Author Topic: If I had three wishes...  (Read 10622 times)

tenfifteen

Re: If I had three wishes...
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2005, 03:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:
 YEAH!  dont bitch about your pay!! just take what they give you and shut up about it!

you wanna come work for me?
Did I miss a meeting? They're not indentured are they? I mean... presumably they were free to choose their career path.

And sure, I'll come work for you. If you don't meet my salary requirements I'll take another job. See how easy that was?

[chuckling] Sooooo easy. Hey, you know who else sucks? Firemen!

rowr, ROWR!!!

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2005, 03:38:00 pm »
Oh, with my third wish I'd wish for endless amounts of money to be able to pay the teachers all the money they keep bitching about not getting.....but tell them to fuck off and give it to the nurses instead because they're so much more deserving and underpaid

ggw

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2005, 03:40:00 pm »
Salaries of local first-year teachers:

Fairfax: $40,000
 Arlington: $40,816
 Montgomery: $40,816

Source

sonickteam2

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2005, 03:48:00 pm »
can we get some of the middle class counties' numbers?  lets try Baltimore city!  i bet its not $40k.

tenfifteen

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2005, 03:50:00 pm »
http://www.udel.edu/teachered/teachersalaries.htm

LOL. It's in Maryland, by the way.

brennser

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2005, 03:51:00 pm »
Staff Nurse - RN the United States    

25th%ile - $51,334
 Median  - $56,435    
 75th%ile - $60,979

grotty

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2005, 03:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by O'Mankie:
  but tell them to fuck off and give it to the nurses instead because they're so much more deserving and underpaid
Now that's the truth. My previous job was as a compensation consultant. I did a lot of work with hospitals. I was shocked at how little most healthcare professionals make. So then my father gets admitted to the hospital & I'm sitting there watching these people come in & perform lifesaving procedures on my Dad thinking ~ he's making $25k a year...and then I think we've got salespeople in my organization making $100k. WRONG.

(did that make ANY sense? I've been reading too much FLAWD)

flawd101

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2005, 03:54:00 pm »
as high school student i must say teacher deserve a lot more pay.  i see what they have to go through...it looks like hell.  i could never do it.

that being said, pay is the one thing they seem to always want more of.  it is annoying to hear "pay the teachers more" all the time.

grotty

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2005, 03:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:

25th%ile - $51,334
 Median  - $56,435    
 75th%ile - $60,979
That looks REALLY high. 2 years ago the median for all US organizations was only ~ $43k. CRNAs (Nurse Anesthetists) are an exception - paid VERY nicely.

Those salary.com type numbers are often misleadingly high. While they may have improved somewhat recently you have to be very careful & consider the:

Primary purpose of the data
 Target customers for the data
 The underlying database (data sources)
 Methodology used to gather and analyze data

That'll be $350 - my old billing rate per hour. Sick huh?

Bags

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2005, 03:57:00 pm »
I read a story recently about a couple in which the husband cut back on his hours in order to take care of his daughter because he was an anesthesiology nurse and his wife was a doctor (an anesthesiologist).  He was making $150K before he cut back.  Doesn't sound bad to me...

Bags

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2005, 04:02:00 pm »
I'll tell you, the RNs run the f'ing hospitals.  Okay, I know, we need doctors, but I spent a lot of time in hospitals almost 10 years ago -- thank god for the frickin' nurses.

Sir HC

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2005, 04:30:00 pm »
What torques me about schools is that these friggin' idiots keep wanting to add computers and other crap that sops up all the money.  Teach english, don't have a friggin' computer do it.  In my county (Howard) housing values have shot up.  The taxes off the houses is what they use to fund education.  That has shot up too.  They still complain they need more.  Why?  Because they squander what they have on crap.  If teachers with to be paid more, they should get all these b.s. extras knocked out so that there is more in that pool of money for themselves.

brennser

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2005, 04:35:00 pm »
yes, you have to be careful with data sources btu I don't think this is too far off base

where the comparison is more difficult is that ggw listed starting salaries for teachers whereas these data represent all RN salaries and are skewed by the fact that the nursing workforce is very very old with alot of nurses making high hourly rates

based on my admittedly non-random sample of friends and family who are nurses I would say these numbers are in the ballpark for base salary for RNs in HOSPITALS - of course they all 'take home' far more than this due to overtime, shift differentials etc

if you are even a moderately competent nurse in this country and are willing to work nights or weekends you can easily pull down 100k a year

Originally posted by The Artist Formerly Known As grotty:

25th%ile - $51,334
 Median  - $56,435    
 75th%ile - $60,979
That looks REALLY high. 2 years ago the median for all US organizations was only ~ $43k. CRNAs (Nurse Anesthetists) are an exception - paid VERY nicely.

Those salary.com type numbers are often misleadingly high. While they may have improved somewhat recently you have to be very careful & consider the:

Primary purpose of the data
 Target customers for the data
 The underlying database (data sources)
 Methodology used to gather and analyze data

That'll be $350 - my old billing rate per hour. Sick huh? [/b]

markie

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2005, 04:40:00 pm »

if you are even a moderately competent nurse in this country and are willing to work nights or weekends you can easily pull down 100k a year

Yeah, that is the impression I got from talking to a few American nurses.

sonickteam2

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2005, 04:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by tenfifteen:
   http://www.udel.edu/teachered/teachersalaries.htm  

LOL. It's in Maryland, by the way.
whats so funny about these numbers? i dont get what your laughin at.....

and what's "in Maryland, by the way" ?