Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181939 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2385 on: April 10, 2013, 01:05:38 pm »
or better yet . . . give up beer and smoke pot.

should we start "the pot thread", where we discuss indica vs. sativa, where to get the best diesel, etc?
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #2386 on: April 10, 2013, 01:11:17 pm »
But it YOUR FUCKING WEDDING. Pick what you like, who cares what others would like.

If I had to pick four that would appeal to a wide range of people, I'd pick:

a crisp lager (Victory Prima Pils)
a mildly to moderately hoppy pale ale (Dales Pale Ale or Sierra Nevada PA)
some kind of Belgian Golden or saison (Ommegang Henepin)
and some kind of porter or stout (Founders Porter)

and voila, I've very easily stayed away from medicre macro swill and instead gone with four stellar craft beers with mass appeal potential (and stayed away from anything excessively hoppy/sour/roasty/etc)

Blue Moon decent? hahaha. You're funny. That's a joke, right?

Who forced you to serve three shitty beers (and a decent Dogfish lawnmower beer) at your wedding? It seems like it's your wedding, you should be able to have what you want.

Killians Irish Stout a Stout beer by Coors Brewing Company (MillerCoors), a brewery in Golden, Colorado.

Thank you for sharing.

Today I tasted a Firestone IPA.

All I can say is that it was the most repulsive beer that I have ever tasted in my life!  :-X

That was just for you James since I knew that you would appreciate it so much. ;)

I stuck with the $3 pints of Killens Stout. Not all that great but the price sure was.

Blue Moon is made by Coors too.  I would say that is a decent Beer.  For my wedding I was able to pick one craft beer and I picked Dogfish Head 60 minute.  Then for my 3 mainstreams I picked Blue Moon, New Castle, and Amstel Light.  Seemed like a good variety.

It is decent beer.  So is New Castle.  Here is a clue you pick beers other people might actually like.  So say even if I could have picked the top 4 beers from Beer Advocate if no one would drink it what would be the point.  Some people only drink light beer.    

When you have a caterer you have different plans.  I got the top of the line liquor plan from the best caterer in Baltimore area.   I guess I could have a DJ and play all shitty music that gets good reviews and watch everyone have a miserable time.

First off Dale's Pale Ale tastes like shit.  I like all the beers I selected.  And I drank the Dogfish head.  Second, you didn't play by the rules.  you picked 4 craft beers. 

And it was my wedding so I served rockfish, chicken kebob, and duck.  No beef , pork or lamb because I don't eat that.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2387 on: April 10, 2013, 01:18:07 pm »
or better yet . . . give up beer and smoke pot.

should we start "the pot thread", where we discuss indica vs. sativa, where to get the best diesel, etc?

thank you for the great idea.  and boy, im glad this "bar fight" is allowed to go on in here.  so exciting, so thrilling, so awesome.  could somebody bite somebodys ear to make this good.

James Ford

« Reply #2388 on: April 10, 2013, 02:33:53 pm »
Please remind me what the rules are in picking beers for my own wedding?

If it's MY wedding, I'm picking four craft beers with broad ranging appeal.

But it YOUR FUCKING WEDDING. Pick what you like, who cares what others would like.

If I had to pick four that would appeal to a wide range of people, I'd pick:

a crisp lager (Victory Prima Pils)
a mildly to moderately hoppy pale ale (Dales Pale Ale or Sierra Nevada PA)
some kind of Belgian Golden or saison (Ommegang Henepin)
and some kind of porter or stout (Founders Porter)

and voila, I've very easily stayed away from medicre macro swill and instead gone with four stellar craft beers with mass appeal potential (and stayed away from anything excessively hoppy/sour/roasty/etc)

Blue Moon decent? hahaha. You're funny. That's a joke, right?

Who forced you to serve three shitty beers (and a decent Dogfish lawnmower beer) at your wedding? It seems like it's your wedding, you should be able to have what you want.

Killians Irish Stout a Stout beer by Coors Brewing Company (MillerCoors), a brewery in Golden, Colorado.

Thank you for sharing.

Today I tasted a Firestone IPA.

All I can say is that it was the most repulsive beer that I have ever tasted in my life!  :-X

That was just for you James since I knew that you would appreciate it so much. ;)

I stuck with the $3 pints of Killens Stout. Not all that great but the price sure was.

