Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3183499 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5670 on: August 17, 2015, 04:30:57 pm »
well dang....it wasn't on the list
I went on Sunday, possibly it was sold out and them made a new menu for Sunday??

I kept hearing all this talk about KBS, so thought that was the one to go for.
such a n00b

Uhhhh yes... CBS was probably gone within an hour two after the tapped the keg.

Bagley

« Reply #5671 on: August 17, 2015, 05:57:27 pm »
Hit a handful of breweries in Asheville, NC recently.  All good stuff.

Highlight was the Ruffian Black IPA at Wicked Weed.....dry hopped like a DIPA yet roasty like a stout.  9%.  Unfortunately, didn't have time to let it warm a bit.  I'll have to make a return visit for that....

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5672 on: August 18, 2015, 11:15:19 am »
a well done bottle share tasting & ranking of 24 IPAs: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7049991#post7049991
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #5673 on: August 18, 2015, 11:54:25 am »
a well done bottle share tasting & ranking of 24 IPAs: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7049991#post7049991

I've had #24 and it's a lot better than they give it credit for!

Also have to wonder how un-fresh the Jai Alai was for it to score so low....edit, 56 days. I've got some here that's even slightly older, and it still tastes pretty decent.

Also had the Freak of Nature and would definitely put it middle of the pack, not #1.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:09:50 pm by Space Freely »

« Reply #5674 on: August 18, 2015, 12:44:41 pm »
any of you hop head also into biking?

This Saturday I'm organizing a ride
This is a casual ride with a focus on seeing (and drinking) at the breweries on the WO&D.

Mile 25  Old Ox Brewery   44652 Guilford Drive, Unit 114, Ashburn
Mile 12  Caboose Brewing   520 Mill St NE, Vienna
Mile 6.5  Mad Fox   444 W Broad St, Falls Church

I plan on doing 55 mile ride with me starting at mile 0 on the WO&D and ride out to Old ox at mile marker 25
there is a tour at 2 pm at Old Ox...not sure if that going to happen....but maybe

I will happily meet someone there to do a shorter ride Reston mile 18 or  East Falls Church mile 6

long ride - 55
Med ride - 25 (metro Reston, ride 7 to Old ox, 13 to caboose 3.5 to Merrifield ) (or 32 back to start)
Short ride - 15 (Reston Metro...no Ox and go straight to Caboose)

So come on out, bring a friend (or two) weather is supposed to be 85 and partly cloudy
PM me if you want to go and I'll get you more details

Cheers and gears!
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #5675 on: August 18, 2015, 01:09:11 pm »
It's a good thing that my daughter just chose to play Brewopoly instead of Dogopoly, right?

The first property she purchased was Sweetwater 420, lol.

Space Freely

« Reply #5676 on: August 18, 2015, 01:45:33 pm »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:48:06 pm by Space Freely »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5677 on: August 18, 2015, 01:55:43 pm »

This is a casual ride with a focus on seeing (and drinking) at the breweries on the WO&D.

I plan on doing 55 mile ride with me starting at mile 0 on the WO&D and ride out to Old ox at mile marker 25
there is a tour at 2 pm at Old Ox...not sure if that going to happen....but maybe

I will happily meet someone there to do a shorter ride Reston mile 18 or  East Falls Church mile 6

long ride - 55
Med ride - 25 (metro Reston, ride 7 to Old ox, 13 to caboose 3.5 to Merrifield ) (or 32 back to start)

So come on out, bring a friend (or two) weather is supposed to be 85 and partly cloudy

Cheers and gears!

I'm planning on running 22 in Rock Creek on Saturday...If I switched to Reston I'd have to sprint the whole way to keep up!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5678 on: August 18, 2015, 01:58:02 pm »

long ride - 55

Cheers and gears!

are you organizing this, Sidehatch, or are you quoting someone else?

sounds like fun.  we'll be in CA this weekend, otherwise i would have given this very serious consideration.
<sig>

« Reply #5679 on: August 18, 2015, 02:44:48 pm »

This Saturday I'm organizing a rideCheers and gears!

are you organizing this, Sidehatch, or are you quoting someone else?

sounds like fun.  we'll be in CA this weekend, otherwise i would have given this very serious consideration.

It's my ride....I had a few takers originally, but now everyone is dropping out
so might be a solo tour  :-\
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5680 on: August 18, 2015, 02:57:18 pm »
well i hope some others join you.  should be a hoot.  biking and beer go well together!

2 weeks ago i was in vermont, and one of the days that i checked in to the Harpoon brewery was the end of some cross-state biking thing.  place was set up like a festival, it was a lot of fun.  lots of spandex and suds...

to keep this truly on topic: once again Harpoon wasn't amazing, but it's really not bad either.  they had a very decent west-coast IPA on tap (a brewery one-off), as well as a nice saison (part of their 100 Barrel series) and a single-hop mosaic (another one-off).  i sampled many other interesting things like a cider made with belgian yeast.  i wouldn't go out of my way to visit Hapoon and their regular bottled offerings are boring, but as my local when visiting the in-laws i could do much worse.  hit up the place 2 or 3 times during my visit, always left satisified.  certainly not blow away, but satisfied.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:59:15 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #5681 on: August 18, 2015, 03:43:54 pm »
well i hope some others join you.  should be a hoot.  biking and beer go well together!

2 weeks ago i was in vermont, and one of the days that i checked in to the Harpoon brewery was the end of some cross-state biking thing.  place was set up like a festival, it was a lot of fun.  lots of spandex and suds...

to keep this truly on topic: once again Harpoon wasn't amazing, but it's really not bad either.  they had a very decent west-coast IPA on tap (a brewery one-off), as well as a nice saison (part of their 100 Barrel series) and a single-hop mosaic (another one-off).  i sampled many other interesting things like a cider made with belgian yeast.  i wouldn't go out of my way to visit Hapoon and their regular bottled offerings are boring, but as my local when visiting the in-laws i could do much worse.  hit up the place 2 or 3 times during my visit, always left satisified.  certainly not blow away, but satisfied.

The pretzels at Harpoon (in Boston) were amazing. If they have them in VT, hope you partook. (?) So amazing that I went and drank Harpoon beers twice, just to get another pretzel. Should have stuck with the dunkel, which paired well the first visit....the DIPA didn't pair well at all.

vansmack

« Reply #5682 on: August 18, 2015, 04:01:09 pm »
Is this the bike thread now?  If so, this is my new ride....

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 04:04:45 pm by vansmack »
27>34

« Reply #5683 on: August 18, 2015, 04:15:50 pm »
Is this the bike thread now?  If so, this is my new ride....

slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5684 on: August 18, 2015, 04:41:09 pm »
did not have the pretzel but it did seem to be a very popular menu item.  will check it out next time.

the DIPA didn't pair well at all.

their DIPA (Leviathan IPA) is way too sweet and heavy.  it's halfway to an american barleywine.  i enjoy it, i have one most times that i'm there, but it is a poor DIPA.
<sig>