Author Topic: Maryland set to expand gay rights, same-sex marriage  (Read 10988 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Maryland set to expand gay rights, same-sex marriage
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:31:31 pm »
Maryland set to expand gay rights, same-sex marriage

Maryland is poised to become the sixth state to recognize same-sex marriage as proponents say they believe they have enough support to pass such a measure in the upcoming legislative session.

The expansion of gay rights appears to have gained significant traction as Maryland's General Assembly begins its 90-day session Wednesday. Not only are Democrats optimistic about their chances of approving same-sex marriage, but a leading Republican, sensing momentum on the issue, has instead countered with a proposal to grant civil unions to gay couples.

Democratic Gov. Martin O'Malley has publicly stated that he would sign a marriage bill into law. Maryland then would join Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, New Hampshire, Vermont and Washington, D.C., in sanctioning same-sex marriages.

(continued)

wo0t :)

(as a sarcastic gay friend of mine once pointed out, "great - now we have the right to be as miserable as straight couples!" ;D)
<sig>

walkonby

Re: Maryland set to expand gay rights, same-sex marriage
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 02:20:30 pm »
i would say, here's hoping virginia is next . . . but they still like to throw stones at us and call us fricking queers down here.  that is after asking us to blow them when their wife isn't home, that is.

nkotb

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 02:25:45 pm »
Jesus, I was bored and it was just ONE TIME!!!!  Let it go!!!!

i would say, here's hoping virginia is next . . . but they still like to throw stones at us and call us fricking queers down here.  that is after asking us to blow them when their wife isn't home, that is.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 02:31:27 pm »
news such as this, the legalization of marijuana, tax reforms, etc, gives me hope that someday this state will be progressive enough to allow the sale of beer and wine in grocery stores...  ::)
<sig>

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 02:52:47 pm »
news such as this, the legalization of marijuana, tax reforms, etc, gives me hope that someday this state will be progressive enough to allow the sale of beer and wine in grocery stores...  ::)

Stores in PG county can. Going to the grocery store during college was much better than regular shopping because alcohol was there.

It's nice to see that Maryland may legalize it. It will most likely only help the economy and it's nice to know that the numerous gay friends I have will legally be able to get married.

walkonby

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 09:57:29 pm »

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 10:19:54 pm »
Germantown Shoppers has alcohol.
احمد

shemptiness

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 09:57:33 am »
From the MoCo site:

Why can?t I purchase beer and wine in my grocery store?

Maryland State law prohibits this. Four Montgomery County grocery stores sell beer and wine today because they were licensed before the law changed.

K8teebug

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 11:37:06 am »
They are working on getting wine mail delivery in MD as well.

Yay for MD! 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 12:22:27 pm »
From the MoCo site:

Why can?t I purchase beer and wine in my grocery store?

Maryland State law prohibits this. Four Montgomery County grocery stores sell beer and wine today because they were licensed before the law changed.

reading up on this, i learned:

- MoCo is one of four counties in MD that have control over their liquor laws.  don't blame the state.
- MoCo Dept of Liquor Control also has a monopoly on the wholesale distribution of liquor (hence why beer and wine is cheaper at the county-run liquor stores).  all retailers, including independent beer-and-wine only stores, to buy from the county.  so if the county doesn't carry a brand (like, say, bell's), they you can't buy it in MoCo.
- the justification for the prohibition of sales by chain grocery stores, and the ban on sunday sales (currently suspended, i believe) is that it protects the small mom-and-pop businesses.  if giant and whole foods started selling beer and wine, a lot of independent retailers would go bankrupt.
<sig>

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 03:15:41 pm »
I am going to post this at the extreme risk of being judged by my response.  The thing I don't like about this whole issue is that if one's beliefs are that gay marriage ought now be allowed, they are automatically assumed by many people to be anti-gay, gay haters, or whatever degree of that ideology is being thrust upon them.  (This is true of a lot of other issues as well BTW.)  I personally am opposed to gay marriage.  It, however, has nothing to do with being anti anything other than I am against gay marriage.  In whatever choices and decisions I make in life, the sexual orientation, preference, life style choice of others is of no concern.  Maybe I am in a small minority here, but it does suck that merely because of my believe on a particular issue I am easily labeled and judged by others.
FUKIT

walkonby

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 04:05:03 pm »
I am going to post this at the extreme risk of being judged by my response.  The thing I don't like about this whole issue is that if one's beliefs are that gay marriage ought now be allowed, they are automatically assumed by many people to be anti-gay, gay haters, or whatever degree of that ideology is being thrust upon them.  (This is true of a lot of other issues as well BTW.)  I personally am opposed to gay marriage.  It, however, has nothing to do with being anti anything other than I am against gay marriage.  In whatever choices and decisions I make in life, the sexual orientation, preference, life style choice of others is of no concern.  Maybe I am in a small minority here, but it does suck that merely because of my believe on a particular issue I am easily labeled and judged by others.

azaghal1981

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 06:58:50 pm »
Exactly how does gay people being able to marry each other affect you personally? We don't exactly live in a theocracy. Your religious beliefs (which you have every right to) should have no bearing on the laws of the land. Certain religious groups disagree with the eating of certain meats; you never see Muslims or Jews or Hindus trying to outlawing the consumption or pork or beef.

احمد

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 10:36:33 pm »
I've never really understood how you can have nothing against gay people, but still be against gay marriage. Seems like one of those statements is just a way to make yourself feel slightly better about the other.

azaghal1981

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 10:43:16 pm »
It is like people who say "I'm not racist; I have three black friends!"
احمد