Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455468 times)

wml7

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1590 on: May 22, 2013, 11:47:56 am »
Zac Brown of the Zac Brown Band

isn't that a little redundant?

oh come on, I just copied and pasted
 ;D

Yada

« Reply #1591 on: May 22, 2013, 01:53:03 pm »
Molly Ringwald
11-19/20 (Four performances)
Blues Alley

I think it'd be awesome if she did an entire show of John Hughes soundtrack covers...Simple Minds, Belouis Some, Gene Loves Jezebel, Book of Love. Something tells me that's not what it'll be.

yeah that would be cool....i think she's a jazz singer or something

Where is blues alley.  Anyway I had a crush on her back in 1984. 

A very dark alley in Georgetown, be careful walking back there at night.

actually georgetown is quite safe.  We at least from murder. 

Not lately, a ton of crime on that block near that alley. Be careful.

crime . . . dc . . . getting shot or stabbed? . . . cant be . . . wow . . . naw . . . really . . . you sure about that . . . all those people together under one dome of city spoiled air and they cant be nice to each other all the time?  how racist of them all.

you can never be too safe in G-Town.

http://www.popville.com/2013/05/victim-robbed-and-assaulted-with-a-taser-last-night-in-georgetown/

killsaly

« Reply #1592 on: May 22, 2013, 02:01:30 pm »
I still have never ventured to the R&R Hotel, not a good experience?  I think I've read it gets crowded and its hard to get to.  Anything else?

It just gets so damn hot in the main room during crowded shows. Plus their sound sucks like 90% of the time. That room is just miserable. They do have an awesome upstairs which has free dance parties (usually during cool band's performances haha) They do seem to book lots of cool acts and keep prices fairly low. I go where the music I like is, so I end up there a lot it seems.
My opinion:
1.  it isnt hard to get to, if you drive.  I have yet to had a bad experience parking or getting there.
2.  Ive seen a variety of acts there over the years, and most have sounded excellent.
3.  It gets hot at EVERY crowded venue.  Ive been miserable at a crowded 930 club in the summer, so i dont know why RNRH would get hate for that. 
4.  Prices for shows are usually reasonable.
5.  They book pretty great bands, usually. 

Some people stay away because the bookers might screw over locals.  I do not have insider knowledge, just going off of what others say.

What I do not like:
1. If the show is sold out...  Yes it can be hard to move around, and a bit much for claustrophobic types.
2.  (also if the show is sold out) sight lines can suck.  The venue is shaped like a long rectangle.  It would be nice if it was a bit wider.  This is also amplified by the fact that the stage is kind of low. 

Anyways, my opinion is it is a good venue to see bands of a certain size.  Would I rather go somewhere else?  Yes.  Usually I would prefer similar sized bands to play Black Cat (and would hands down pick to see them at the Ottobar).  But I have fun there, and have seen some amazing shows there.   

Yada

« Reply #1593 on: May 22, 2013, 02:15:21 pm »
I still have never ventured to the R&R Hotel, not a good experience?  I think I've read it gets crowded and its hard to get to.  Anything else?

It just gets so damn hot in the main room during crowded shows. Plus their sound sucks like 90% of the time. That room is just miserable. They do have an awesome upstairs which has free dance parties (usually during cool band's performances haha) They do seem to book lots of cool acts and keep prices fairly low. I go where the music I like is, so I end up there a lot it seems.
My opinion:
1.  it isnt hard to get to, if you drive.  I have yet to had a bad experience parking or getting there.
2.  Ive seen a variety of acts there over the years, and most have sounded excellent.
3.  It gets hot at EVERY crowded venue.  Ive been miserable at a crowded 930 club in the summer, so i dont know why RNRH would get hate for that. 
4.  Prices for shows are usually reasonable.
5.  They book pretty great bands, usually. 

Some people stay away because the bookers might screw over locals.  I do not have insider knowledge, just going off of what others say.

