Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181237 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8550 on: November 23, 2017, 06:40:57 pm »
So what beers were on your Thanksgiving menu? For us:

Space Homebrew 3.0 DIPA
Lagunitas Born Yesterday
New Glarus Cran-bic (last one :()
Goose Coffee BCBS 2013 (last one :()

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #8551 on: November 23, 2017, 09:20:22 pm »
How's that 2013?

Master of Oranges. Backwoods Bastard. 3rd TBD.

Space Freely

« Reply #8552 on: November 23, 2017, 10:51:45 pm »
How's that 2013?

Master of Oranges. Backwoods Bastard. 3rd TBD.

My wife said it was "musty". Which is her way of saying it was past it's prime. No complaints from me, it paired well with the homemade chocolate pecan pie. Hoping I can score a bottle of Coffee tomorrow, though 2013 was the last time I accomplished that feat.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #8553 on: November 24, 2017, 12:43:34 pm »
Personally, I think they peak after sitting for one year. Two years takes too much of the edge off. Still delicious, of course.

Did not even consider going out today. The coffee is really good tho.

Space Freely

« Reply #8554 on: November 24, 2017, 03:24:05 pm »
Personally, I think they peak after sitting for one year. Two years takes too much of the edge off. Still delicious, of course.

Did not even consider going out today. The coffee is really good tho.

I went to my local Total Wine. They had all five variants (Regular, Barleywine, Coffee, NorthWoods,, Reserve). I waited in line for 30 mins (was #29 and #30 in line") with my wife and picked up one of each, and my wife grabbed and extra Coffee. Honesty, they had so much of everything i can only imagine we could have arrived at the opening time and picked up everyrthing (thanks to AB InBev for that?)

I'm not one to stand in long lines for beer, but a 30 min break from my bratty kid hanging with my wife is sometimes a nice thing!

I do miss the days when the stuff was $15 a four pack instead of $15 a bottle. At least i had a 10% off coupon.

Unsanity

« Reply #8555 on: November 25, 2017, 04:22:02 am »
I went to my local Total Wine and got a few bottles of the classic, one of the barleywine and one Northwoods. The prices are fairly outrageous and it varies from store to store. Luckily I also had my trusty 10% off coupon!

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #8556 on: November 28, 2017, 11:49:39 am »
So what beers were on your Thanksgiving menu? For us:

Space Homebrew 3.0 DIPA
Lagunitas Born Yesterday
New Glarus Cran-bic (last one :()
Goose Coffee BCBS 2013 (last one :()

I brought up a bunch of Veil IPAs and goses, Hill Farmstead Anna (paired GREAT with Thanksgiving dinner), and a '16 KBS. Brother-in-law also brought a few cans of M43 since he was flying in from Michigan.

This is probably the first year where I didn't even bother going out for BCBS. It also didn't help that the entire state of New Jersey was devoid of variants. I will say that Wrench by Industrial Arts is a quality NEIPA that gets distro in the NY/NJ area.

Space Freely

« Reply #8557 on: November 30, 2017, 11:40:14 am »
Anybody going to Churchkey tomorrow for the CBS/KBS/bunch of other Founders beers tapping?

Yada

« Reply #8558 on: November 30, 2017, 03:07:02 pm »
Anybody going to Churchkey tomorrow for the CBS/KBS/bunch of other Founders beers tapping?

No.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8559 on: November 30, 2017, 03:15:48 pm »

No.
Can confirm.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #8560 on: November 30, 2017, 04:39:57 pm »

No.

I have a kid related holiday potluck party to go to a couple hours later. Seems like i should definitely have some CBS before that. Maybe even BCBS  too if it's still on draft at P Street.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #8561 on: November 30, 2017, 06:01:17 pm »

Also no.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8562 on: November 30, 2017, 07:00:42 pm »
so, is anyone making any efforts to snag some CBS tomorrow?

i just got word that my local BevMo will be getting a case, so imma gunno roll the dice on a mid-morning fly-by.  this beer has been my white whale for years.  MUST HAVE (or, at least, would really really really like to try it...)

SPACE ADVISORY: per Founder's website, the 22 oz bottles have a suggested retail price of $24.99.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #8563 on: November 30, 2017, 07:19:05 pm »
so, is anyone making any efforts to snag some CBS tomorrow?

i just got word that my local BevMo will be getting a case, so imma gunno roll the dice on a mid-morning fly-by.  this beer has been my white whale for years.  MUST HAVE (or, at least, would really really really like to try it...)

SPACE ADVISORY: per Founder's website, the 22 oz bottles have a suggested retail price of $24.99.

Suggested price $25 but they're asking $30 at Craft Beer Cellar and Total Wine Probably the same elsewhere around here as Total Wine is usually the cheapest. Still might try to snag a bottle. One bottle. The again my wife hates that kind of beer and who really needs more than a small pour so i figure a pour at Churchkey *might* be under $30.

I think there's a lot more of it this time around. Last time it was out I had to win a lottery at Whole Foods just to get a chance at buying a single bottle.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8564 on: November 30, 2017, 07:36:35 pm »
since moving to the pacific northwest, i've been mainlining IPAs - no surprise there.  of all the IPAs i've had, Fremont Lush is my currently-available favorite.  this is their top-shelf IPA, vs. their "regular" Interurban IPA (which ain't no slouch either).  Lush is typically $2-3 more per sixer and it's soooo worth it.  it's the first beer that i've drank, that i'm aware of, that uses lupulin powder (AKA "hop hash").  the stuff is new, and expensive, but damn does it bring the hop characteristics! 

an amazing series that Fremont did during hop harvest season was Field to Ferment, probably the best fresh hop/wet hop/harvest ale i've ever had.  they did three rounds of it, apparently reflecting the different harvest dates: Centennial, Amarillo, and Citra.  the Citra was mind-blowing, i think i went through 7 or 8 packs while it was available back in sept/oct - for a month and a half it was all that i drank.  can't wait for it to come back next year.

i've been getting some less-than-a-week-old Fresh Squeezed, from Deschutes.  i would like to remind every one that this beer is damn, damn fine.  like Lush, it features Citra and Mosaic hops - a killer combo. 

speaking of Deschutes, i'd suggest avoiding their Hopzeit Autumn IPA.  the concept ("make a german IPA") is way more interesting than the reality.
<sig>