Author Topic: The 2011 Albums Thread  (Read 43608 times)

Relaxer

Re: The 2011 Albums Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2011, 10:22:26 am »
I guess I should've downloaded this before I got all dong-handed.
 :'(
oword

walkonby

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2011, 10:37:24 am »
you're all dong handed? . . . that must of been a long download.

killsaly

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2011, 05:37:58 pm »
Dog Leather - Greezy Man and Stinky Man Meet Smutty Ranks on Tarantula Hill
(DJ Dog Dick plus Sewn Leather)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKMoZ8kBYvQ
Later this year on Ehse
http://www.ehserecords.com/releases.html

azaghal1981

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2011, 05:50:43 pm »
^That should be really good.

Skull Defekts/Dan Higgs album's greatness has me pretty much speechless.
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2011, 06:09:16 pm »
Im a bit pissed i missed them at this weekends Ehse on Ice... Hopefully more gigs will happen soon.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2011, 01:53:24 pm »
Flaming Lips release audio experiment album for free today

The Oklahoma rock act has been releasing bits and b(l)obs of audio compositions on its YouTube channel, with the intention that each piece is played on a separate handheld smartphone or similar iPhone-like device.

"Imagine the lo-fi symphonic joy that you, along with family, friends, pets, and others, will create at the touch of a button. The more devices, the more harmonic possibilities can be constructed. You and your device, at one with the music, become the orchestra, just as the Gods of Technology naturally intended it to be."

sounds deep, maaaaaaaaaan...
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2011, 02:59:50 pm »
Flaming Lips release audio experiment album for free today

The Oklahoma rock act has been releasing bits and b(l)obs of audio compositions on its YouTube channel, with the intention that each piece is played on a separate handheld smartphone or similar iPhone-like device.

"Imagine the lo-fi symphonic joy that you, along with family, friends, pets, and others, will create at the touch of a button. The more devices, the more harmonic possibilities can be constructed. You and your device, at one with the music, become the orchestra, just as the Gods of Technology naturally intended it to be."

sounds deep, maaaaaaaaaan...

sounds retarded.

zaireeka is cool though...

i saw one of these flaming lips shows at the black cat way back when...it totally sucked.

azaghal1981

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2011, 04:56:55 pm »
Excited for this:"Björk and Syrian singer Omar Souleyman have teamed up for a joint album to be released later this year. This will mark Souleyman's pop debut ? and, presumably,

his first time singing with a former member of the Sugarcubes.

It's "the first-ever major western pop release to feature Syrian dabke and Iraqi choubi music", according to a press release received by
Pitchfork.
Beyond our excitement for the braiding of Souleyman's raucous Arabic techno and Björk's meticulous art-pop, we are equally thrilled by the mention of a

"major ... release": it's one thing for Björk to issue a one-off remix download, and another if she and Souleyman have spent time recording together. All

we know for the moment is that the project promises a limited 12in vinyl record, CD and digital download, before the end of 2011.

Björk is
Iceland
's biggest musical export, but Souleyman is much less well known in the west despite
a serious cult following.
The Icelandic singer discovered the dabke MC on YouTube,
she told NPR
in 2009: "What's refreshing about [Souleyman] is the party," she said. "It's really alive and very urgent. And he's not above using synths, electronics,

drum machines and YouTube. He's really eager to make something that's vibrant."

Souleyman has two UK dates booked for later this year, at London's Field Day in August, and the Isle of Wight's Bestival in early September."

