Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3204282 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9135 on: January 31, 2019, 11:54:41 am »
Interesting read on the current state of craft beer. I expect to see many more once praised breweries head down this path.

https://westcoastersd.com/2019/01/23/council-is-adjourned/?fbclid=IwAR3WD5gpveCa31nRUcTV2SNPhCTGNuxE9AErpmBcoORQSi_kLc9YkxCCOYg

« Reply #9136 on: January 31, 2019, 12:37:15 pm »
I think there are some major flaws in the craft beer industry and their core consumers
Plus the options went from just a handful of breweries in ones geographic reagion to dozens in just a few years

There are just a limited number of neck-beards around that are willing to pay $22 for a 4 pack of bombers

And almost everyone of them has no loyalty to a brewery, most are just looking for the new 'it' beer

Take KBS or the Goose Island limited edition stuff
Only 2 years ago, if you didn't show up early and wait in line somewhere, you likely weren't getting anything
now the this stuff is collecting dust at retailers (although those are good for aging, so not the worst problem)

I think that a lot of well respected breweries are going to go under in the next few years/months

Hopefully the brewers who made the good beer will just show up at one of those mediocre  breweries (with good financial backing) and turn that place in to the next 'it' brewery

slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9137 on: January 31, 2019, 12:47:09 pm »
Interesting read on the current state of craft beer. I expect to see many more once praised breweries head down this path.

https://westcoastersd.com/2019/01/23/council-is-adjourned/?fbclid=IwAR3WD5gpveCa31nRUcTV2SNPhCTGNuxE9AErpmBcoORQSi_kLc9YkxCCOYg

Was there ever a picture that more definitively showed that red hair is sexy on a woman but never sexy on a man?

Space Freely

« Reply #9138 on: January 31, 2019, 12:49:24 pm »
I think there are some major flaws in the craft beer industry and their core consumers
Plus the options went from just a handful of breweries in ones geographic reagion to dozens in just a few years

There are just a limited number of neck-beards around that are willing to pay $22 for a 4 pack of bombers

And almost everyone of them has no loyalty to a brewery, most are just looking for the new 'it' beer

Only 2 years ago, if you didn't show up early and wait in line somewhere, you likely weren't getting anything
now the this stuff is collecting dust at retailers (although those are good for aging, so not the worst problem)

I think that a lot of well respected breweries are going to go under in the next few years/months

Hopefully the brewers who made the good beer will just show up at one of those mediocre  breweries (with good financial backing) and turn that place in to the next 'it' brewery

Maybe Goose and Founders started making more BCBS adnd KBS to meet the demand and in some cases exceed it. They've both been purchased or partially purchased by big beer, so more resources for more production.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9139 on: January 31, 2019, 12:55:34 pm »
I'm astounded at how quickly beer geeks turn their noses up at the beers they previously praised. All while chasing the latest and greatest.

I do think there are way too many breweries now and not enough beer drinkers to keep them all afloat.

Space Freely

« Reply #9140 on: January 31, 2019, 01:00:21 pm »
I'm astounded at how quickly music geeks turn their noses up at the bands they previously praised. All while chasing the latest and greatest.

I do think there are way too many bands now and not enough music fans to keep them all afloat.

Preach.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9141 on: January 31, 2019, 01:14:35 pm »
I'm astounded at how quickly beer geeks turn their noses up at the beers they previously praised.
"This beer is great!"

(seconds later) "They took a partial investment from Busch? Its swill and I hope their children die of smallpox."
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9142 on: January 31, 2019, 01:24:00 pm »
Agreed.

So what is your "go-to" beer on a Tuesday night? Do you have a tried-and-true favorite that you'll come back to time and time again?

Yada

« Reply #9143 on: January 31, 2019, 01:32:29 pm »
Agreed.

So what is your "go-to" beer on a Tuesday night? Do you have a tried-and-true favorite that you'll come back to time and time again?

Miller High Life and Rolling Rock.

Yada

« Reply #9144 on: January 31, 2019, 01:44:25 pm »
I'll be the first to admit this is where I'm currently at in my beer journey. Basically tired of every single haaaaaaze can that tastes exactly the same... anything with lactose in it I find repulsive... Tired of kool-aid beers. At this point, I'm thirsty for a BA stout (maybe with a bit of pastry added) on a very limited occasion, a good gueze/wild, or a pilsner/lager.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9145 on: January 31, 2019, 01:53:40 pm »
council made excellent beers.  a real loss for the SD beer scene - in a town overrun with breweries, council was at the top.  was.

my takeaways from the article:
- brewery owners put in ridiculous hours.  owning a brewery is a sentence (going back to work the day you delivery a baby?!?)
- the #1 reason why breweries fail: expanding too fast/unsustainably = you're so stretched that you can't deal with any disruptions.  when a brewery bets the farm on more production capacity, they are essentially betting that nothing will change - including their current growth rate.  why bother expanding? why not just stay a small brewery?  because brewing is a volume business.  it takes as much time to brew one barrel of beer as it does to brew 50.  so why not get a fat loan, upgrade the brew house and end the day with more beer to sell, so more profit?  with their 3 barrel brew house, the owners couldn't pay themselves.  it's damn tempting to put on some rose-colored glasses and tell yourself that a $5 or $10 million loan will be no problem to pay back, plus you can finally cover your rent...
- fuck trump and his tariffs.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9146 on: January 31, 2019, 02:02:41 pm »

Maybe Goose and Founders started making more BCBS adnd KBS to meet the demand and in some cases exceed it. They've both been purchased or partially purchased by big beer, so more resources for more production.

i think the biggest issue for KBS and BCBS is that they are charging 2012 prices in 2019.  times have changed and they haven't - in fact, they've backslided.  back in the day they were unique and could command a high price.  the breweries kept ramping up the prices while their value decreased due to the rise of alternatives.  they overshot the supply/demand curve.  looking at all the options i have today, i would still happily buy a 4-pack of KBS for $14... but at $25, they'll be collecting dust.  all the AB marketing in the world won't change that... how about using some of that corporate mega-buying power to lower prices?
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #9147 on: January 31, 2019, 02:23:44 pm »
Not that it impacts my purchases as other than CBS last year, I haven't bought a founders beer in years, but did I miss they were purchased by InBev?

Last drama I saw with them was some employment issue around racists that they employee.

Space Freely

« Reply #9148 on: January 31, 2019, 02:39:03 pm »
Not that it impacts my purchases as other than CBS last year, I haven't bought a founders beer in years, but did I miss they were purchased by InBev?

Last drama I saw with them was some employment issue around racists that they employee.

How can they possibly be racist when they are minority owned? /s

That same month, Founders announced that Mahou-San Miguel had purchased a 30% minority stake in the business. This makes Founders no longer a craft brewery, by the Brewers Association definition, as it requires that craft breweries not be more than 25% owned by a macro-brewery.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9149 on: January 31, 2019, 05:47:34 pm »
<sig>