Author Topic: SXSW Lineup  (Read 14065 times)

ratioci nation

Re: SXSW Lineup
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2004, 01:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by grotty:
  I'd love some recommendations if anyone has a few minutes to review...
I am guessing you know a lot of them, and maybe these as well but...

Lucero at Buffalo Billiards on Wednesday
 Black Lipstick The Caucus Patio Wednesday

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2004, 01:58:00 pm »
I picked up the Constantines album for 50 cents in hopes that it might grow on me. It didn't. Oh well, at least I'll make a profit if I can unload it at another cd store.

A nice big update:

Band Update 1/22/04

Notable:

Calexico
 Calla
 Clearlake
  Constantines!    :D  
 Cooper Temple Clause
 Franz Ferdinand
 Adam Green
 Trailer Bride

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2004, 02:04:00 pm »
Go see Bobby Bare Jr. and the Legendary Shack Shakers.

And of course Slobberbone.

Big Cheese       :D      

There are quite a few bands on there that haven't made any other list yet (e.g., DBT, Von Bondies)

I can see that there are going to be some seriously tough choices this year.

You'll know you're in Texas for this one:

La Zona Rosa (All Ages)
 â?¢ Slobberbone Denton TX Pop/Rock
 â?¢ Tim Easton Columbus OH Singer/Songwriter
 â?¢ Drive-By Truckers Athens GA Pop/Rock
 â?¢ The Flatlanders Lubbock TX Country

I guess Modest Mouse is  Hint, Hint @ La Zona Rosa on Wednesday.

saco

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2004, 02:15:00 pm »
Grotty: Where did you get this info?  What night is this?  Have you been to La Zona Rosa before?  
 Not the greatest place in town to say the least..

Big Cheese       :D      

There are quite a few bands on there that haven't made any other list yet (e.g., DBT, Von Bondies)

I can see that there are going to be some seriously tough choices this year.

You'll know you're in Texas for this one:

La Zona Rosa (All Ages)
 â?¢ Slobberbone Denton TX Pop/Rock
 â?¢ Tim Easton Columbus OH Singer/Songwriter
 â?¢ Drive-By Truckers Athens GA Pop/Rock
 â?¢ The Flatlanders Lubbock TX Country

I guess Modest Mouse is  Hint, Hint @ La Zona Rosa on Wednesday.

grotty

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2004, 02:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mr. Mentally Retarded:
  I picked up the Constantines album for 50 cents in hopes that it might grow on me. It didn't. Oh well, at least I'll make a profit if I can unload it at another cd store.

A nice big update:

Band Update 1/22/04

[/b]
Whattya expect? You're mentally retarded.

I've seen the Shack Shakers a couple times already. I went to Antones last year to see the Black Keys - The LSS happened to be the act before. I was laughing so hard during that show that I actually spit my gum out into a friends hair. I think it was when he (the Colonel) pulled a handful of pubic hair & blew it into the crowd. The great stories just keep coming eh?     :D    

Won't miss the Slobberbone & DBT show.

grotty

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2004, 02:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by saco:
  Grotty: Where did you get this info?  What night is this?  Have you been to La Zona Rosa before?  
 Not the greatest place in town to say the least..

Big Cheese         :D        

[/b]
ggw posted a link above to preliminary schedules that were 'borrowed' from the SXSW site.

I've seen quite a few shows at La Zona Rosa & you are correct - it's not the best place in town. Now...the New West showcase last year @ the outdoor Cedar Street Courtyard was sweet.

Other favorite spots include the Red Eye Fly & Buffalo Billiards. And of course...The Continental Club. If you can catch a country tinged show there your Austin experience is complete.

grotty

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2004, 02:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

Black Lipstick The Caucus Patio Wednesday [/b]
Thanks - I'll do some research & try to check them out.

MiloGTC

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2004, 08:37:00 pm »
 Other favorite spots include the Red Eye Fly & Buffalo Billiards. And of course...The Continental Club. If you can catch a country tinged show there your Austin experience is complete.
The Continental Club isn't a SXSW venue this year -- they made the mistake of scheduling a week of Southern Culture on the Skids shows instead.

I'm actually the idiot responsible for finding that preliminary list on the SXSW site -- I say "idiot" because SXSW emailed the people who run that blog (donewaiting.com) and ordered them to take down the list (too many errors, apparently)... they've fixed the security holes on the official site, taken down all the preliminary pages they had set up, and on a possibly unrelated note, the unofficial sxsw_info yahoo group seems to have mysteriously disappeared...

grotty

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2004, 09:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by MiloGTC:

The Continental Club isn't a SXSW venue this year -- they made the mistake of scheduling a week of Southern Culture on the Skids shows instead.
 [/b]
That will be a big disappointment. Not only is it a great venue, but they had a couple of good events on that prelim schedule, including the Bloodshot Records showcase.

MiloGTC

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2004, 10:30:00 pm »
 That will be a big disappointment. Not only is it a great venue, but they had a couple of good events on that prelim schedule, including the Bloodshot Records showcase.
do you know where I can find the prelim schedule? a message board post or whatever? I didn't save a copy before it got deleted from the SXSW blog and the official site...
 I didn't see it on the prelim schedule - my info about the SCOTS shows was from an Austin newspaper article - but if they are including it, I stand corrected.

Jaguär

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2004, 01:24:00 am »

Originally posted by pollard:

Black Lipstick The Caucus Patio Wednesday [/b]
Thanks - I'll do some research & try to check them out. [/b]
Try to find the song "Dawn Of A New Error" by Black Lipstick. Shouldn't be too hard to find as it's been around for a couple years. Good rocking song.

grotty

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2004, 09:19:00 am »

do you know where I can find the prelim schedule? a message board post or whatever? I didn't save a copy before it got deleted from the SXSW blog and the official site...
 I didn't see it on the prelim schedule - my info about the SCOTS shows was from an Austin newspaper article - but if they are including it, I stand corrected. [/b]
I've only got a hard copy Milo...which, if you really want, I could send.

grotty

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2004, 09:27:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  [/qb]
Try to find the song "Dawn Of A New Error" by Black Lipstick. Shouldn't be too hard to find as it's been around for a couple years. Good rocking song. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Thx Jag - I'll see if I can 'find' it.

I just received a package containing the new Cooper Temple Clause. Happy Birthday Friday indeed.

MiloGTC

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2004, 01:17:00 pm »

I've only got a hard copy Milo...which, if you really want, I could send. [/b]
no need to go that far... thanks, though. the real list will be up soon enough.

twangirl

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2004, 06:02:00 pm »
  And of course...The Continental Club. If you can catch a country tinged show there your Austin experience is complete. [/qb]
 [/QB][/QUOTE]

According to the Continental Club website, SCOTS are there March 13-17, so they'll probably do SXSW shows Thursday through Saturday. And I think Alejandro Escovedo is planning on doing his annual Sunday night show there, although it's not an official SXSW event.

While I would agree that the Continental Club is honky-tonk heaven, I think no trip to Austin is complete without a visit to the legendary Broken Spoke, one of the last old-school honky-tonks left in central Texas.