Author Topic: roger waters : amused to needing a gig?  (Read 11402 times)

walkonby

roger waters : amused to needing a gig?
« on: April 25, 2006, 12:51:00 pm »
what is he doing?  sure, coming out with a tour called "dark side of the moon", where he'll do a first set of early floyd and solo work (i actually enjoyed "amused to death") and then a second set of the entire "dark side of the moon" album sounds interesting . . . but will it be worth all the trouble to go to one of the few cities it is playing, go through auctions and whatever else for tickets to just see it?  

just get back together with gilmore, you freak, and put on a real show, alla rolling stones style and charge pathetic ticket prices that get scooped up by brokers and sold on ebay, like everone else.  "how can you have any pudding, if you don't eat your meat?"

eros

Re: roger waters : amused to needing a gig?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 12:56:00 pm »
September 23 at the oft-maligned Nissan Pavilion.
ʎɐʍou

Venerable Bede

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 01:12:00 pm »
apparently, he got nick mason for this tour and gilmour got richard wright for his tour.  in any event, the last "pink floyd" tour in 94 did the same thing.  the 2nd half of the show was dark side in its entirety.
OU812

walkonby

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 01:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by eros:
really?  oh, i thought this was one of those select city gigs.  damn . . . now i'm going to have to go see it.  after all that bitching i just did, this show will probably be a once in time chance to see waters live.

walkonby

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 01:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  apparently, he got nick mason for this tour and gilmour got richard wright for his tour.  in any event, the last "pink floyd" tour in 94 did the same thing.  the 2nd half of the show was dark side in its entirety.
on that tour (division bell), when that ball came out of the floor and created the wall circling the inside of rfk, i creamed my lsd jeans.

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 01:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:

Originally posted by eros:
really?  oh, i thought this was one of those select city gigs.  damn . . . now i'm going to have to go see it.  after all that bitching i just did, this show will probably be a once in time chance to see waters live. [/b]
the band sucks, the venue sucks, the music industry sucks...but i'll go anyway!

distance

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 02:34:00 pm »
the ticket prices are looking to be >2* the price of the last tours 99/00.
 at those prices, i won't be going.  i don't think there's any way the show could be THAT much different/better.

dark side of the moon in its entirety? not really THAT interesting.  meddle? that'd be a lot more interesting.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 02:37:00 pm »
The snow-capped Köpetdag has a lovely tune, they said,

Roars from time to time like a young man burned inside, they said,

Has rains coming with thunder and lightning, they said,

Wandering the Türkmen land, there is a lot worth looting, they said,

There is the wisdom of Gorkut-Ata on her mountains, they said.

Her valleys and mountain ranges are like paradise

The shadows of the clouds roam over her ravines,

The Köpetdag is no ordinary mountain, this is the spring of a fortune,

The Köýten, Hasar and Balkan mountains and the whole Türkmen world,

There is the majesty of Oguz Han on their mountains, they said.

Tigers roar in her canyons and her summits are cloudy,

Her mountains where the eagles nest on their heights remain always young,

The great land, on her outskirts mountain cities are built, is safe,

There are bowers in Ã?andybil and the future is the time of magnificence,

There are the messages of Görogly on her mountains, they said.

One of my sides is Garagum, which is a caravan migrating,

Kills those who come as enemies and gives the Türkmen freedom,

When angered, rises in fury like a tornado and flood,

Like a witness who saw the creation of the world,

The desert with Hydyr, which Magtymguly certifies so, they said.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 02:49:00 pm »
can someone explain how pink floyd is one of the most popular bands in the world ... they play intellectual prog-rock with 20 minute song suites and hours of guitar wanking ... how did they become (and stay) so mainstream-huge like the rock and roll bands who play 3-4 minute pop songs?

and this is coming from someone who has all their albums and likes some of their stuff, i'm just curious as to how floyd is such a popular phenomenon ... i would guess that, for many casual fans of floyd (obviously not all), it's the only prog-rock they listen to, right?
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 02:59:00 pm »
Did anyone else see the Radio KAOS tour...oh...like....almost twenty years ago now?
 That was a great show.  

So were the Pink Floyd shows from those same years.  I saw them at JFK, RFK, and the Meadowlands.  Easily the best stadium shows I have seen.

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 03:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Hoya Saxa 03, 08:
  can someone explain how pink floyd is one of the most popular bands in the world
perhaps there is a scientific equation!  the Pythagorean Theorem of rock bands!

muke

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 04:18:00 pm »
was the KAOS show at the old cap centre?  started out with paul carrack playing tempted solo on piano?

Kubacheck

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 06:24:00 pm »
  can someone explain how pink floyd is one of the most popular bands in the world
maybe cause they have a lot of great songs????...there are a lot of bands that I wonder why they're so popular (Dave Matthews???), but Pink Floyd is not one of them.....

secretsquirrel

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 09:36:00 pm »
  can someone explain how pink floyd is one of the most popular bands in the world ...  
I would say because of Dark Side. Its songs aren't very long for the most part, and it's hypnotizing without simply being something like Echoes. Then people bought The Wall because of Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2.

helicon1

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 10:34:00 pm »
I traveled to Chicago two weeks ago to see Gilmour. Best show I've ever been to. The first half was his new album (On an Island is highly recommended by me) and the second were the classics. But not a typical "Best of" setlist. He played tunes off of Obscured by Clouds, Atom Heart Mother and Meddle.He, of course, played the fan favorites as well.

Roger's solo shows are typically not as classy, musicianship not as good and generally not as enjoyable. I'll still go of course   ;)