Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181788 times)

BrettnotBritt

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2505 on: April 30, 2013, 12:01:43 pm »
Cracked open the Enjoy By 5.17.13. Fantastic beer, hoppy yet not overwhelming. Even my wife, who is not the biggest hops fan, loved it.

Planning on hitting DC Brau up this Saturday for OTWOA.

shemptiness

« Reply #2506 on: April 30, 2013, 02:52:20 pm »
In honor of today's presale I picked up one of these:

Anybody try it yet?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2507 on: April 30, 2013, 03:13:23 pm »
Love it.

James Ford

« Reply #2508 on: April 30, 2013, 03:22:18 pm »
I'll preface my answer by saying I haven't had a beer by Lagunitas that I didn't like, but my answer is that it's one of their beers I've like least.

In honor of today's presale I picked up one of these:

Anybody try it yet?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2509 on: April 30, 2013, 05:47:47 pm »
I'll preface my answer by saying I haven't had a beer by Lagunitas that I didn't like, but my answer is that it's one of their beers I've like least.

have you tried their Maximus DIPA, http://lagunitas.com/beers/maximus/?  unimpressive, IMO.  not horrible, but not worth the $4.99 i paid for the bomber.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2510 on: April 30, 2013, 07:25:45 pm »
did somebody say fresh double trouble . . . just got some.  oh hell yeah.

James Ford

« Reply #2511 on: April 30, 2013, 10:01:11 pm »
Not worth $5 for a bomber of DIPA? that's so cheap!
That said, another least favorite Lagunitas beer.

Favorite Lagunitas beers:

Sucks
Brown Shugga
Hairy Eyeball
Little Sumpin Sumpin
Little Sumpin Wild

A second Lagunitas brewery is opening this summer. This one in Chicago. Will add that to places to visit when we see the in-laws in IN. Along with Three Floyds, Half Acre, and Revolution.

have you tried their Maximus DIPA, http://lagunitas.com/beers/maximus/?  unimpressive, IMO.  not horrible, but not worth the $4.99 i paid for the bomber.

James Ford

« Reply #2512 on: April 30, 2013, 10:09:45 pm »
Went tonight. Pleasant surprise running into stevewizzle. though he was the one doing the running.

tried a taste of this:

Mad Fox Oaked Wee Heavy-add this to the list of Mad Fox misses for me

starte with this:

Evolution Special 608

Very respectable belgian pale ale brewed in good old Maryland

then had this:

Ola dubh-ditto to what you said. Might go to Old Town location tomorrow with the family and have another.

split one of these with my friend:

BFM Abbaye de St bon chien 2011-I'm not a sour guy, but was looking for something distinctly different than the Ola Dubh-agree that it was a good one to end on

Some absolutely amazing beers on offer at the Paradiso. I tried:

- Ola dubh: mind blowing. Thick malt, heavy caramel, strong oak, borderline burning alcohol.
- Captain Lawrence's Golden Delicious: a dry-hopped tripel aged in brandy barrels. not distributed in this area, so Pizza Paradiso trucks it down themselves from upstate New York. Really nice Belgian and apple flavors with a touch of tartness. This was my "hydrating" beer... At 10%.
- Elysian the Dread: A  respectable oak aged imperial stout. Very creamy. Least fav of the 4 i had but I'd still have it again.
- BFM Abbaye de St bon chien 2011: defies description. An 11% sour biere de garde, and a very sour one at that. With wood flavor. Wow. Just wow.  I'm not the biggest sour fan but this was damn impressive. End your evening with this one. You won't be tasting anything afterwards. In a good way ;D

i've heard good things about Harviestoun Ola Dubh

Stevewizzle, you need to try this one.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2513 on: May 01, 2013, 10:36:08 am »

i know, and it still wasn't worth it.  i looked at the bottle and told myself "shoulda spent $3 more on something better".  agree with your other lagunitas selections, all good beers.  just the maximus was a miss for me.

were the beers you tried half-price?  i might hit up dupont tonight or tomorrow, depending on work.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2514 on: May 01, 2013, 10:56:15 am »
in the same category from lagunitas is also Hop Stoopid, which I seem to remember as better than Maximus.

Yees, all draft were half price!

i know, and it still wasn't worth it.  i looked at the bottle and told myself "shoulda spent $3 more on something better".  agree with your other lagunitas selections, all good beers.  just the maximus was a miss for me.

were the beers you tried half-price?  i might hit up dupont tonight or tomorrow, depending on work.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2515 on: May 01, 2013, 11:54:56 am »
Pleasant surprise running into stevewizzle. though he was the one doing the running.

funny, i also ran into stevewizzle!  t'was at the DC Homebrewers' Club monthly meeting, so after your meetup at the PP, and we talked about the Ola Dubh he had just tried (although neither one of us were able to get the name right...).  another successful meeting.  Mike the Mad Fementationist gave a talk on brewing sours.  he passed around 4 brett'ed beers but i didn't get to try them as i was too far back, bottles were empty before they got to my area.  i got to taste his soured dubbel aged on plums afterwards - wow.  tried another more traditional, straight-up soured pale ale and a bunch of other things including a citra-hopped ESB which was interesting.  even walked out with 6 pounds of crystal wheat malt thanks to a club sponsor (Briess Malting). 

i left a tad early to make the HTDA show at the FSS (comments on the show in the "this week's roll call" thread).  they had harpoon IPA on tap, which at best is mediocre but the keg mine came from was clearly oxidized and tasted stale.  washed that down with a ruthless rye in a bottle and finished off with a flying dog belgian white (seasonal).  they had other FD options as well, it varied from bar to bar.  so not an amazing beer selection but there were a few options to choose from.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2516 on: May 01, 2013, 09:10:23 pm »

stevewizzle

« Reply #2517 on: May 02, 2013, 08:21:05 am »
Pleasant surprise running into stevewizzle. though he was the one doing the running.

funny, i also ran into stevewizzle! 

my alcoholism is really showing these days.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2518 on: May 02, 2013, 10:40:42 am »
US Craft Brew invades Germany

?I have worked in pubs all my life, but never has anybody asked for an American beer,? said Uwe Helmenstein, 52, a barkeeper in the middle-class neighborhood of Friedenau.

?I don?t think it would work here,? he said, because perceptions run strong that American beers are flavorless and thin.

But with small-scale breweries springing up around Germany?s cities, many of them creating beers that emulate American craft-beer styles, the seeds of a broader shift may have been planted, some advocates say.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/in-germany-a-us-beer-invasion/2013/04/30/0d03f6e6-adf3-11e2-8bf6-e70cb6ae066e_story.html?

stevewizzle

« Reply #2519 on: May 02, 2013, 11:00:04 am »
‏@GBDchixndonuts 5m

We're tapping @mainebeerco Lunch IPA TONIGHT! Don't miss out on one of the best IPAs in the USA...will go fast!