Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182120 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9090 on: December 04, 2018, 11:21:26 am »
How much of your life is spent in Whole Foods, dude?
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #9091 on: December 04, 2018, 11:48:36 am »
Stone,

Can't recall if you live in MoCo or DC, but essentially any reputable beer store in DC has bottles collecting dust. I was just in Rodmans a few days ago and they had at least 5 cases sitting there for $29.99 a bottle. 

Pass.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9092 on: December 04, 2018, 07:23:31 pm »
Good Lord. $29.99 is pretty bad.

Admittedly, I haven't been looking hard for it. Surprised it hasn't completely disappeared, though.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9093 on: December 04, 2018, 09:17:09 pm »
in case you need another data point: the Total Wine that i occasionally drop in to (because it's next to my Whole Foods) has at least 2 cases turding up their shelves.  $26.99 each, no limit, have been there for weeks now.

last year i raced to this location on a saturday to be there at opening, to ensure i got a bottle.  i expected to see lines at the door, instead i just got surprised looks when i waltzed in.  got my bottle no problem.  i was the only one there buying it.  a month later, they still had a bunch on the shelf.

CBS has totally jumped the shark.  for years this beer was the white whale i chased.  and now it's a friggen WAY overpriced sunfish that no one wants.  how many more fish metaphors can i fit in this floundering paragraph? 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:22:30 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #9094 on: December 26, 2018, 05:12:01 pm »

« Reply #9095 on: December 26, 2018, 05:18:08 pm »
dang...wasn't quick enough
soo barren here I look forward to reading dots now
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9096 on: December 26, 2018, 05:22:15 pm »
About to go to 3 Floyds for dinner with my Trump voting in-laws and wondering how much Zombie Dust I should bring home. I know it's not the prize it once was, but $12+no tax for a sixer is pretty sweet compared to Aslin and Veil can prices. Hoping to also come across Bodhi on the drive home tomorrow, $10 per four pack is a pretty sweet price point for that one.

Yada

« Reply #9097 on: December 27, 2018, 10:58:33 am »
About to go to 3 Floyds for dinner with my Trump voting in-laws and wondering how much Zombie Dust I should bring home. I know it's not the prize it once was, but $12+no tax for a sixer is pretty sweet compared to Aslin and Veil can prices. Hoping to also come across Bodhi on the drive home tomorrow, $10 per four pack is a pretty sweet price point for that one.

An even sweeter price point is High Life, Rolling Rock, and Peroni.

In other news.

Amid Controversy, Trillium Sells Majority Stake to Constellation Brands:  http://t.co/2OVmEUhE7w

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

« Reply #9098 on: December 27, 2018, 03:04:25 pm »
About, to list a home owned by a Wicked Weed distributor.   And, I never knew the family that used to own Anheuser Busch, owns a killer farm and a shit load of lots in my area.

« Reply #9099 on: December 27, 2018, 03:15:05 pm »
he he ... Weed Distributor.....they used to call them dealers in my day
slack

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

« Reply #9100 on: December 27, 2018, 03:19:46 pm »
Upgrade'd

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9101 on: December 28, 2018, 03:19:49 pm »

here's a beer story for ya:

last week my local homebrewers' club had their christmas party, including a secret santa/white elephant exchange.  folks were to bring a desirable bottle from their cellar.  observations from a bunch of beer nerds coveting bottles and repeatedly stealing them from each other:
- most stolen (AKA most desired) bottle: barrel aged rasputin.  it's a good beer but given how widely available it is, i found the fuss over this bottle surprising.  in second place was a bottle of flanders red from a recently-closed local brewery.
- most undervalued bottle: calvados-barrel aged gulden draak.  stolen only once.
- most over-valued bottle: anderson valley BBA'ed stout.  it's an insipid beer that is widely available... both the person who brought it and the person who ended up with it fell in my estimation.
- most interesting bottle: a brett'ed barrel-aged cider.  it was the only homebrew on offer as gifter didn't realize we were supposed to bring commercial bottles.  he brought a second one to share, after tasting it i would have considered stealing it.
- best score, IMO: the bruery cuivre, which i ended up with. i was very late in the picking/pecking order and clutched that bottle tightly as the last few folks picked/stole their bottles.

the party was on a heated patio of a condo with nice views.  so much good beer and mead on offer.  when we got kicked off the patio we went to our host's condo, where he put on some Throbbing Gristle (not exactly party music IMO) and got all emotional about a 10-year old homebrewed barleywine he shared with us... ahh, alcohol... good times.
<sig>

« Reply #9102 on: December 28, 2018, 03:29:23 pm »
good stuff...but I'd pair Throbbing Gristle with Moonshine
slack

Yada

« Reply #9103 on: December 28, 2018, 03:41:13 pm »

here's a beer story for ya:

last week my local homebrewers' club had their christmas party, including a secret santa/white elephant exchange.  folks were to bring a desirable bottle from their cellar.  observations from a bunch of beer nerds coveting bottles and repeatedly stealing them from each other:
- most stolen (AKA most desired) bottle: barrel aged rasputin.  it's a good beer but given how widely available it is, i found the fuss over this bottle surprising.  in second place was a bottle of flanders red from a recently-closed local brewery.
- most undervalued bottle: calvados-barrel aged gulden draak.  stolen only once.
- most over-valued bottle: anderson valley BBA'ed stout.  it's an insipid beer that is widely available... both the person who brought it and the person who ended up with it fell in my estimation.
- most interesting bottle: a brett'ed barrel-aged cider.  it was the only homebrew on offer as gifter didn't realize we were supposed to bring commercial bottles.  he brought a second one to share, after tasting it i would have considered stealing it.
- best score, IMO: the bruery cuivre, which i ended up with. i was very late in the picking/pecking order and clutched that bottle tightly as the last few folks picked/stole their bottles.

the party was on a heated patio of a condo with nice views.  so much good beer and mead on offer.  when we got kicked off the patio we went to our host's condo, where he put on some Throbbing Gristle (not exactly party music IMO) and got all emotional about a 10-year old homebrewed barleywine he shared with us... ahh, alcohol... good times.

You need to find some new beer friends sweets.

« Reply #9104 on: December 28, 2018, 04:04:32 pm »
You need to find some new beer friends sweets.
Was going to make the same response...but when I thought about my beer friends...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:30:08 pm by Skronk-Hatch ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı »
slack