Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182084 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2610 on: May 11, 2013, 09:19:45 am »
Barmy Wines & Liquors (1912 L Street NW at 19th) has some Russian River offerings as of this evening: Temptation, Supplication, Pliny, and another sour that escapes me at the moment.  pretty damn expensive, tho - the top-shelf stuff (including Pliny) was going for $29.99 a bottle.  manager dude told me that since RR doesn't distribute in DC he had to get it indirectly and the additional steps in the distribution chain = additional cost. i didn't buy any, but FYI.

Whoa...there is mark up and there is highway robbery. That is ludicrous.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2611 on: May 11, 2013, 10:36:34 am »
Barmy Wines & Liquors (1912 L Street NW at 19th) has some Russian River offerings as of this evening: Temptation, Supplication, Pliny, and another sour that escapes me at the moment.  pretty damn expensive, tho - the top-shelf stuff (including Pliny) was going for $29.99 a bottle.  manager dude told me that since RR doesn't distribute in DC he had to get it indirectly and the additional steps in the distribution chain = additional cost. i didn't buy any, but FYI.

Whoa...there is mark up and there is highway robbery. That is ludicrous.

Well, somebody has to pay the legal fees when the cops arrest him after reading this thread.

James Ford

« Reply #2612 on: May 11, 2013, 11:47:51 am »
Although it's highway robbery, in DC it's not actually illegal (I think.).

Yada

« Reply #2613 on: May 12, 2013, 08:54:05 am »
Although it's highway robbery, in DC it's not actually illegal (I think.).

Correct, not illegal.

James Ford

« Reply #2614 on: May 12, 2013, 07:41:03 pm »
Wowee. We scored a growler of Avery MAharaja for $10 on MA-thers Day. This beer is one of the few brutes that can put my chili in its place. And I luv it And it's getting better as it warms.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2615 on: May 13, 2013, 10:34:35 am »
where the hell did you get maharaja for $10/growler?!?
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2616 on: May 13, 2013, 11:48:07 am »
im coming to dc for the next two days.  im going to drink some beer.  i wonder if it is still cop week?  oh yeah . . . half naked cops and beer.

James Ford

« Reply #2617 on: May 13, 2013, 12:48:07 pm »
My 72 year old mom did the single coolest thing of her life a couple of weeks ago. My brother took her to the Alchemist, where she sampled Heady Topper and brought home a four pack for herself. She drank one and decided drinking a whole can was far too much for her. So she said she'd save the other three until August, when she sees me.

No, MOM, drink those Heady's now. They're best fresh!

She also said she preferred some of hte Magic Hat beers she sampled to Heady.  ::)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2618 on: May 13, 2013, 01:08:12 pm »
it's american craft beer week!
http://www.craftbeer.com/news-and-events/american-craft-beer-week

it's no CBC, but there are various events going like like a free tasting at Cordial Fine Wines on Thursday (walking distance from Noma-Gallaudet), and a Stone is doing a tap take-over at the Iron Horse on Thursday, etc.  calendar: http://www.craftbeer.com/news-and-events/calendar?event_type=530
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #2619 on: May 13, 2013, 01:16:10 pm »
My 72 year old mom did the single coolest thing of her life a couple of weeks ago. My brother took her to the Alchemist, where she sampled Heady Topper and brought home a four pack for herself. She drank one and decided drinking a whole can was far too much for her. So she said she'd save the other three until August, when she sees me.

She also said she preferred some of hte Magic Hat beers she sampled to Heady.  ::)

I drank two Toppers out of my last four pack over the weekend that are nearly 6 months old and there was little to no degradation in taste, still absolutely amazing.

James Ford

« Reply #2620 on: May 13, 2013, 01:39:45 pm »
I had some that were 3+ month old and they seemed to have dropped off a little bit (to me). Still very good though.

I drank two Toppers out of my last four pack over the weekend that are nearly 6 months old and there was little to no degradation in taste, still absolutely amazing.

shemptiness

« Reply #2621 on: May 14, 2013, 11:32:22 am »

atomicfront

« Reply #2622 on: May 14, 2013, 11:35:41 am »
Heavy Seas Alehouse coming to Arlington

The restaurant in Baltimore is pretty awesome.  Great food. 

James Ford

« Reply #2623 on: May 14, 2013, 08:40:57 pm »
Parabola dropped at Total Wine today with a one bottle limit.

With three stores withing 10 miles of my house and two people, I suppose we could have nabbed more than the one bottle we did. But i'm happy with one.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2624 on: May 16, 2013, 10:02:27 am »
it's american craft beer week!
http://www.craftbeer.com/news-and-events/american-craft-beer-week

it's no CBC, but there are various events going like like a free tasting at Cordial Fine Wines on Thursday (walking distance from Noma-Gallaudet), and a Stone is doing a tap take-over at the Iron Horse on Thursday, etc.  calendar: http://www.craftbeer.com/news-and-events/calendar?event_type=530

http://brightestyoungthings.com/articles/american-craft-beer-week-a-handy-guide.htm

not a whole lot, but there are a few things on offer.  good weekend to be in frederick!
<sig>