Author Topic: New Radiohead album this week  (Read 58747 times)

Brian_Wallace

Re: New Radiohead album this week
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2011, 07:02:28 pm »

"I got very tired of watching other people listen to the band?s post-Kid A (really post-O.K. Computer, if I?m honest) releases and nod like they were really ?getting it.? Radiohead became a kind of shortcut to rock depth, the way placing a few New Yorkers on your coffee table is a shortcut to, well, lit depth. For a few dollars (or for free, if you took them up on their offer to download 2007?s In Rainbows for as much or as little as you felt like paying), anyone could pretend to have great taste."

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2011/02/the-king-of-limbs-radiohead-is-charging-this-timeis-it-worth-it.html

Brian

Mobius

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2011, 11:44:53 pm »
Maybe it was today's awesome weather, but The King of Limbs had me thinking of a nice mountain bike loop.  Radiohead isn't really breaking new ground - it fits in with Kid A, Amnesiac, Thom Yorke's Eraser, In Rainbows - and its non-'songy', even by recent Radiohead standards.  But like a good bike trail, it flows, its got ups and downs (and flats), its got some challenging parts and some sweet singletrack to look forward to (Lotus Flower) and there are some climbs but it ends with an enjoyable twisting downhill (Separator).  Probably like a 6 mile loop, not overly taxing, and the terrain is fun and interesting and its easy to look forward to visiting again. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:44:34 am by Mobius »

wml7

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2011, 12:44:21 pm »
Liking the new album  ;D

blipvurt

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2011, 01:11:20 pm »
Much better than "In Rainbows", which is a relief. I'm digging it.

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2011, 02:19:43 pm »
I like it, but I like In Rainbows more. However, I love In Rainbows, so liking the new album less isn't a very bad thing.

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2011, 01:24:30 am »

"I got very tired of watching other people listen to the band?s post-Kid A (really post-O.K. Computer, if I?m honest) releases and nod like they were really ?getting it.? Radiohead became a kind of shortcut to rock depth, the way placing a few New Yorkers on your coffee table is a shortcut to, well, lit depth. For a few dollars (or for free, if you took them up on their offer to download 2007?s In Rainbows for as much or as little as you felt like paying), anyone could pretend to have great taste."

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2011/02/the-king-of-limbs-radiohead-is-charging-this-timeis-it-worth-it.html

Brian

Don't agree with this at all. When I was a kid, Karma Police was big and I liked it, but never really investigated the band more than that. I was still too young when Kid A came out to really take notice. 2004 came along as did Hail and I liked it. Wasn't blown away, but liked it. Then In Rainbows came and I fell in love with the music. Went back into their catalog and experienced their greatness to the extent it deserves. Till this day, In Rainbows is still my favorite and their best in my personal point of view. If I was one of these true typical 'hipsters' as the article likes to cite, then Id be bashing all their post Kid A work.

On another note, King of Limbs still has me mixed. The first half seems like MEH to me while i feel the second half could stand up to most of their best work. Anyone else feel the same?

walkonby

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2011, 09:01:53 am »
"when i was a kid, karma police was big . . . ."

"i was still too young when kid a came out . . . ."

can i just kill myself now?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2011, 09:34:32 am »

Brian

the only thing worse than people who trot out post-Kid A Radiohead as kind of shortcut to rock depth: people who claim that Radiohead haven't released anything decent since The Bends (or Pablo Honey, if you're really hardcore). 
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2011, 10:02:41 am »
Everything Radiohead has done post-Bends is certifiable bad.

Brian

the only thing worse than people who trot out post-Kid A Radiohead as kind of shortcut to rock depth: people who claim that Radiohead haven't released anything decent since The Bends (or Pablo Honey, if you're really hardcore). 

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2011, 10:19:01 am »

Agreed.  What is so interesting or original about "King of Limbs?"  If it was some artist you never heard of, you'd dismiss it as self-indugent, navel-gazing crap.  But since it's THE ALMIGHTY RADIOHEAD!  (Bow down, please) it's so mind-blowingly genius, our poor, pathetic minds can't possibly grasp how great it is.

I can't believe no one's done a "Can you spot the difference?" between a "new" Radiohead song and some soundscape the guy from Owl City came up with.  Where's Negativeland when you need them?

Brian

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2011, 12:20:09 pm »
"when i was a kid, karma police was big . . . ."

"i was still too young when kid a came out . . . ."

can i just kill myself now?

Cant speak for the board, but i have no objections.

Nicely stated Sweetcell.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:24:35 pm by IMAmoose24 »

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2011, 12:47:02 pm »
Don't agree with this at all. When I was a kid, Karma Police was big and I liked it, but never really investigated the band more than that. I was still too young when Kid A came out to really take notice. 2004 came along as did Hail and I liked it. Wasn't blown away, but liked it. Then In Rainbows came and I fell in love with the music. Went back into their catalog and experienced their greatness to the extent it deserves. Till this day, In Rainbows is still my favorite and their best in my personal point of view. If I was one of these true typical 'hipsters' as the article likes to cite, then Id be bashing all their post Kid A work.

That is the exact same story for me with Pearl Jam. Didn't really care much until I started listening to their 2000-era live stuff, when Riot Act came out I fell in love. Started really getting into their earlier shit. Riot Act may not be their "best album" fuck that it IS their best album and will always hold a special place in my heart.

Sometimes when I'm really drunk I like to sing Riot Act songs like Cropduster, Ghost, Half Full and All or None.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2011, 12:50:33 pm »
Speaking of Radiohead sound alikes, its a good thing the Hollies helped them write their big hit Creep
T.Rex

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2011, 01:20:12 pm »
Speaking of Radiohead sound alikes, its a good thing the Hollies helped them write their big hit Creep

Trivia:  Radiohead actually have to pay royalties to "The Air That I Breathe"'s songwriters, Mike Hazelwood and.....Albert Hammond, Sr.  Father of the white-froed Strokes guitarist.

Brian