Author Topic: If I had three wishes...  (Read 10618 times)

grotty

Re: If I had three wishes...
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2005, 05:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:
  yes, you have to be careful with data sources btu I don't think this is too far off base

where the comparison is more difficult is that ggw listed starting salaries for teachers whereas these data represent all RN salaries and are skewed by the fact that the nursing workforce is very very old with alot of nurses making high hourly rates

based on my admittedly non-random sample of friends and family who are nurses I would say these numbers are in the ballpark for base salary for RNs in HOSPITALS - of course they all 'take home' far more than this due to overtime, shift differentials etc

if you are even a moderately competent nurse in this country and are willing to work nights or weekends you can easily pull down 100k a year

I think there's a lot of truth in there, but I also think it's very misleading.

A starting nurse will not make anywhere near those numbers - it will take them forever to get there (at 3-4% annual increases) - & to achieve $100k as a regular nurse (non-CRNA, etc.) you have to sell your soul.

redsock

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2005, 05:16:00 pm »
I wish that certain BigYawn writers could actually write the reviews they were assigned. Not even on time, that's too much to ask. Just actually finish them.

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2005, 05:16:00 pm »
For my second wish:

Please let poor, old Dr.Kevorkian out of prison.

redsock

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2005, 05:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by The Artist Formerly Known As grotty:

Originally posted by brennser:
  yes, you have to be careful with data sources btu I don't think this is too far off base

where the comparison is more difficult is that ggw listed starting salaries for teachers whereas these data represent all RN salaries and are skewed by the fact that the nursing workforce is very very old with alot of nurses making high hourly rates

based on my admittedly non-random sample of friends and family who are nurses I would say these numbers are in the ballpark for base salary for RNs in HOSPITALS - of course they all 'take home' far more than this due to overtime, shift differentials etc

if you are even a moderately competent nurse in this country and are willing to work nights or weekends you can easily pull down 100k a year

A starting nurse will not make anywhere near those numbers - it will take them forever to get there (at 3-4% annual increases) - & to achieve $100k as a regular nurse (non-CRNA, etc.) you have to sell your soul. [/b]
My sister in an RN without a BA, and she makes in th 90's. Course, she's been doing it for 30 years. The problem is that most of the unrses nowadays don't actually enjoy working, or even think that it is apart of their job. Or so I'm told.

SPARX

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2005, 05:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  I wish that certain BigYawn writers could actually write the reviews they were assigned. Not even on time, that's too much to ask. Just actually finish them.
Good help is hard to find.Especially good inexpensive help.

brennser

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2005, 05:21:00 pm »
grotty

I think its all a question of interpretation

you're probably right - a starting nurse is more likely to make in the 40k range (still not bad in my opinion) - but again, this is a base salary that doesn't take into account overtime etc etc

if they stay at one place, it 'might' take them a while, but such is the supply-demand situation regarding nurses these days that they are constantly job hopping for higher hourly wages

I don't think you have to sell you soul at all to make 100k, you might have to make certain lifestyle adjustments, not work a 9-5 day or a 40 hour week but the opportunity is there in way its not available to other types of professions

A starting nurse will not make anywhere near those numbers - it will take them forever to get there (at 3-4% annual increases) - & to achieve $100k as a regular nurse (non-CRNA, etc.) you have to sell your soul.

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2005, 05:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
 My sister in an RN without a BA..?
My sister had a BM on MDA, while she was trying for a MBA.  She wants to work for MBNA.

tenfifteen

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2005, 06:59:00 pm »
What's funny is that two years ago, the base salary of a teach in Bal'more, City Of, was $35k--or a mere $5k less than the 2005 salary of the "higher class" areas that were pointed out.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the salaries haven't adjusted downward. Let's say +3% per year for two years, and that's $37k.

Oh, the horror. They might have to drive a Jetta instead of an Infiniti, but you know, I'd have been happy with that salary at 23.

"In Maryland" is where Baltimore is located. Just wanted to help out there.

Jaguär

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2005, 03:32:00 am »
Originally posted by tenfifteen:
  What's funny is that two years ago, the base salary of a teach in Bal'more, City Of, was $35k--or a mere $5k less than the 2005 salary of the "higher class" areas that were pointed out.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the salaries haven't adjusted downward. Let's say +3% per year for two years, and that's $37k.

Oh, the horror. They might have to drive a Jetta instead of an Infiniti, but you know, I'd have been happy with that salary at 23.

