Author Topic: Rally to Restore Sanity/Keep Fear Alive  (Read 38737 times)

James Ford

Re: Rally to Restore Sanity/Keep Fear Alive
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2010, 11:43:12 am »
The songs he did were all covers, all from the album with the Roots, except for "Dear God" from the Roots' own album where he was singing the Jim James part. And all in keeping the the political message of the Roots' own recent album.

Was the original version a Bill Withers ego trip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4RyYtkifTM

Roots setlist:

Thought At Work (Ended with a mix of "It's ? moreJust Begun" by The Jimmy Castor Bunch and "Apache" by The Sugarhill Gang)
How I Got Over  
Dear God 2.0 (with John Legend)
Hard Times (Baby Huey & The Babysitters cover) (with John Legend)
Little Ghetto Boy (Donny Hathaway cover) (with John Legend)
I Can't Write Left Handed (Bill Withers cover) (with John Legend)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:45:40 am by James Ford »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2010, 11:58:06 am »
Regardless of the source, I and one would guess others thought the selections were BORING as was Staples/Tweedy song, the Kid Rock song (which appeared to be one verse repeated three times).
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2010, 12:07:37 pm »
To each their own. I'm sure that any song ever recorded would find it's share of detractors.

It would seem to make sense that Legend/Roots would play songs off of their very recent collaboration, and Staples/Tweedy would play a song off of their very recent collaboration, rather than grasping for some kind of universal crowd-pleaser.

Regardless of the source, I and one would guess others thought the selections were BORING as was Staples/Tweedy song, the Kid Rock song (which appeared to be one verse repeated three times).

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2010, 12:21:20 pm »
so i finally got around to watching the bits and pieces of replay that Comedy Central has on their website... and, truth be told, the comedy value was average.  it was just as poignant as the average Daily Show, but less funny IMO.  maybe the parts they cut out were funnier?  his closing bit ("moment of sincerity", transcribed here previously) was pretty awesome.

given the mediocre level of comedy that was offered i'm glad that i spent saturday walking around, reading signs, chatting with people, taking in the energy, etc instead of sitting in one spot watching a giant screen.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2010, 12:32:11 pm »
and, jon stewart should never sing again.  ever.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2010, 12:38:22 pm »
ding ding ding

anybody aware of what jon stewart's brother does for a living? or am i the last to know?

http://blogs.reuters.com/summits/2010/03/29/jon-stewarts-brother-says-mom-pretty-happy-with-both/

and, jon stewart should never sing again.  ever.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2010, 01:19:55 pm »
nope, didn't know about his brother... can't say i care much, either.  i'm sure lots of entertainers have siblings in positions of power, are minor celebrities in their own right, etc.

He's a much better singer than most any of the crap indie band "singers" championed on this board.

so, how long until this board proclaims john stewart to be the future of music?
<sig>

walkonby

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2010, 02:56:40 pm »
I just read through this thread and figured I'd give my recap of the event:

- I bought a shirt with Bush's face on it that read "I Screwed You All But Thanks For Blaming It On The Black Guy". LOLz.

- Don't know if anyone else saw this brotha but he was shouting off about illegal immigrants and they problems he had with them taking up their jobs. I took his flyer and he had this crazy ass sign that explained a bit of his position. As soon as he got to the part where he was saying Europeans don't like black people and started saying things he didn't have any facts to back up, I pretty much left while other people kept arguing with him. On top of that, he kept saying huskers. SMH.....

- Before The Roots rocked out (which I enjoyed, don't care if it was 40 minutes.....the muthafuckin' OJs was there), I enjoyed that Myth Busters thing. It was cool to see the crowd participate in something like that.

- I won't lie the crowd  was definitely getting annoying. On my way to the rally, I damn near almost slap this dude silly for not having the nerve to take his fare card to the metro worker when the machine that you put your card said for him to do it. I asked him if I could go by him and he said chill out. As much as I wanted to knock his teeth then because it was crowded, I knew that it was more hassle than anything. So I went to the next aisle that was open and kept moving and called him a bitch in the process. LOL.

- Saw a bunch of great costumes and signs. I think the ones that the Muslims came up with mocking the fears of people who don't like Muslims were good. Anyone see that one sign of Christine O'Donnell and beliow it reads "Teatard?". Women that are shaped right with more hair on their arms than Chewbecca should not dress up like sexy nurses. I'm just sayin'; no playa hatin'. LOLz.

- L'efant Plaza got shut down right when I was trying to leave to get to work early so I could work on my grad school paper. I had to truck it through that thick ass crowd of people. Not fun.

- That activist newspapr, El Militante, was there and they were selling a book that Malcolm X had about labor laws which looked interesting. Almost bought it because I think that was one of his ideas that were least talked about.

James Ford

« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2010, 07:17:11 am »
So who won last night? Leibowitz (Stewart) or Colbert?

walkonby

« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2010, 09:59:45 am »
the red states won.  the red states won.  we are all saved.  america is saved, people.  no more job loses, no more foreclosures, no more recession, no more economy problems.  we are saved.  thank god for elections, for they bring change and not the same.  where is my flag.  i want to cry on it now.

and one more thing . . . no more chances of a health care system not controlled by big business.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 10:14:06 am by walkonby »

walkonby

« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2010, 10:12:59 am »
yea . . . and legal pot failed in cali.  good.  i hate california, and like the fact that they are broke, overrun by the mexican mafia who fuel their gang with the profits of pot . . . and will stay that way.  fuck 'em and that goon jerry brown.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2010, 11:21:44 am »
has TMUL hacked walkie's account?
<sig>

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2010, 12:24:29 pm »
yea . . . and legal pot failed in cali.  good.  i hate california, and like the fact that they are broke, overrun by the mexican mafia who fuel their gang with the profits of pot . . . and will stay that way.  fuck 'em and that goon jerry brown.

I haven't read too much about it, but didn't a lot of pot supporters want it to fail? I heard that people had problems with how much was allowed and the fact it would run a lot of current growers out of business.

However, it really is pathetic they don't legalize it the right way when the cartels make 75-90% of their profits off pot.

Man, I can't wait till all the Republicans start bitching when the now republican run House of Reps gets nothing done. For some reason everyone thought 18 months would be enough to fix the freaking multitude of issues the Obama administration inherited from our good pal GWB.

Also, I saw on CNN that there are no African Americans in the Senate. That is a really sad and telling statistic on current racial equality in America.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2010, 12:37:35 pm »
Man, I can't wait till all the Republicans start bitching when the now republican run House of Reps gets nothing done.

GOPers like to bitch on principle, but they won't be bitching about not getting anything done. All they want is gridlock.