Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182081 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1410 on: June 11, 2012, 11:59:24 pm »
sooooo... any reports from SAVOR?

"flocculates"

sounds kind of scary....

;D

flocculating is what you call a yeast's tendency to drop out of suspension and collect at the bottom of your fermentor.  if you want a clear beer, you should use a highly flocculating yeast.  you can clear a beer with a medium or low flocculating yeast, it's just a bigger PITA to pull off.  if you'r brewing a hazy beer like a hefeweizen, they you don't care about flocculation.

that, and it'll chew you face off in the middle of the night while you sleep.
<sig>

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #1411 on: June 12, 2012, 09:26:50 am »
How was the water temperature at Rehoboth?

Normally early June might find cold water temps, but maybe the record breaking warmth we've had spells warmer water temps earlier this year?

it was pretty cold, but a nice respite from mid-90s heat on the beach
(o|o)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1412 on: June 12, 2012, 01:53:19 pm »
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1413 on: June 12, 2012, 07:20:11 pm »
Here's some pics of my brewvenirs, brought back from Germany/Belgium/Holland. All beers pictured were two Euros or less (Duvel less than one Euro) and bought in grocery stores, except for the De Dolle, the De Struise, the Westys and the De Molen....which I picked up in bottle shops.

If you're in Munich, you definitely should go to the Hirschgarten, and make a day trip to Kloster Andechs for the beer.

If you're in Belgium, go to the 't Brugs Beertje in Bruges and the Waterhuis aan de Bierkant in Gent.

If you're in Amsterdam, beer is a bit pricier, but In De Wildeman and `t Arendsnest are the bars to go to.

Regret not driving out and taking the De Dolle tour.  Would have been nice to pick up some posters and a tshirt, as they have very cool artwork, and don't sell their merch online.

Unsanity

« Reply #1414 on: June 13, 2012, 03:53:59 am »
I tried that Orval trappist ale over the weekend. Whole Foods had it for like $5.50 a single. I did like it a lot.

K8teebug

« Reply #1415 on: June 13, 2012, 08:35:42 am »
I am heading up to Cooperstown in a few weeks to visit Ommegang.

K8teebug

« Reply #1416 on: June 13, 2012, 08:36:18 am »
And I am so jealous of your recent beer tour!

stevewizzle

« Reply #1417 on: June 13, 2012, 08:58:37 am »
sooooo... any reports from SAVOR?

food was scarce towards the end, but enjoyed all of the offerings quite a bit.

favorite beers of the night include:
bells - wild one (best sour, best beer of the night for me)
ballast point - sculpin and indra kunindra (a close second)
upland - gilgamesh
yazoo - rye saison (best saison of the night) and their smoked sour
stone - scotch ale
nebraska - ipa aged in chardonay barrels
allagash - interlude

was impressed with denvers brews.

missed out on stone stbn IPA, heard it was amazing.

boulevard was a huge let down IMO.

terra incognita was dissapointing in draft.  aging it 3-6 months because it needs it.

was amazing to talk with brewers and ask them what they used, the process

for the $120 ticket price, i definitely felt like i got my moneys worth (for comparison... GABF wass $75, I believe).

best beer festival i've been to.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1418 on: June 13, 2012, 01:36:06 pm »
Here's some pics of my brewvenirs, 

how did that import limit thing work for ya? ;D

sweet collection you've brought back there.  i'm surprised you brought back Duvel & Chimay - although you got them for cheaper, i wouldn't have thought that something that can be obtained here was worth the suitcase-space. the Andechser Maximator isn't listed on BA nor RB - nice find!  that stash should have you remembering your vacation for a while. enjoy.

p.s. thank you for bringing back a westie for me!!!
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1419 on: June 13, 2012, 02:07:02 pm »
The Andescher is Andescher DoppleBock Dunkel, which is on RB and BA. Unavailable in the STates. The only dopplebock that can give Ayinger a run for its money. The Maximator is from Augustiner. Somewhat limited in the States.

The Duvel was 0.90 and the Chimay slightly more. Compare that to $5+/single here in the States. Couldn't  resist bringing back a few for values sake.

The rare stuff was much pricier. EG Westy 12=7.75, Pannepot=3.95. Compare that to the more common but equally tasty St Bernardus 12 at 1.85 and i got one, one, and four of those.

I don't necessarily subscribe to the rarer is better theory. I guess i could have gotten a few Cantillon's since they are hard to get around here, but one sip of the gueze my wife had at a bar told me i didn't want to do that.

I declared right around the legal limit, though I was slightly over. Wasn't questioned or even taxed.

I'll probably sit of all of this for awhile and drink older stuff.

Here's some pics of my brewvenirs, 

how did that import limit thing work for ya? ;D

sweet collection you've brought back there.  i'm surprised you brought back Duvel & Chimay - although you got them for cheaper, i wouldn't have thought that something that can be obtained here was worth the suitcase-space. the Andechser Maximator isn't listed on BA nor RB - nice find!  that stash should have you remembering your vacation for a while. enjoy.

p.s. thank you for bringing back a westie for me!!!

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1420 on: June 13, 2012, 03:26:56 pm »
never seen saint bernardus prior eight . . . how was that compared to abt twelve?  very jealous of your trip.  i won't get on airplanes to experience it for myself.  i'm grounded.

James Ford

« Reply #1421 on: June 13, 2012, 04:58:08 pm »

James Ford

« Reply #1422 on: June 13, 2012, 06:14:43 pm »
I haven't had an 8 yet either.

never seen saint bernardus prior eight . . . how was that compared to abt twelve?  very jealous of your trip.  i won't get on airplanes to experience it for myself.  i'm grounded.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1423 on: June 13, 2012, 07:45:06 pm »
I don't necessarily subscribe to the rarer is better theory.

i don't believe that rarer is automatically better, but the opposite isn't true either - KBS is rare and it's pretty damn good.  in this case i was invoking the "get while the gettin' is good" theory.  you can't buy a westie 12 here at all, so grab 'em while you can.  but is one westie worth 8 duvels?  a valid question.

I declared right around the legal limit, though I was slightly over. Wasn't questioned or even taxed.

glad it all worked out for ya!
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1424 on: June 14, 2012, 09:10:39 am »

WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!

was going to consider the long drive up just for this . . . then i realized i will be at phish.  damn!