Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182429 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9330 on: June 10, 2019, 10:49:31 am »
Sorry. I haven't been to Milwaukee. Do they even make beer there?

When I want to figure out a couple of breweries to visit in an unfamiliar city, I google "Beer Advocate+ city name." that gives you a list of all the beer spots in the city.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/34/

The breweries are listed in order based upon how well their beers have been rated. So I'd work my way from the top down, seeing which ones are geographically feasible.

« Reply #9331 on: June 10, 2019, 10:59:02 am »
Sorry. I haven't been to Milwaukee. Do they even make beer there?
They have the only professional sports team (that I know of) that honors the profession of making beer!
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9332 on: June 10, 2019, 12:50:43 pm »
Wisconsin is also home to the only pro sports team with the Flamingo as their mascot. So there's that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_Madison_FC

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9333 on: June 10, 2019, 12:59:36 pm »
LOL soccer doesn’t count. Get that shit out of here.
LVMH

« Reply #9334 on: June 10, 2019, 01:02:11 pm »
at very least... the MLS...but USL League One (USL1) is a professional men's soccer league in the United States and Canada that began its inaugural season in 2019. is really a stretch at calling it Pro Sports
I think they pay the players in potato chips
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:04:52 pm by Is it just me... ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9335 on: June 10, 2019, 01:04:45 pm »
I've got to be in Milwaukee in late September. I think I'll have a Thursday afternoon free and a Sunday afternoon free.  I'd like check out some of the (smaller) breweries there. You gang have a couple of favorites I can put on the list? Must be uber friendly as I won't have a car.

i had a consulting gig outside of milwaukee for a few months back in the day.  didn't hit up any breweries, mostly hit up this one belgian cafe that had a great import list... can't remember it at the moment.

while in WI, do avail yourself of New Glarus beer.  their Spotted Cow and Moon Man are very tasty, or at least were back in the day they were.  Raspberry Tart is intense, i loved it but can be too sweet for some folks.
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9336 on: June 10, 2019, 01:32:54 pm »

Yeah, until the Redskins change their name to the flamingos, there’s only one team on the list!

« Reply #9338 on: June 12, 2019, 02:40:26 pm »
space...time to quit your lame gov't contracting job and take this

Aslin Beer Company is now hiring a cellarman (what is that)

What we’re looking for:
We are looking for a versatile and passionate individual to join our growing, industry leading craft brewery. The best candidate is a person with at least one year of experience in brewery operations, however, a strong desire to learn and willingness to work hard could warrant consideration without prior experience.
For a full description email a cover letter and resume to jobs@aslinbeer.com.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9340 on: June 12, 2019, 03:21:50 pm »
cellarman (what is that)

there are generally 2 flavors of cellarman:

A) "clean cellarman" - the brewers create the wort, but as soon as the liquid leaves the kettle, gets cooled and is transferred to fermentation tanks, it becomes the cellarman's responsibility.  sanitation is a big part of their job.

B) "barrel cellarman" - as the name implies, it involves babysitting barrels - long-aged stuff like BBA'ed beer, sours, etc.  often involves barrel maintenance, AKA cooperage.  regularly tastes the barrels to track their development, get rid of barrels that have gone bad, provide notes for the blenders, etc.

given their product portfolio, i would expect Aslin's cellarman to be more A than B.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #9341 on: June 12, 2019, 03:29:14 pm »
cellarman (what is that)

there are generally 2 flavors of cellarman:

A) "clean cellarman" - the brewers create the wort, but as soon as the liquid leaves the kettle, gets cooled and is transferred to fermentation tanks, it becomes the cellarman's responsibility.  sanitation is a big part of their job.

B) "barrel cellarman" - as the name implies, it involves babysitting barrels - long-aged stuff like BBA'ed beer, sours, etc.  often involves barrel maintenance, AKA cooperage.  regularly tastes the barrels to track their development, get rid of barrels that have gone bad, provide notes for the blenders, etc.

given their product portfolio, i would expect Aslin's cellarman to be more A than B.

Based on all the $30 pint bottles of barrel aged stouts they sell, I'm going to go with both A and B. I bet they have plans for a sour program (beyond the kettles) too.

« Reply #9342 on: June 12, 2019, 03:34:41 pm »
Just think of the employee discount and all the free tastings
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9343 on: June 12, 2019, 03:37:05 pm »
Just think of the employee discount and all the free tastings

Somebody made this comment on their FB page. Sounds like James Ford figured out how to sign up for a FB account.

As much as you charge for a beer; is the salary range $100k+?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9344 on: June 16, 2019, 11:29:19 pm »
i'm back in Canuckistan (GO RAPS!!!), and this thoroughly enjoyable father's day was brought to me by an 18-bottle mix pack of Unibroue.  there are newer and sexier breweries out there, but it's awesome to return to an old love who won't let you down.
<sig>