Author Topic: If I had three wishes...  (Read 10616 times)

Frank Gallagher

Re: If I had three wishes...
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2005, 04:51:00 am »
Hey teachers...just what the flying fuck is a "professional day" apart from yet another day off for you lot?

Snow days...do you get paid for those days off? That must be what....two weeks extra paid vacation.

PigIron

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2005, 05:19:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Salaries of local first-year teachers:

Fairfax: $40,000
 Arlington: $40,816
 Montgomery: $40,816

Source
That's nice, but c'mon - those are some of the higher-paying counties in the country.  Not everyone can get jobs in those counties.  I've been a teacher for six years, and I currently make 42,000.  I like being a teacher, no doubt.  But certain aspects do suck!  I've never taken a summer off in my six years - don't think all teachers take off for those two months.  I work in a building with no air conditioning (in AA county)  And the worst - workdays that continue well after you get home.
 Teaching is a great job but dont act like its cushy or that we bitch for no reason.  We work much more than your typical 40 hour week and in many places around the country we don't get paid that much. N. Virginia is certainly not a great example.   Rural Virginia is - I worked there as a first year teacher and I can honestly tell you that my salary was not anywhere near 40 fucking thousand dollars a year.

Bags

« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2005, 10:03:00 am »
Originally posted by hitman:
 Most jobs have a cost of living increase.  However, let it be noted that in the current real estate market, that the cost of living increases in salary, aren't keeping up with the actual cost of living, especially for those working in public service...police, fire/rescue, social work, and education.
As I've said before, I'm for teachers being paid more.  That noted, my cost of living increase is 2-3%.  Not quite keeping up to the 20-25% annual real estate inflation over the last few years either...

Bags

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2005, 10:10:00 am »
  What I get tired of, is getting dumped on by the Board, and by a thankless governmental system, and especially by parents who think that they should be at their every fucking whim.
Man oh man, some of the parents....I can only imagine.  I'll take my regulatory bureaucrats any day over crazed parents....  Bless you.

hitman

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2005, 08:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by O'Mankie:
  Hey teachers...just what the flying fuck is a "professional day" apart from yet another day off for you lot?

Snow days...do you get paid for those days off? That must be what....two weeks extra paid vacation.
A professional day normally is for in-house conferences on state/national testing, or for county-wide professional development where you have to go to meetings and such.  I'd personally rather not have them.

Snow days.  It depends on how you look at that.  Yes we are paid for them.  But you have to make them up at the end of the year.  It's not like it's just another day off.  Case in point, Howard County used three snow days this year, and it extended the school year by another three days.  If a snow day is called on a professional development day, that day is also tacked on to the end of the year.

hitman

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2005, 08:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

What I get tired of, is getting dumped on by the Board, and by a thankless governmental system, and especially by parents who think that they should be at their every fucking whim.
Man oh man, some of the parents....I can only imagine.  I'll take my regulatory bureaucrats any day over crazed parents....  Bless you. [/b]
sarcasm???

Bags

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2005, 11:13:00 pm »

Man oh man, some of the parents....I can only imagine.  I'll take my regulatory bureaucrats any day over crazed parents....  Bless you. [/b]
sarcasm??? [/b]
No, no sarcasm.  I'll bet there are a few parents every year that are HUGE pains in the ass...You know, the kind who start their kids on russian language flash cards before they're two years old...

hitman

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2005, 12:45:00 am »

sarcasm??? [/b]
No, no sarcasm.  I'll bet there are a few parents every year that are HUGE pains in the ass...You know, the kind who start their kids on russian language flash cards before they're two years old... [/b]
Or the SpEd parents who think their children are more capable than they really are, and quote the "No Child Left Behind Act" verbatim.  Case in point, I have a 10 year old with a hemispherectomy that is on a diploma tract, that likes to stick his hand up his ass and pull out shit, when he dislikes something.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2005, 05:47:00 am »
Instead of whining about how little you're paid....why not get a sales job and make real coin, and leave the teaching to those who care about the children!

tenfifteen

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2005, 07:59:00 am »
  Instead of whining about how little you're paid....why not get a sales job and make real coin, and leave the teaching to those who care about the children!
OMFG WHY DO YOU WANT TEH TEACHERS AND CHILDERN TO DIE!?!?11!#$!@!

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2005, 08:14:00 am »
Originally posted by tenfifteen:

OMFG WHY DO YOU WANT TEH TEACHERS AND CHILDERN TO DIE!?!?11!#$!@! [/b]
...just the whinging teachers..

brennser

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2005, 09:09:00 am »
uuuhhhh, whats wrong with kids being able to speak multiple languages? they soak it up at that age - much better tha trying to teach it to them as they grow older

.You know, the kind who start their kids on russian language flash cards before they're two years old...

sonickteam2

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2005, 09:38:00 am »
  Not quite keeping up to the 20-25% annual real estate inflation over the last few years either...
are you still getting that house? i do remember you saying...

sonickteam2

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2005, 09:40:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:
  uuuhhhh, whats wrong with kids being able to speak multiple languages? they soak it up at that age - much better tha trying to teach it to them as they grow older

.You know, the kind who start their kids on russian language flash cards before they're two years old...
[/b]
i agree!!!! by high school, i just took spanish so i could take a nap for an hour each day!

hitman

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2005, 03:54:00 am »

Originally posted by tenfifteen:

OMFG WHY DO YOU WANT TEH TEACHERS AND CHILDERN TO DIE!?!?11!#$!@! [/b]
...just the whinging teachers.. [/b]
Nope.  Haven't been whining yet, just merely stating facts.  

In fact, O'Yankme, caring for the children is why I do stay in the profession.  And that's not caring for children in the Irish Catholic way either.