Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182093 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #11175 on: October 03, 2022, 02:58:57 pm »
*Astrolab is dog-friendly too

Space Freely

« Reply #11176 on: October 03, 2022, 03:04:55 pm »
*Astrolab is dog-friendly too

I've got one of those dogs who acts like a human toddler at a brewery and causes people to say they hate it when kids are at breweries. Haven't tried to bring him to a brewery in amny years. But maybe he would be more chill now that he's 14.

Yada

« Reply #11177 on: October 03, 2022, 03:06:36 pm »
Edit: why are people that work in a gov office in southwest DC venturing to silver springs.
Do you not have an office job? Post-work events are always based around where the C-suite member who is “overseeing organizing” it lives not where the office is.

Ding ding ding. Winning answer to Yada's question. Thoguh I don't know what a C-Suite is.

We haven't been in the office since the start of the pandemic. Nobody went back.

And thanks to Hatch and Yada for updating me on the Silver Spring beer scene. I have actually never been to any of the Silver Spring breweries, but what Hatch said seems to be what I would have guessed based on previous stuff I read here and elsewhere.

Shame they didn't pick Astrolab. It seems like unless someone is a beer snob, they always inevitably pick the worst place beerwise. Maybe Denizens is the most kid and dog friendly, which based on the invite seemed to be things that mattered?

Once again, can't comment since I haven't been in 8 years, but 8 years ago it was baby friendly as in my child could sit in their stroller and stare at me as I drank their terrible beer.

If you can split off post event, you should have 3 to 9oz at Astrolab. It's about a football field or two length up the street... And then get underground pizza company across the street.

Thanks. Yeah, I'd love to check out Astrolab. I'll see if the family members and dogs who choose to attend with me can be talked into an Astrolab visit as well.

Not really sure I want to see any beers that day, as it's the day after Snallygaster.

It will mark the first time seeing some of my coworkers in person since March 2020. And meeting some who have come on board for the first time since then in person.

They'll get to see me on the one day I'll be hungover this year.

hahaha... ooof! That hurts... Well, at least you can sit outside at Denizens and get fresh air if you're hungover. I wouldn't recommend Astrolab for a large group and definitely wouldn't bring your dog there even if it's dog friendly.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 03:08:33 pm by Yada »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11178 on: October 03, 2022, 03:06:41 pm »
“C-Suite” is a term from the class of executives at the top of a company whose titles generally start with Chief and end with Officer. CEO, CFO, COO, etc.

Admittedly, I doubt these titles are used in government work but the principle remains the same: where does the boss live? The event will be near there or halfway between the office and there, never further away from the boss’ residence/hotel than the office. 
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #11179 on: October 03, 2022, 03:15:25 pm »
“C-Suite” is a term from the class of executives at the top of a company whose titles generally start with Chief and end with Officer. CEO, CFO, COO, etc.

Admittedly, I doubt these titles are used in government work but the principle remains the same: where does the boss live? The event will be near there or halfway between the office and there, never further away from the boss’ residence/hotel than the office.

Ah gotcha. Our equivalent of a CEO lives in a location that I'm pretty sure would be more incovenient for most people. (Silver Spring having at least a Metro stop.) The person doing the organizing is more or less a plebe just like me but I think they do live in SS.

« Reply #11180 on: October 03, 2022, 03:38:09 pm »

So I'm pretty sure Space isn't a Gov't employee, but works for a Firm that does business with the Feds
and I'm sure they have a bunch of C-suite staff, likely a woman minority who is the President, but only has people magazines on her desk
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #11181 on: October 03, 2022, 04:02:45 pm »

So I'm pretty sure Space isn't a Gov't employee, but works for a Firm that does business with the Feds
and I'm sure they have a bunch of C-suite staff, likely a woman minority who is the President, but only has people magazines on her desk

Denizen's is woman/minority owned, so this tracks.

« Reply #11182 on: October 03, 2022, 04:52:55 pm »
Denizen's is woman/minority owned, so this tracks.
that was in reference to all the Beltway "consulting" firms that apply for federal contracts
I've worked with enough of them to know, most of them scamming the feds

The SBA states that “the federal government's goal is to award at least five percent of all federal contracting dollars to women-owned small businesses each year.”
there is another one for Minority owned ones too
there are a few categories...and lots of money on the line

I think the intent of the program is admirable
the execution and vetting is pathetic and most of these firms are in fact owned by some old white male who installs his wife or some other unqualified person to be president but only on the letter head, not in actually running of the company

Props to Denizen's, but there is no program for beer producers to get special access to gov't pork
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11183 on: October 03, 2022, 06:39:49 pm »

unless he's changed jobs and hasn't told us, Space is gov-employed.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11184 on: October 03, 2022, 06:41:29 pm »

unless he's changed jobs and hasn't told us, Space is gov-employed.
Believe me, we’d know. He’s never stop talking about and his new PTO schedule.
LVMH

« Reply #11185 on: October 03, 2022, 10:54:53 pm »
I know little, but say a lot
can't believe all of it
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11186 on: October 04, 2022, 01:49:41 pm »
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #11187 on: October 04, 2022, 02:01:46 pm »
Speaking of Brazil and beer...the last time we were at Chruchkey we shared a highly rated DIPA from the highly rated Spartacus Brewery in Brazil.  https://untappd.com/brewery/top_rated?country=brazil It wasn't very good. A sample of one, but maybe the locals are rating their hometown beers too high.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11188 on: October 04, 2022, 02:17:45 pm »
A sample of one, but maybe the locals are rating their hometown beers too high.

or, the beer wasn't in a good state.  did it spend several weeks in a hot container on the deck of a cargo ship?  how old was the can?

i share your desire to try beers from other parts of the world, but IPA isn't a style i'd choose.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #11189 on: October 04, 2022, 10:13:34 pm »
Ha ha IPA 🍺 in South America!