Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456465 times)

atomic

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #2670 on: March 28, 2014, 07:20:54 pm »
I mean, dude could just change the title annually right?  There's an edit function for the thread author I'm sure. 

Or we could start a new one.

« Reply #2671 on: March 31, 2014, 02:12:21 pm »
Shindig - Carroll Park Baltimore - September 27th - Janes Addiction, Rise Against, Gogol Bordello, Clutch, Halestorm, Lucero, Fishbone, J roddy Walston and the Business, Larry and his Flask.  On sale April 4th at noon.

Whoa...quite a line up

anyone have the presale password on this?

an atomic can suck my left nut
JA/Gogol/Lucero/Fishbone all great live acts

Sidehatch has much superior taste in music then I could ever dream of - check

Janes addiction were good in the over 20 years ago.  I would rather see Satellite Party at this point.  Fishbone. were good 30 years ago.   J roddy and clutch suck balls.  Never heard of Lucero assume it is a rap act that sucks.

I saw JA at the club 1.5 years ago and it was tight.  they haven't put out a good song in 20 years though...so luckily they only played 3-4 of those.

also what kind of grammar is that: were good in the over 20 years ago?

slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2672 on: April 02, 2014, 07:55:40 am »
The Gold Bar in Baltimore.......anyone been?

Feel kinda compelled to see Protomartyr this month, at the unfortunate expense of Cloud Nothings.

« Reply #2673 on: April 02, 2014, 12:30:45 pm »
COUNTING CROWS
TOAD THE WET SPROCKET
Wolf Trap
Sat 7/5/14

I can only imagine that Atomic is on the fan club presale for this show
slack

atomic

« Reply #2674 on: April 02, 2014, 12:52:08 pm »
COUNTING CROWS
TOAD THE WET SPROCKET
Wolf Trap
Sat 7/5/14

I can only imagine that Atomic is on the fan club presale for this show

I don't like either of those bands.  They would seem more your speed.  Old bands that weren't really good in their day and haven't put out anything anyone cares about for ages. 

« Reply #2675 on: April 02, 2014, 12:55:39 pm »
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #2676 on: April 03, 2014, 03:04:09 pm »
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
6/2
U Street Music Hall

These guys were a big deal in 2006-08 and now they're playing DC9 and U Hall? I figured they'd be bigger by now.

I saw them at the club when their first album came out and don't think I've listened to them since... Have they put anything out worth hearing?

There are so many bands from that time period of say 03 to 07 that kind of just disappeared. I'm actually surprised Arcade Fire came out alive after a few stinker albums they put out.

Remember Tapes N Tapes?

Those guys were text-book "instie" (instant indie; just add water). But probably preferable to today's "glindie" bands (spawn of "Glee"; Passion Pit, Fun., etc.)
😐 🎶

Yada

« Reply #2677 on: April 03, 2014, 03:25:50 pm »
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
6/2
U Street Music Hall

These guys were a big deal in 2006-08 and now they're playing DC9 and U Hall? I figured they'd be bigger by now.

I saw them at the club when their first album came out and don't think I've listened to them since... Have they put anything out worth hearing?

There are so many bands from that time period of say 03 to 07 that kind of just disappeared. I'm actually surprised Arcade Fire came out alive after a few stinker albums they put out.

Remember Tapes N Tapes?

Those guys were text-book "instie" (instant indie; just add water). But probably preferable to today's "glindie" bands (spawn of "Glee"; Passion Pit, Fun., etc.)

Or faux old timey grapes of wrath bands.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2678 on: April 04, 2014, 10:39:47 am »
I actually liked Neon Bible and didn't much care for Funeral. Downhill since then IMO, though. They also come off as massive douchebags.

TOTALLY agree. 100%.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2679 on: April 04, 2014, 02:18:59 pm »

Which ones were stinkers? Not everyone can/wants to put out Ten/Funeral every album.

I'd consider Neon Bible a stinker... and while Funeral may have been perfect in 04', over time I feel it has lost its luster.  So... putting out one stinker, plus Funeral maybe not being as awesome as it once was in a course of six to seven years is an easy recipe for a band to disappear. Obviously, that didn't happen...

Edit: And what az just said....

Being the greatest live band in the world helps a band stay around.

Thanks for reminding me to stay away from their shows. And saying that the Arcade Fire is the greatest live band in the world suggests you don't go to many concerts.

atomic

« Reply #2680 on: April 04, 2014, 02:45:16 pm »

Which ones were stinkers? Not everyone can/wants to put out Ten/Funeral every album.

I'd consider Neon Bible a stinker... and while Funeral may have been perfect in 04', over time I feel it has lost its luster.  So... putting out one stinker, plus Funeral maybe not being as awesome as it once was in a course of six to seven years is an easy recipe for a band to disappear. Obviously, that didn't happen...

Thanks for reminding me to stay away from their shows. And saying that the Arcade Fire is the greatest live band in the world suggests you don't go to many concerts.

Of course I have been to a lot of concerts.  Seen tons of bands.  But why do you think they keep playing bigger and bigger venues?  It is because they are incredible live. 

James Ford

« Reply #2681 on: April 04, 2014, 02:50:32 pm »
Since when is the size of venue a band plays proof that they are a great live band?

I thought the size of the venue was more synonymous with how many tools buy into the hype. (?)

Of course I have been to a lot of concerts.  Seen tons of bands.  But why do you think they keep playing bigger and bigger venues?  It is because they are incredible live. 

hutch

« Reply #2682 on: April 04, 2014, 02:53:54 pm »
jsbx

stevewizzle

« Reply #2683 on: April 04, 2014, 02:58:45 pm »
Since when is the size of venue a band plays proof that they are a great live band?

I thought the size of the venue was more synonymous with how many tools buy into the hype. (?)

that's accurate for the most part.

atomic

« Reply #2684 on: April 04, 2014, 03:09:08 pm »

I guess you might have a point as Of Montreal are playing the Ottobar.