Blue Moon is made by Coors too.  I would say that is a decent Beer.  For my wedding I was able to pick one craft beer and I picked Dogfish Head 60 minute.  Then for my 3 mainstreams I picked Blue Moon, New Castle, and Amstel Light.  Seemed like a good variety.

It is decent beer.  So is New Castle.  Here is a clue you pick beers other people might actually like.  So say even if I could have picked the top 4 beers from Beer Advocate if no one would drink it what would be the point.  Some people only drink light beer.    

When you have a caterer you have different plans.  I got the top of the line liquor plan from the best caterer in Baltimore area.   I guess I could have a DJ and play all shitty music that gets good reviews and watch everyone have a miserable time.

First off Dale's Pale Ale tastes like shit.  I like all the beers I selected.  And I drank the Dogfish head.  Second, you didn't play by the rules.  you picked 4 craft beers. 

And it was my wedding so I served rockfish, chicken kebob, and duck.  No beef , pork or lamb because I don't eat that.

atomicfront

« Reply #2389 on: April 10, 2013, 02:40:49 pm »

The rules aren't for your wedding. they are for my wedding.  I told you why i picked the caterer.  They are the best.  I told you why I didn't supply my own beer and liquor and wine.  So you are argueing with me about the beer I picked for my wedding but you can't even come up with a list on your own.  And the first beer you picked is an awful beer. I don't know the rest.  Actually Oskar Blues makes some good brews.  mamma little pils isn't bad.  But Dales Pale Ale is the worst.  Blue moon is much better.  Oskar Blues does come in cans which is why I used to buy it when I played kickball glass bottles were prohibited.

James Ford

« Reply #2390 on: April 10, 2013, 03:43:52 pm »
Sorry, I actually composed my post independent of your questioning.

10 years ago, before I got into beer, I got married. The beer we served was probably similiar to what you served. We paid more attention to the (vegetarian) food, music selection, and writing our own vows. The beer and wine (no liquor) was an afterthought.

How could you compare Blue Moon to Dales? They are completely different styles. That's like comparing Taylor Swift tp Arcade Fire.

If you're going to compare Blue Moon to anything, compare it to Allagash White, Hoegaarden, St Bernardus Wit, Port City Wit, or your aforementioned Dogfish Namaste. And watch it FAIL in comparison.

Dale's isn't the best hoppy beer, but it's something more middle of the road. If I were picking something hoppy for myself yet still widely available, I'd go with Sculpin, Torpedo, or Jaguar's hated Union Jack.

And by "I" I actually mean "we".

I suspect that you just don't like hoppy beers, period. Can you name a few hoppy beers that you DO like?

The rules aren't for your wedding. they are for my wedding.  I told you why i picked the caterer.  They are the best.  I told you why I didn't supply my own beer and liquor and wine.  So you are argueing with me about the beer I picked for my wedding but you can't even come up with a list on your own.  And the first beer you picked is an awful beer. I don't know the rest.  Actually Oskar Blues makes some good brews.  mamma little pils isn't bad.  But Dales Pale Ale is the worst.  Blue moon is much better.  Oskar Blues does come in cans which is why I used to buy it when I played kickball glass bottles were prohibited.

atomicfront

« Reply #2391 on: April 10, 2013, 03:54:10 pm »

10 years ago, before I got into beer, I got married. The beer we served was probably similiar to what you served. We paid more attention to the (vegetarian) food, music selection, and writing our own vows. The beer and wine (no liquor) was an afterthought.

How could you compare Blue Moon to Dales? They are completely different styles. That's like comparing Taylor Swift tp Arcade Fire.

If you're going to compare Blue Moon to anything, compare it to Allagash White, Hoegaarden, St Bernardus Wit, Port City Wit, or your aforementioned Dogfish Namaste. And watch it FAIL in comparison.

Dale's isn't the best hoppy beer, but it's something more middle of the road. If I were picking something hoppy for myself yet still widely available, I'd go with Sculpin, Torpedo, or Jaguar's hated Union Jack.

I suspect that you just don't like hoppy beers, period. Can you name a few hoppy beers that you DO like?

Of course Alagesh White and Hoegarden are better than Blue Moon. That doesn't mean Blue Moon isn't a decent Beer.  My wife had Alagesh White on our first date.  And Hoegarden is her favorite beer.  And she loves Namaste.  She even drinks that mess Troegs Dreamweaver when we come to 930 club.  And she still enjoys Blue Moon if that is only wheat beer available.