I feel as though a lot of Ween fans would
dig this (and much of SCG's material, for that matter): "By my count, Baroque Primitiva is the sixth album cut by Alvarius B. and is, like its predecessors, a deep swim through mysterious waters. The 11 tracks
here were recorded at various sessions over the course of several years and range from "Humor Police" (a track that imagines what Syd Barrett might have
sounded like had he been a devotee of rembetika) to a trippily Beatles-damaged version of "You Only Live Twice" (the sole surviving shard of the aborted
Alvarius B. Plays The Bond Songbook project). Baroque Primitiva is the first long-format telegram from Alvarius B. since he lost his mothership (the Sun
City Girls, with whom he employed his slave name, Alan Bishop) and it also feels like his most consistently non-acerbic -- perhaps even most beauty-oriented
-- work. The songs often have a meditative pace and are filled with gorgeous lo-fi blends of vocals, guitar, bass and keys. Eyvind Kang guests on several
tracks, but the bulk of the material was broadcast direct from the naked soul of Alvarius B., which turns out to be a warmer, sweeter place than you might
imagine. The record also marks the return of the equally-legendary Poon Village label, whose 1993 Sun City Girls LP, Live At C.O.N. Artists, is a rare
and lovely piece of that bands sonic puzzle. Poon Villages productions are always extraordinary in visual terms, and Baroque Primitiva is no exception.
The covers meditative human mandala is a brilliant ocular ode to shifting visions of feminine pulchritude, and is worthy of the best framing job you can
afford." -Byron Coley "Screenprinted jackets feature a double gate, hand-cut spines, and metallic photo print featuring 16 naked girls. Heavy 180 gram
black vinyl pressed in the Rust Belt. Limited edition - 300 copies available for sale for the whole world." -Poon Village  

Liking the Insane Warrior (RJD2) record. Good to hear that he has stopped trying to be Steve Mason.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:01:52 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2011, 07:30:49 pm »
r.e.m.'s new album, "collapse into now", out on march 8.

COLLAPSE INTO NOW LISTENING PARTIES COMING TO NPR NEXT WEEK!
On March 1st at 2pm EST, NPR.org will host the U.S. online premiere of COLLAPSE INTO NOW. Tune into NPR's exclusive stream and hear the album for the first time! You can also take part in a live chat with other R.E.M. fans. The following day, March 2nd, COLLAPSE INTO NOW will be featured in NPR's "First Listen" series, so you can catch it there as well.

DOWNLOAD OFFER: U.S. fans can download "Uberlin" for free on iTunes on March 1st as part of their "Rediscover and Download" series. Go to iTunes Tuesday to receive the free download.
(interestingly, a different track - "Mine Smell Like Honey" - is being given away to europeans, so that will be 2 tracks out in the wild...)

AND ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO HEAR THE ALBUM EARLY AT ROLLINGSTONE.COM
Following on the heels of their lead review of COLLAPSE INTO NOW in issue 1125, Rollingstone.com will also host an early listening party for R.E.M. fans on March 4th.

and:
Exclusive Preview: The Strokes' 'Angles' Track-By-Track
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blogs/pop-life/exclusive-preview-the-strokes-angles-track-by-track-20110224
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2011, 08:14:43 pm »
i remember loving rem, downright worshipping them, like those strange girls in the early nineties high school days.  then something happened.  god, can i even look back at that one album . . . damn shiny happy people and not puke?  i picked up a later album after not caring for awhile, and loved it.  but then i didn't care anymore again.  should i care?

hutch

« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2011, 10:48:15 pm »
i remember loving rem, downright worshipping them, like those strange girls in the early nineties high school days.  then something happened.  god, can i even look back at that one album . . . damn shiny happy people and not puke?  i picked up a later album after not caring for awhile, and loved it.  but then i didn't care anymore again.  should i care?

no

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2011, 11:38:55 pm »
I'm streaming this little beauty right now....

http://soundcloud.com/freestyle-records/sets/frootful-colours-fsrcd084/

Frootful - Colours

Jazzy Funky so much fun....

p.s. any artist which is still using myspace are just a bunch of losers
T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2011, 05:43:41 pm »
Hey Walky, if I were to paste a link to the new J album in here, would you get all hypocritical on our asses and dl it?

P.S. It is beautiful in a "fuck it all" stoner country way; pretty sure you will fall in love again on first listen.

احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2011, 05:53:35 pm »
Fredericksburg's Ceremony have released a new EP called Not Tonight.

Details here.

walkonby

« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2011, 07:27:05 pm »
Hey Walky, if I were to paste a link to the new J album in here, would you get all hypocritical on our asses and dl it?

P.S. It is beautiful in a "fuck it all" stoner country way; pretty sure you will fall in love again on first listen.

you know, i haven't been in this thread in awhile.  i never saw this, and here i posted a link to the stream in the download thread.  i still have refused to listen to it.  i won't even listen to stream albums.  i'll get the cd one of these days . . . i just bought farm on the ole compact dinky discery doo, less than a month ago.