Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181354 times)

Lazer Guided Melodies

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2040 on: February 15, 2013, 01:21:07 pm »

And jogged by the Great Divide Brewery in Denver several times without stopping a second time I was there.

Next time you are jogging through Denver by Great Divide, you can now jog to the other 7 breweries within a 2 mile radius of Great Divide with Crooked Stave soon to move into the new The Source development.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2041 on: February 15, 2013, 01:36:13 pm »

atomicfront

« Reply #2042 on: February 15, 2013, 02:17:07 pm »
At what point did I criticize it?

I do have a friend (the aforementioned one), who went within the last few years, and said she found it too "touristy". Though she herself was visiting from NYC, so she was only contributing to its touristiness.

Though I haven't been, I can see her point. If you have a place that is a magnet for visitors, clearly it's going to lose some of its local charm, right?

But if you're going to a BELGIAN beer bar in PHILADELPHIA, local charm is probably not a priority.

Exactly. It's an institution. The Philly beer bar any out of towner is most likely to have heard of and head straight to.

But is still THE place to go? ( haven't been, I'm just asking) I remember a couple of years ago I had a visiting friend  who had previously lived in DC mention going to the Brickskeller, and I had to break it to her that a number of places had surpassed her old favorite.

And gee whiz, the owner knows how to pour beer into proper glassware. Wow, that is quite an accomplishment for an American!

Here's a good list of Philly beer bars.

http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/philadelphia/top-beer-bars-in-philadelphia/

And here's a great site listing what's on tap in Philly. Wish we had something this good for DC.

http://phillytapfinder.com/

I've only been to Philly once in the last 15 years, for a daytrip. We really should go more. We went to Eulogy and Memphis Taproom. Eulogy was pretty decent, Memphis Taproom was better.

for belgian pubs in philly... i'm a big fan of Eulogy.

looking forward to checking out some spots during the homebrew conference, if I can survive the day to make it out.

Well in the first link it says this about monk's:

"

Monk?s Café
 The bar that brought Belgian ales to America, Monk?s has won every conceivable award for its Belgian beer and food menu that reads like a novel. The tavern has been named ?One of the Top Five Places in the World to Have a Beer Before You Die? by All About Beer magazine. And owner Tom Peters has been knighted as a Chevalier du Fourquette des Brasseurs, the 500-year-old Belgian brewers guild, and is one of four Ambassadeurs Orval in the U.S., which means Trappist monks have acknowledged his ability to properly serve their beer. "

criticizing a place you have never been seems silly to say the least. 

It is not like there are a bunch of tourists in t-shirts, shorts, and sneakers walking in there.  It is just a place to have good beer and good food.  You are over thinking things.  It is freaking philadelphia.  It isn't like meeting the locals is all that interesting or exciting. 

James Ford

« Reply #2043 on: February 15, 2013, 03:01:42 pm »
Compared to the people you meet/observe in a DC craft beer bar, it is.

Think of it this way. Churchkey in DC crushes Mahaffey's in Baltimore on beer selection. But based on local atmosphere, i'll take Mahaffey's any day.

It is not like there are a bunch of tourists in t-shirts, shorts, and sneakers walking in there.  It is just a place to have good beer and good food.  You are over thinking things.  It is freaking philadelphia.  It isn't like meeting the locals is all that interesting or exciting

atomicfront

« Reply #2044 on: February 15, 2013, 03:56:50 pm »

Think of it this way. Churchkey in DC crushes Mahaffey's in Baltimore on beer selection. But based on local atmosphere, i'll take Mahaffey's any day.

It is not like there are a bunch of tourists in t-shirts, shorts, and sneakers walking in there.  It is just a place to have good beer and good food.  You are over thinking things.  It is freaking philadelphia.  It isn't like meeting the locals is all that interesting or exciting

I never even heard of Mahaffeys.  I really only go to Brewer's Art and Heavy Seas Alehouse for bars that specialize in beer.  Some times pratt street ale house after a game.  Max's is pretty lame place to go.  Food isn't good.  Patrons aren't cool.  I would probably go to Frisco Tap House before Max's. 

imbecile

« Reply #2045 on: February 15, 2013, 04:01:12 pm »

As would I, but that's primarily for the three-fors during happy hour.

K8teebug

« Reply #2046 on: February 15, 2013, 04:17:35 pm »

I never even heard of Mahaffeys.  I really only go to Brewer's Art and Heavy Seas Alehouse for bars that specialize in beer.  Some times pratt street ale house after a game.  Max's is pretty lame place to go.  Food isn't good.  Patrons aren't cool.  I would probably go to Frisco Tap House before Max's. 

there is a pratt street ale house in columbia now too.  I frequent Frisco but that's because it's down the street!

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #2047 on: February 15, 2013, 05:02:09 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2048 on: February 15, 2013, 06:00:19 pm »
Oh man, I am so excited to see this. Been wanting to see PD for years.

Black Cat
Fri Mar 29::
Surly and 3 Floyds present:
PIG DESTROYER, DARKEST HOUR

wait, what?  does this mean the black cat will be serving surley and 3F that night?  as if i needed another reason to make it to that show...
<sig>

fatskippy

« Reply #2049 on: February 16, 2013, 05:37:51 pm »
Oh man, I am so excited to see this. Been wanting to see PD for years.

Black Cat
Fri Mar 29::
Surly and 3 Floyds present:
PIG DESTROYER, DARKEST HOUR

wait, what?  does this mean the black cat will be serving surley and 3F that night?  as if i needed another reason to make it to that show...

They're at least serving a collab beer between the 2:

http://beerpulse.com/2013/02/three-floyds-permanent-funeral-to-be-featured-at-pig-destroyer-show-during-cbc/

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2050 on: February 17, 2013, 06:01:18 am »

Yada

« Reply #2051 on: February 19, 2013, 12:41:56 pm »
Received another shipment of Surly Abrasive this weekend, I will say this beer might be just as tasty as Heady. It's pretty unbelievable how delicious it is.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2052 on: February 19, 2013, 01:46:25 pm »
tap take-overs at the Iron Horse, 2 blocks south of Verizon Center:

Troegs Brewing Co. ? February 21

Harpoon Brewery ? March 7

Old Dominion Brewing Co. ? March 21

Brunehaut ? St. Martin ? April 4

Evolution Craft Brewing Co. ? April 18

Devils Backbone Brewing Co. - May 2

Stone Brewing Co. ? May 16

http://ironhorsedc.com/events/
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #2053 on: February 19, 2013, 01:52:19 pm »
http://21st-amendment.com/beers/marooned-on-hog-island/

Drank this over the weekend.  Wonderful strong, smoky stout.  Highly recommend.

James Ford

« Reply #2054 on: February 19, 2013, 01:53:21 pm »
Yes, Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins/Rocky Mountain National Park tops my wishlist for my next vacation. But it looks doubtful for 2013. :(

And jogged by the Great Divide Brewery in Denver several times without stopping a second time I was there.

Next time you are jogging through Denver by Great Divide, you can now jog to the other 7 breweries within a 2 mile radius of Great Divide with Crooked Stave soon to move into the new The Source development.