Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182201 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10635 on: July 14, 2021, 02:08:23 pm »
As an Airbnb guest, I'll make as kitty small talk as possible, not really interested in educating a 75 yo retired farmer.

In fairness, the do have another newer tasting room called Bruery Terreux, but that was closed on Tuesday. No idea what it's like, but it does have that fancy pants name.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 02:10:00 pm by Space Freely »

Yada

« Reply #10636 on: July 14, 2021, 03:11:51 pm »
No one buys that beer

what makes you say that?

among beer-trading uber-nerds, agreed - the bruery has lost its luster.  but beer nerds make up 1% of the craft beer-buying market.  they have an outsized influence given their small numbers... but they are small numbers.  i think us beer nerds (i'm generous with myself here) tend to get lost in the smell of our own farts: we create a bubble but think it's the entire universe.

In all of my years of beer drinking, unless someone was hauling around their 22% chocolate stouts, I can't recall ever seeing anyone just casually drinking a Bruery beer... beer geek or not.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10637 on: July 14, 2021, 03:59:26 pm »
In fairness, the do have another newer tasting room called Bruery Terreux, but that was closed on Tuesday. No idea what it's like, but it does have that fancy pants name.

ugh, too bad.  given a choice between the two, i would have preferred terreux for their sour/wild/farmhouse beers.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #10638 on: July 14, 2021, 04:08:48 pm »

ugh, too bad.  given a choice between the two, i would have preferred terreux for their sour/wild/farmhouse beers.

The Tasting room actually has many more beer choices, including everything Terreux has. We stick to stouts and sours and drank just fine.

According to a Beer Advocate post, Terreux is just the nicer place to do your drinking. I'd copy and paste what the person said, but I'm not that good with my Android phone.

Space Freely

« Reply #10639 on: July 14, 2021, 04:12:38 pm »
Also looks like I missed out on a really good sour place called Homage because I didn't realize they had opened an LA location.

« Reply #10640 on: July 14, 2021, 04:35:42 pm »
No one buys that beer

what makes you say that?

among beer-trading uber-nerds, agreed - the bruery has lost its luster.  but beer nerds make up 1% of the craft beer-buying market.  they have an outsized influence given their small numbers... but they are small numbers.  i think us beer nerds (i'm generous with myself here) tend to get lost in the smell of our own farts: we create a bubble but think it's the entire universe.

In all of my years of beer drinking, unless someone was hauling around their 22% chocolate stouts, I can't recall ever seeing anyone just casually drinking a Bruery beer... beer geek or not.
they've been on the shelves at places like Wholefoods and Total Wine for years, so the 'beer geeks' that shop at whole foods and not some super-secret trade group have been buying them there.  It's a 'special occasion' kind of purchase, but they do move and are always priced a little too high for me to spend $25 for 22 oz.  Definitely not the kind of stuff you bring to a backyard bbq

but the problem with craft beer, in general, is trying something new, so brand loyalty is almost looked down on
I know I almost always look for things I've not had yet and get bummed when I see perfectly good beers available
slack

Yada

« Reply #10641 on: July 14, 2021, 04:40:40 pm »
No one buys that beer

what makes you say that?

they've been on the shelves at places like Wholefoods and Total Wine for years, so the 'beer geeks' that shop at whole foods and not some super-secret trade group have been buying them there.  It's a 'special occasion' kind of purchase, but they do move and are always priced a little too high for me to spend $25 for 22 oz.  Definitely not the kind of stuff you bring to a backyard bbq

but the problem with craft beer, in general, is trying something new, so brand loyalty is almost looked down on
I know I almost always look for things I've not had yet and get bummed when I see perfectly good beers available

I agree in some ways, but even brands like say Lagunitas, Stone (do they still exist), Dogfish Head were main stays for bbqs, etc. No one is/was bringing any cans of Bruery Beers.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10642 on: July 14, 2021, 05:49:28 pm »

Space Freely

« Reply #10643 on: July 16, 2021, 12:57:26 am »
Had dinner here at Modern Times Encinitas last night. In addition to an IPA and a couple of taster pours of some barrel aged pastries, Iust confess we had a frozen seltzer slushee, and it was pretty damn good

Hitting San Diego Saturday before heading to LAX for a midnight flight home. May have to do encore visits to Green Cheek and Monkish for some souvenirs.

Space Freely

« Reply #10644 on: July 16, 2021, 05:43:49 pm »
Lunchtime drinking at Modern Times Encinitas and Culture Encinitas. Hey Hutch, hot people on the beach here. Not everyone gained 30 lbs.

« Reply #10645 on: July 16, 2021, 06:12:56 pm »
I don't think they let fat people into San Deigo...but DE/OC/NJ, they encourage the fat people
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10646 on: July 16, 2021, 06:30:13 pm »
I don't think they let fat people into San Deigo...but DE/OC/NJ, they encourage the fat people

But we're clocking in well north of 500, collectively. I guess they let us in because we can spell San Diego.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10647 on: July 16, 2021, 07:33:40 pm »
...we're clocking in well north of 500

Jeebus

Space Freely

« Reply #10648 on: July 16, 2021, 11:13:34 pm »
...we're clocking in well north of 500

Jeebus

The average male weighs 198 and the average female 171. We're under the collective average for one male and two females combined. Also both females are above average in height and I'm average height, so no need to Jeebus.

Starsky

« Reply #10649 on: July 17, 2021, 10:38:25 am »
That’s one way of looking at it…