As for hoppy beers I like Dogfish Head 60 minute and Flying Dog Raging Bitch.   Also Heavy Seas Loose Cannon. 

K8teebug

« Reply #2392 on: April 10, 2013, 03:58:26 pm »
The bar was open for our wedding before the ceremony.  It was the best wedding ever.  10 years later people STILL talk about it all the time.

We bought our own booze and had a quality stocked liquor bar...Yuengling, High Life, and Heineken.  No craft beers, but they served their purpose.

Oh, and people still drink out of their pint glass favors too.

(and yes, still very happily married)

James Ford

« Reply #2393 on: April 10, 2013, 04:04:55 pm »
Well it looks like your wife's taste in witbiers and your taste in hoppy beers are in agreement with Beer Advocate scores, as all of the witbiers you mention (save Blue Moon and Dreamweaver) are in top 50 witbiers, and Dogfish 60, Raging Bitch, and Loose Cannon score 92, 89, and 91 respectively.

Have you tried any of the basic west coast ipa's? Green Flash West Coast IPA, Sierra Torpedo, Firestone Walker Union Jack, Stone IPA, Ballast Point Sculpin?

Of course Alagesh White and Hoegarden are better than Blue Moon. That doesn't mean Blue Moon isn't a decent Beer.  My wife had Alagesh White on our first date.  And Hoegarden is her favorite beer.  And she loves Namaste.  She even drinks that mess Troegs Dreamweaver when we come to 930 club.  And she still enjoys Blue Moon if that is only wheat beer available.

As for hoppy beers I like Dogfish Head 60 minute and Flying Dog Raging Bitch.   Also Heavy Seas Loose Cannon. 

brennser

« Reply #2394 on: April 10, 2013, 04:21:11 pm »
my wedding was better than all your weddings - BOOYAH!!!!!  :P

James Ford

« Reply #2395 on: April 10, 2013, 04:27:59 pm »
My wedding cost less than all yours. (yet was still quite lovely)

Boo-yah!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:30:13 pm by James Ford »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2396 on: April 10, 2013, 04:40:26 pm »
The bar was open for our wedding before the ceremony.  It was the best wedding ever.  10 years later people STILL talk about it all the time.

our wedding was only 4 years ago, but otherwise sounds similar :)

at the time i was more into wine than beer, so we paid more attention to the wine and champagne.  we had a keg of harpoon summer wheat which was quite tasty... although it's not a stellar craft beer its taste is pure nostalgia for me.  it was a destination wedding so we tapped the keg on friday and kicked it on monday evening.

we got married on my in-laws' farm, so the second the ceremony was done we started uncorking bottles and pouring drafts.  since it was private property we could serve whatever we wanted, for however long as we wanted... we danced & drank until 3 AM. 

my wedding was better than all your weddings - BOOYAH!!!!!  :P

did your wedding include a llama?  mine did ;D

My wedding cost less than all yours. (yet was still quite lovely)

Boo-yah!

challenge accepted.  we didn't pay any rental fees, bought food from the farm at cost, family did most of the prep, hired farm residents to cook & serve (cheap!), two friends DJ'ed on a decent borrowed PA, we didn't have an official... unless you had few to no guests, it'll be a challenge to beat our final bill on a per-guest basis (we had a little over 100 guests).  obviously eloping is going to be cheaper.

do we need to start a my-wedding-beats-your-wedding thread too?!?

back to the beer already... ;D
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #2397 on: April 10, 2013, 04:58:11 pm »
My wedding literally cost nothing. Not one penny.

Because we never actually got married but that's beside the point.
oword

atomicfront

« Reply #2398 on: April 10, 2013, 05:08:40 pm »
My first marriage we eloped.  Second marriage mom-in-law paid for all of it and my wife wanted top of the line stuff.  I think she spent  like 5000 dollars on her wedding dress.   All I cared about was the dj, the food and the beer.   DJ was good but he basically played what we had on our list.  THe only thing I think he chose on his own was "Rock Lobster" and that dumb Journey song that they play at every wedding these days. 

My music was Cocteau Twins "Lorelie" and we came out to Flaming Lips "Do You Realize".   First Dance was Magnetic Fields "Nothing Matters when were dancing"  I think that was my only input to things besides to food and beer. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:10:26 pm by atomicfront »

Yada

« Reply #2399 on: April 10, 2013, 07:58:44 pm »
Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale, Guinness, Stella, and Amstel Light were served at my wedding. Best wedding ever!!