What I do not like:
1. If the show is sold out...  Yes it can be hard to move around, and a bit much for claustrophobic types.
2.  (also if the show is sold out) sight lines can suck.  The venue is shaped like a long rectangle.  It would be nice if it was a bit wider.  This is also amplified by the fact that the stage is kind of low. 

Anyways, my opinion is it is a good venue to see bands of a certain size.  Would I rather go somewhere else?  Yes.  Usually I would prefer similar sized bands to play Black Cat (and would hands down pick to see them at the Ottobar).  But I have fun there, and have seen some amazing shows there.   

I agree with this post. My only issues with the place is generally the sound blows.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #1594 on: May 22, 2013, 02:23:22 pm »
Agreed on everything above.  The rooftop bar is pretty nice, too (DC9's is better, tho).  Happy hour until 7 is always welcome.

I mean how much would it really cost them to raise the stage juuuuuuust a little bit?

killsaly

« Reply #1595 on: May 22, 2013, 02:31:24 pm »
Do you guys find the sound to be too loud?  Too quiet?  Muddy? 

Just curious, as I see a lot of "their sound sucks" posts and it is often left at that, with no explanation. 

Yada

« Reply #1596 on: May 22, 2013, 02:39:52 pm »

Just curious, as I see a lot of "their sound sucks" posts and it is often left at that, with no explanation. 

To be honest, I've seen less than 10 shows there in five or six years (how long have they been open)??

The last show I attended there was Matthew E. White and there were about 50 people there max... The sound was so atrociously loud, you couldn't hear anything in the mix.

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #1597 on: May 22, 2013, 02:41:14 pm »

muddy / poorly mixed is typically my issue.  I remember when I saw Ghost (now Ghost BC) there last year and I had no idea there was a keyboard player on stage until someone mentioned it to me later-- it was so crowded (and I'm short!) that I couldn't see him on stage, and I certainly couldn't hear him in the mix.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1598 on: May 22, 2013, 03:04:25 pm »
Agreed on everything above.  The rooftop bar is pretty nice, too (DC9's is better, tho).  Happy hour until 7 is always welcome.

I mean how much would it really cost them to raise the stage juuuuuuust a little bit?
Yeah right, RNR rooftop > DC9 rooftop. 15-20 people on the DC9 roof and it feels crowded as hell.
‼‼?‼‼

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1599 on: May 22, 2013, 03:27:57 pm »
The only people who routinely complain about FreeFest are those nostalgic about getting baked under the Virgin Fest sun with RHCP headlining.  FreeFest is something I look forward to..
T.Rex

atomicfront

« Reply #1600 on: May 22, 2013, 03:36:20 pm »
The only people who routinely complain about FreeFest are those nostalgic about getting baked under the Virgin Fest sun with RHCP headlining.  FreeFest is something I look forward to..

I can afford to buy tickets.  So I wish they would make it a pay thing which would keep out the riff-raff and hopefully have better artists.

atomicfront

« Reply #1601 on: May 22, 2013, 03:50:20 pm »
The prices were close to 200 dollars at 930 club.  I paid 105 dollars a ticket to see them from the balcony at Tower Theater in Philly.  Not an exagaration at all as they are even more popular now than when I saw them last year.  DAR is not equivialant to MPP.  A lot of people I assume have bought lawn seats. 

Interesting.  Saw them for free twice last year, including the show at the Fillmore.

Well I assume someone paid for the tickets.  And I don't get how the National gets put in with the other bands. They have a bunch of albums out and have been around for a while.  They are probably the kind of band you would have expected to headline in the 80's.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1603 on: May 22, 2013, 04:32:14 pm »
I'm just glad all the better band will already have played MPP by the time freefest rolls around ;)
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #1604 on: May 22, 2013, 04:54:55 pm »
I'm just glad all the better band will already have played MPP by the time freefest rolls around ;)

I'll bet atomicfront wears Babel Pantaloons when he sees the better bands play this summer.

http://rusticauthentics.tumblr.com