Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3204131 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10485 on: April 13, 2021, 10:39:02 am »
Been eons since I’ve had one of their stouts.

Did they ever open up the space in Herndon?  Been to the other one and wouldn’t go out of my way to return.

Yes, they did. During COVID. Haven't been. Alexandria is closer for me, plus COVID.

Yada

« Reply #10486 on: April 13, 2021, 11:06:43 am »
I had most of a can of an Aslin stout last night. It was so, so sweet I had to do something I've rarely done...pour beer down the drain. I have three other Aslin cans of assorted pastry stouts in the cellar, but after those I'm done with Aslin stouts.

Going to visit my brother this weekend, maybe I'll gift him a couple.

Drinking more than 2oz of any of their stouts is a master class in gluttony.

« Reply #10487 on: April 14, 2021, 05:29:31 pm »
Picked up a Cushwa - Illusory Correlation - Schwarzbier Ale at my local bottle shop in NOVA
and it's quite tasty,
cans were dated, but impossible to read

they also had cans of ElderPine that were dated too
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10488 on: April 19, 2021, 10:06:07 am »
Fully vaccinated, we hit Other Half DC for the first time yesterday. Nice space. Brought our own snacks, but food options would be welcome. Their IPA's are of course good, but wish they made a wider range of styles. Also, only 10 draft lines compared to 36 different cans to choose from.

« Reply #10489 on: April 19, 2021, 10:49:31 am »
but food options would be welcome.
There are a ton of good food options within walking distance and most of them will deliver for free
they brought us all the menus when we were there
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10490 on: April 19, 2021, 01:38:59 pm »
last week the family and i ventured into outer space, AKA outside our little town.  we went to Leavenworth, WA, a quaint little tourist destination that looks like it was ripped out of the bavarian alps.  every building looks like something out of the sound of music (including starbucks and mcD's, which was hilarious).  the beer scene is predictable for a place that pretends to be german and is a few hours away from where most of this country's hops are grown: it's all lagers and IPAs.

best german-style beer i had was Chuckanut's pilsner.  gimme a warm pretzel and i could drink gallons of the stuff.  had an excellent Oktoberfest by Ayinger, and a very tasty doppelbock by a local brewery Icicle.

on the IPA side, the three breweries we dropped in on were all singing the praises of two new hops: Talus and Strata.  everything that i had that was made with either of those hops was amazing.  keep an eye out for these two if you haven't come across them yet.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #10491 on: April 19, 2021, 01:51:46 pm »
last week the family and i ventured into outer space, AKA outside our little town.  we went to Leavenworth, WA, a quaint little tourist destination that looks like it was ripped out of the bavarian alps.  every building looks like something out of the sound of music (including starbucks and mcD's, which was hilarious).  the beer scene is predictable for a place that pretends to be german and is a few hours away from where most of this country's hops are grown: it's all lagers and IPAs.

best german-style beer i had was Chuckanut's pilsner.  gimme a warm pretzel and i could drink gallons of the stuff.  had an excellent Oktoberfest by Ayinger, and a very tasty doppelbock by a local brewery Icicle.

on the IPA side, the three breweries we dropped in on were all singing the praises of two new hops: Talus and Strata.  everything that i had that was made with either of those hops was amazing.  keep an eye out for these two if you haven't come across them yet.

can confirm

Space Freely

« Reply #10492 on: April 19, 2021, 02:05:12 pm »
My wife had a can of the Double Strata Forever beer at OH yesterday, a single hop Strata beer. For me, it was significantly worse than the DDH Green Diamonds, which was Galaxy and Amarillo.

So I guess I'm not a Strata fan.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10493 on: April 19, 2021, 02:08:23 pm »
My wife had a can of the Double Strata Forever beer at OH yesterday, a single hop Strata beer. For me, it was significantly worse than the DDH Green Diamonds, which was Galaxy and Amarillo.

i didn't come across any single-hop Strata beers, it was always mixed with a little of something else.  so maybe it's a hop that needs a little backup to shine...
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #10494 on: April 19, 2021, 02:15:19 pm »

i didn't come across any single-hop Strata beers, it was always mixed with a little of something else.  so maybe it's a hop that needs a little backup to shine...

YMMV. My wife picked it based on the fact that she got something like this when she googled "strata hop." Our server mentioned the word "piney." I prefer citrusy to piney.

Why does the new hop, Strata (aka, X-331) smell like pot? Virtually every brewer I’ve met who’s rubbed and sniffed it uses wordslike dank, stanky, skunky, musky or resinous to describe it, usually with a bemused grin.

https://worthy.beer/strata-terpilicious-terpiffic-and-terpendous/#

Space Freely

« Reply #10495 on: April 19, 2021, 02:18:40 pm »
I'm at a virtual conference this week that I was supposed to be attending in person in Mexico City (my first international travel for work beyond the US and Canada, now cancelled twice.) I just had a two month old Zombie Dust with my leftover burrito, and it was still pretty damn good.

I guess at least the beer selection is better at home.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10496 on: April 19, 2021, 02:31:51 pm »

YMMV. My wife picked it based on the fact that she got something like this when she googled "strata hop." Our server mentioned the word "piney." I prefer citrusy to piney.

Why does the new hop, Strata (aka, X-331) smell like pot? Virtually every brewer I’ve met who’s rubbed and sniffed it uses wordslike dank, stanky, skunky, musky or resinous to describe it, usually with a bemused grin.

Aren't they in the same botanical family?

Space Freely

« Reply #10497 on: April 19, 2021, 02:33:38 pm »

That's a question for Uncle Glenn, not me.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10498 on: April 19, 2021, 02:55:13 pm »
I just had a two month old Zombie Dust with my leftover burrito, and it was still pretty damn good.

Good to know. Have yet to find this but am admittedly not looking very hard.

« Reply #10499 on: April 19, 2021, 02:57:52 pm »
They are
slack