Author Topic: So what do y'all think of Helen Thomas' comments?  (Read 5575 times)

James Ford

So what do y'all think of Helen Thomas' comments?
« on: June 07, 2010, 02:39:52 pm »
731 comments and counting on the WashPo site. None here. Let's get it rolling!

Relaxer

Re: So what do y'all think of Helen Thomas' comments?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 04:30:14 pm »

"Fuckin magnets, how do they work?"
oword

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 06:18:54 pm »
731 comments and counting on the WashPo site. None here. Let's get it rolling!

and if it's like the typical fare from WashPo commenters, 730 of them read like they were written by a developmentally challenged 8 year old who just learned some naughty words.   In other words, not worth much.

_\|/_

Mobius

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 06:26:35 pm »
Its a lesson for the kids.  If you're an antisemetic bitch . . .you might turn into a troll

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 06:52:41 pm »
antisemetic bitch

Her words are pretty extreme, and it's weird to me that she said that stuff with a video camera rolling, which I am assuming wasn't hidden.   As a veteran White House correspondent she had to know very well the danger of even a single ill-chosen word.

So why did a person with many years of professional experience in front of cameras go off like that?   The only thing I can surmise is that either she was drunk, or the people filming this said some things to get her really pissed off before the video clip begins, or both.   I think they were probably looking to get her -- why else ask her that question with a camera in her face?  But she reacted beyond their wildest dreams.

She should never have said that stuff and it's certainly appropriate that she lose her job -- she can't possibly be seen as an objective correspondent now.   

I don't know whether Helen Thomas is anti-Semitic or not but, I think it's also worth noting that you can be anti-Israel, and not be anti-Semitic.   That is a fact lost on many people.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:56:26 pm by Doctor Doom »
_\|/_

azaghal1981

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:04:48 pm »
Done.

What Doom said.

The "antisemitic" term is often thrown around a little too flippantly, IMO.

Mel Gibson? Absolutely. Helen Thomas? I don't think it's fair to say so just after watching that video.

And yes, she walked right into a blogger's trap.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:19:56 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

eltee

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:02:42 pm »
antisemetic bitch
The only thing I can surmise is that either she was drunk, or
old..? not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

Mobius

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:03:07 pm »
Suggesting that jews leave the country they fought for and built and returning to the countries where millions of jews were systematically tortured and murdered strikes me as unconditionally antisemetic and f*ck her

i got id

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 09:10:41 pm »
http://www.couplescompany.com/features/poLitics/2003/Antisemetism.htm

Anti-semitic is actually against everyone of that region by the official definition, not just Jews

walkonby

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 09:18:35 pm »
the media is controlled . . . by the media.

azaghal1981

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 09:31:47 pm »
That is kind of a narrow interpretation of what she said. She could have meant the occupied territories, as opposed to Israel proper, for instance. Not saying she did but that video does not prove that she didn't.

Suggesting that jews leave the country they fought for and built and returning to the countries where millions of jews were systematically tortured and murdered strikes me as unconditionally antisemetic and f*ck her
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:38:06 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 09:42:13 pm »
I wonder what the reaction would have been if she said the palestinians should go live in Arab countries.

azaghal1981

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 09:43:32 pm »
^There would have been none. People say that on the 24-hour news networks and talk radio all the time.
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 09:59:39 pm »
^There would have been none. People say that on the 24-hour news networks and talk radio all the time.

So then she shouldn't  have been fired. 

Really we should stop giving aide to Israel.   They are not are friends.  A lot of hatred we get around the world is from supporting of them.  They can't just keep 1.5 million people imprisoned in Gaze because of their race.  Either they want to work on a peace agreement or they have to take care of the people they are occupying. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 10:16:25 pm »
The fact that we give two of the most well off countries in the world $3 billion and $2 billion (Israel and Egypt, respectively) a year while we are drowning in debt is kind of a headscratcher.
احمد