"In Maryland" is where Baltimore is located. Just wanted to help out there.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the base pay is still about the same, especially considering that they've had tons of financial problems regarding extreme mismanagement at the top of the ranks and have very good reason to believe that their pay has not been increased at all. In fact, the media had noted that management was going to make up for their screw-ups by penalizing the teachers via pay and supplies. Same old, same old. That's quite common. In fact, a 3% pay raise for one year is a pretty high one for them. It's usually 1-2% if anything at all. Unlike Worcester County, they don't receive cost of living increases. I know that 1st hand. Also keep in mind that no teacher makes any overtime pay whatsoever. The exception is that a few districts will pay something like a token $1,000/yr to coaches. Most other teachers who run school clubs and such, which are sometimes required, never make one additional penny.

What's also not included is that the pay doesn't get much better once you've been there over the years, unlike most jobs. They stay pretty stagnant. At least, that's true for Baltimore City and many other districts. Some pay well but many don't. The only way to increase your pay is to aquire more degrees which cost more than you ever recoup. Even then, after you've obtained 2 Masters degrees, that's it except for a PhD which is even less cost effective; HOWEVER, the state of Maryland still requires you to continue taking graduate classes just to hold onto your certification, hence, your job.

Funny thing is, Baltimore City has to keep hiring uncertified teachers just to staff the classrooms because so many teachers end up quitting. Certified teachers generally don't make any more money than the uncertified ones yet will lose their jobs if they don't play the certification racket game. If you don't, they think nothing of firing you and then replacing you with an uncertified teacher! That too is part of the game.

Can't speak for most teachers unions but I also know 1st hand that the Baltimore Teachers Union does almost nothing to protect it's teachers. They are such a scam!!! It's a closed agency which means that every teacher must contribute a whole lot of money to keep them afloat. They sold the teachers out when they agreed with the City to make it illegal for the teachers to strike; hence causing them to loose most of their bargaining power. From my observations, all the Union cares about are smaller class sizes because it requires more teachers, resulting in more union dues in their greedy hands. Oh, and their own political careers. That's their other selfish concern. I could go on about how they have been part of the cause of more work without additional pay and how they often avoid helping teachers out who are being unfairly treated in the schools. And voting for union leadership is as big a farce as voting for an American president. It's incredibly corrupt and doesn't represent the teachers anymore. They only say they do.

I fully agree with what Sir HC said about computers in the schools. I would also add library books to that. Have you ever noticed that whenever anyone donates something to a school, it always seems to be computers or library books? Not to discredit their potential values but they are the least that some of these schools need!!! In fact, some of the biggest needs don't even involve money but do involve things like real (not violent) discipline and realistic expectations.

Actually, I tend to think different than most teachers concerning money and the schools. You see, I don't eat up all of the crap that the unions and the politically correct establisments throw out there. After seeing so much mismanagement and other corruptions, I got to the point that I am sometimes against more money being thrown to many of the schools. You see, it got that each year I would hear on the news about Baltimore City receiving at least a million dollars more for their total budget every single year. Then when I would show up for the 1st day of school each year, I'd hear all this crap about budget cuts. After some personal investigation, that was the same line in all of the schools, not just mine. That's when I realized that something wasn't quite kosher concerning the inside distribution of funds within the school system itself. Found out about some principals embezelling money too and other crap. Didn't take me long to see that my personal taxes kept being increased to put money into the classrooms yet every single year I was, in reality, seeing much, much less. Fuck that! Get things straightened out first than I may rethink that issue.  

With all that said, after 2 Masters degrees and 13 years of teaching, I never even saw $50,000 per year and the scale wasn't going up at all. It was just costing me more money to take useless classes just to keep my job, though it would never make me any more money, and that doesn't even consider what it cost of my time, efforts, and sanity. Even then, the pay factor was way at the bottom of my list of why I ended up quitting. Same is true for almost every teacher who quits. Everyone always thinks it's the money. It's not at all! That's all that some people think is involved. They are so way off that it's not funny. Keep in mind, there is a big reason why so many teachers across the country are quitting and most of it has nothing whatsoever to do with money. It's not at all the job that it was when we were students and it's not the job that most people think it is prior to entering.

Finally, about not joining the army if you don't want to have to deal with bullets. Well, I refused to join the military or the police force because I'm just not the right type of person to have to work with bullets. One of the hundreds of reasons that I quit my teaching job was because I got tired of having to deal with bullets and other weapons while I was trying to teach. Excluding possibly the Faulklands, I bet that I saw more action of that sort while teaching in Baltimore City than O'Mankie ever saw during his entire time in the Royal Navy. I bet anything that Tenfifteen couldn't handle even 1 month teaching in any Inner City classroom. He'd be out of there in no time flat!

I now work in a nursing home for less than half of what I made teaching and I would never, ever for even one second consider going back to teaching after all of the crap that I've had to deal with, most of which wasn't even hinted at here. Again, it's not the money. I'm working with nurses now (who receive the bulk of the payroll) and as tough as it is, it's a piece of cake compared to most teaching jobs. You have to consider the districts too. Some are much better than others while some are horrific Hell pits that pay much, much less than the better districts.

