Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3213294 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #11340 on: May 11, 2023, 07:26:39 pm »
They make premium beer with expensive ingredients.  From their post, it seems like the owners are going separate ways.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11341 on: May 15, 2023, 12:15:32 pm »
World Beer Cup was held last week. notable winners:
- Fat Head did really well for themselves, taking gold in american IPA (Head Hunter) and another gold in strong red ale (Bone Head).  as is always the case nowadays, amIPA was the most-entered category (412).
- DC Brau raked in a gold for their Penn Quarter Porter in the robust porter category.
- the USA was the clear leader, with over 80% of the medals (approx), and Canada was the clear second.  as much as it would be fun to claim this as "proof" of the superiority of north american brewing, this competition is only "lightly international"... vast majority of entries come from those two countries. 
- Argentina won as many medals as Belgium  :P
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #11342 on: May 15, 2023, 12:38:04 pm »
World Beer Cup was held last week. notable winners:
- Fat Head did really well for themselves, taking gold in american IPA (Head Hunter) and another gold in strong red ale (Bone Head).  as is always the case nowadays, amIPA was the most-entered category (412).
- DC Brau raked in a gold for their Penn Quarter Porter in the robust porter category.

- the USA was the clear leader, with over 80% of the medals (approx), and Canada was the clear second.  as much as it would be fun to claim this as "proof" of the superiority of north american brewing, this competition is only "lightly international"... vast majority of entries come from those two countries. 

2008 called. They want their results back.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11343 on: May 15, 2023, 01:56:48 pm »
"quality is timeless"
- somebody somewhere
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #11344 on: May 15, 2023, 03:00:58 pm »
"quality is timeless"
- somebody somewhere

I dunno, DC Brau is the 8 track player of beer at this point.

I doubt the really good breweries even send their beer to beer competitions. What would be the point.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11345 on: May 15, 2023, 03:52:47 pm »
"quality is timeless"
- somebody somewhere
The prestige television thread is over there.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11346 on: May 15, 2023, 04:50:31 pm »
I doubt the really good breweries even send their beer to beer competitions. What would be the point.

well, other than a relatively cheap marketing hit, there is prestige: the WBC is a pretty big deal among professional brewers.  its medals are held in even higher regard than a GABF medal.

a quick napkin calc shows that about 20% of all US breweries participated in this year's WBC.  a good chunk of that other 80% is going to be small breweries and brewpubs that either know they can't win, or frankly don't care (i.e. their focus is on making whatever sells locally AKA staying in business, and/or are not concerned about national/international recognition).  but certainly, there are some excellent breweries that didn't participate.  i noticed that Hill Farmstead and The Alchemist didn't participate, but they never participate in any competitions (clearly happy being hermits in vermont, can't blame them...)

if you go to the participating breweries page and open up the "north america" list - which really good breweries are missing?  many, if not all, of the usual suspects are there IMO.  i guess my point is that representation at the WBC looked pretty good to me.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #11347 on: May 15, 2023, 05:10:10 pm »

which really good breweries are missing?  many, if not all, of the usual suspects are there IMO.  i guess my point is that representation at the WBC looked pretty good to me.

Prepare for a killsally-esque end of year concert list response from The Space.

Space Freely

« Reply #11348 on: May 15, 2023, 05:18:30 pm »

which really good breweries are missing?  many, if not all, of the usual suspects are there IMO.  i guess my point is that representation at the WBC looked pretty good to me.

Prepare for a killsally-esque end of year concert list response from The Space.

You betcha. None of the first 16 that I randomly pulled out of my head were listed as participants. I think I hit on one on my 17th guess.

Monkish
de Garde
Casey
Other Half
the Veil
Maine Beer Company
Fidens
Mortalis
Triple Crossing
Bissell Brothers
Tree House
Trillium
Burial
Equilibrium
Wheatland Spring
Ocelot

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11349 on: May 15, 2023, 07:10:55 pm »
None of the first 16 that I randomly pulled out of my head were listed as participants. I think I hit on one on my 17th guess.

good list, but i absolutely question you going 0/16.
<sig>

« Reply #11350 on: May 15, 2023, 07:33:48 pm »
that's kinda nuts...
slack

Yada

« Reply #11351 on: May 15, 2023, 07:36:38 pm »
None of the first 16 that I randomly pulled out of my head were listed as participants. I think I hit on one on my 17th guess.

I mean, I haven't paid attention to beer in a few years at this point and that list was pretty accurate then... point, space!

Space Freely

« Reply #11352 on: May 15, 2023, 07:38:17 pm »

It wasn't 0/16, it was 0/18. I forgot to include Hudson Valley and Suarez. But then I tried Fremont and someone else wo I can't recall and hit on both, so 2/20.

Let's live stream another 10...

Fox Farm...nope
Bierstadt Lagerhaus....nope
Human Robot...yes
Finback...nope
Angary Chair...nope
Clag...nope
The Answer...nope
Civil Society...nope
Tripping Amimals...yes
Cycle...nope

So that's 4/30. Actually, I forgot that Tree House was two words, and they were there. So that's 5/30.

Apparently DC Brau won more medals than Tree House?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11353 on: May 22, 2023, 12:25:21 am »
we might be entering a new stage of the evolution of craft beer: Big Beer selling its aquisitions back to the original owners, AKA the divestment stage

Anheuser-Busch Sells Appalachian Mountain Brewery Back to Founders
<sig>

« Reply #11354 on: May 22, 2023, 05:42:12 am »
That’s great.  Would be interesting to know what they paid and what they sold it back for
slack