Author Topic: Moshing and local venues  (Read 11599 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: Moshing and local venues
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2010, 10:54:29 am »
One time that I think a mosh pit broke out at an inappropriate time was the Muse show at the Patriot Center in 07.  There were a few drunken idiots that seemed to really get out of hand and were bothering all the people around them that just wanted to watch the show.  I watched Josh handle the situation from the seats and gained alot of respect for how good he is at his job.

details, what did josh do??  give the eye?  ;D

I saw the whole thing from a distance, so I don't know exactly, but he seemed to get right in the face of the few moshing idiots and tell them to cool it.  Maybe Josh can elaborate if he remembers.

Why words when a picture will do:

I guess Josh is right about the women....

(The photograph above does not in any way represent how Josh performs his job. It's just a fantasy, 'k?)
😐 🎶

heather

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 10:55:59 am »
Remember it? I STARTED IT!!!!! 

"my dreams, it's never quite as it seems, Never quite as it seems"  ROOOOOOAAAAARRR!

Does nobody remember the moshing at the Cranberries show on the Mall?

ahhh... bringin back the memories!  that was the one time in high school i skipped (what can i say?  i was a rebel!).  i don't remember moshing so much as flying bottles....

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2010, 07:50:06 am »

who knew it - those people that talk all the way through a show: they're rebels.  they're flying their own flag of non-conformity.  all customs and expectations are slavery.

I do realize you are trying to display a sense of humor, but actually talking through a show is similar to moshing in that it has very little to do with the band, is all about the person doing it, and lacks consideration for the people around.

In general I think moshing is like drugs at jam bands -- a way to cover up for bad music.

_\|/_

bearman🐻

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2010, 10:54:36 am »

In general I think moshing is like drugs at jam bands -- a way to cover up for bad music.

I don't think that was entirely the origin of moshing. I think that initially it was audience participation directly as a result of intense, violent music that people were just reacting to. But by the time the 90's rolled around, it was very poser-ish and people were doing it because they thought they were being cool. I remember seeing Nirvana at Bender Arena in 1993 and the moshing was so out of control and so unneccessary. It was a whole new group of people going to concerts who didn't know how to behave and as a result they thought that's what one does at concerts. What a pain in the ass. But every now and then a little craziness at a show can be entertaining.

Relaxer

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2010, 11:02:48 am »

who knew it - those people that talk all the way through a show: they're rebels.  they're flying their own flag of non-conformity.  all customs and expectations are slavery.

I do realize you are trying to display a sense of humor, but actually talking through a show is similar to moshing in that it has very little to do with the band, is all about the person doing it, and lacks consideration for the people around.

Tell that to Slayer, Grampa
oword

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2010, 02:51:45 pm »

It is so Richmond to go to a show just to meet up with friends and talk all night long at an screaming loud voice to be heard over the music (how dare that band play while we are trying to talk).  It is far worse in Richmond than anywhere I have ever been. 
FUKIT

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2010, 03:39:49 pm »

hahahaha, nice one :)  i still don't agree with everything you said, but it made me chuckle.
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2010, 03:45:07 pm »
yeah . . . like jam bands and the people who listen to it are the ONLY people in music who do drugs.

vansmack

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2010, 03:46:42 pm »
yeah . . . like jam bands and the people who listen to it are the ONLY people in music who do drugs.

Wait, people still listen to jam bands?  Sober?
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2010, 03:49:02 pm »

Wait, people still listen to jam bands?  Sober?

about the same amount of people who listen to those 5 minute indie bands who release 1 album and 5000 downloadable only eps, and somehow all sound like mercury rev.

oh yeah mister vansmack, i've been reading your recent posts . . . and slowly you have become a favourite read.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:51:07 pm by walkonby »

vansmack

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2010, 03:57:45 pm »
oh yeah mister vansmack, i've been reading your recent posts . . . and slowly you have become a favourite read.

It's the drugs.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2010, 04:16:19 pm »
agreed.  drugs can make anything interesting.
<sig>

Epstein

• http://www.hit-dat.com
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2010, 05:03:58 pm »
im really not buying the moshing is covering up for bad music

locally what should we say than about void? no trend? SOA?
Kill the sound: <A HREF="Http://www.hit-dat.com" TARGET=_blank>http://Http://www.hit-dat.com[/url]

walkonby

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2010, 05:35:34 pm »
im really not buying the moshing is covering up for bad music

locally what should we say than about void? no trend? SOA?

i went to www.hit-dat.com . . . and got nothing.  is that a cover up for bad websites?

slappy

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2010, 06:07:35 pm »

Back when the place was WUST at a Dead Kennedy's show I saw people jumping off the upper level and getting up bleeding and then be escorrted out.  Skinheads fighting with people in the pit.  Jello challenging the skinheads to fights.

Came across YouTube video of TSOL opening for DK at said show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO39G-toHVc