Oh, and once I finally was able to purchase a very modest new car after several years of teaching, the week that it was finally paid in full, it was maliciously vandalized in the school parking lot. That was much better than being stolen like what happened to several other teachers that I know of. The schools refuse to help you find or penalize the thugs either, just like they refuse to penalize disruptive students.

In closing, fuck off, Tenfifteen! Flawd has so much more common sense than you do. He sees what's going on in the modern classroom of today and it scares the shit out of me when I think of our future!

tenfifteen

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2005, 08:15:00 am »
LMFAO!!! Goddamn... take it easy there, Tolstoy. Surely you didn't type that thing yourself? Maybe you just queried "angry scattershot rant on education" at Google and appended the "fuck off" to me at the end?

Whatever... Hilarity either way. If I'd known this was going to be so much fun, I would've widened my pattern initially to include other sacred cows.

rowr, ROWR!!! PFFFT!!!

[chuckling derisively]

P.S. Also, it's tenfifteen (I don't capitalize it).

sonickteam2

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2005, 08:29:00 am »
  LMFAO!!! Goddamn... take it easy there, Tolstoy. Surely you didn't type that thing yourself? Maybe you just queried "angry scattershot rant on education" at Google and appended the "fuck off" to me at the end?

Whatever... Hilarity either way. If I'd known this was going to be so much fun, I would've widened my pattern initially to include other sacred cows.

rowr, ROWR!!! PFFFT!!!

[chuckling derisively]

P.S. Also, it's tenfifteen (I don't capitalize it).
actually, you have just been proven to be a fool.  thanks, Jag for putting "tenfifteen" in thier place  :)

sonickteam2

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2005, 08:34:00 am »

[chuckling derisively]

in your underwear most likely?

tenfifteen

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2005, 08:38:00 am »
Awww... now I feel all empty inside. Because I'm a fool. A fool who is now in his place. How shall I continue? The HUMANITY, I SAY!

Anyway, you know what they say about arguing on the Internet don't you? I suggest ratcheting down on the serious pills. You could have, like... an aneurysm, or something.

P.S. "Their" is the spelling you were looking for. Didnt ewe paye atention too you're teech3rz?

tenfifteen

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2005, 08:43:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:
 in your underwear most likely?
OMG THAT IS SO FUNNY! In a rather pithy way, it implies that I am a jobless loser with too much time on my hands. Wow... are you puh-sychic?

Eh... No. You're not. So I'll help out: "Actually" (which is what I usually say when I mean "in fact"), I'm wearing jeans over my underwear, in an extremely large federal building in Northwest named after a former president who recently passed away. But I do have far too much time on my hands today.

Assuming you're in the District, let's get lunch sometime, huh? I'm really a swell guy. Don't hate. Appreciate!!

hitman

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2005, 02:29:00 am »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  What torques me about schools is that these friggin' idiots keep wanting to add computers and other crap that sops up all the money.  Teach english, don't have a friggin' computer do it.  In my county (Howard) housing values have shot up.  The taxes off the houses is what they use to fund education.  That has shot up too.  They still complain they need more.  Why?  Because they squander what they have on crap.  If teachers with to be paid more, they should get all these b.s. extras knocked out so that there is more in that pool of money for themselves.
Hey Sir...

That's exactly where I am...Howard County.  My wife and I are both teachers.  We have 13 years experience teaching between us, and still can't afford a house in this damn county.

I'm not going to appease the others bitching about teacher's pay being great.  Not going there.  Don't drive an Infiniti, a Pontiac instead.

Most jobs have a cost of living increase.  However, let it be noted that in the current real estate market, that the cost of living increases in salary, aren't keeping up with the actual cost of living, especially for those working in public service...police, fire/rescue, social work, and education.

The one thing I can say is that policemen and firemen have the ability and availability to work overtime.  Teachers on the other hand do not, especially in the cases of policemen who report to traffic court.  They get pad overtime for that, every time.  

And in MD, you have ten years after your start date of teaching to acquire your Master's Degree or equivalent.  If not, you can be let go, or if you are lucky enough to be kept around, your salary basically stays stagnate.  After which time of obtaining your Master's, every time you come up for recertification, you must have completed further credits by way of more graduate credits at an institution, or in county classes.

And the school year now for most that I know is 10months.  And once you factor in that most days are 12 hour days or more, plus taking work home for the weekends.  It's like someone else working a 40hr./week job, and getting like a week's vacation.  

I highly enjoy my job most days.  What I get tired of, is getting dumped on by the Board, and by a thankless governmental system, and especially by parents who think that they should be at their every fucking whim.