, had a funny egg-like shape to it) and the chimay was an 11.2 oz bottle.  so not outta control and i was there for over 2 hours... but it's a good thing i was within walking distance of the hotel.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1289 on: April 18, 2012, 02:21:44 pm »
in other news:

Frederick Beer Week 2012
May 11-19
http://frederickbeer.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Frederick-Beer-Week/189388711096750?sk=wall
(not a lot of info yet, more announcements to come.  very much geared towards craft & home brews)

website updated.

the kick-off event to Fredneck beer week is the Brewers Assoc of MD "Maryland Craft Beer Festival" - http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/news-and-events/calendar/show?title=brewers-assoc-of-md-maryland-craft-beer-festival (or http://www.mdcraftbeerfestival.com/)
<sig>