Author Topic: Merriweather: Top 5 Outdoor U.S. Concert Venue  (Read 6248 times)

serpent boy

Merriweather: Top 5 Outdoor U.S. Concert Venue
« on: June 21, 2011, 12:59:40 am »
http://blog.iexplore.com/2011/06/easy-listening-the-top-5-outdoor-concert-venues-in-the-us.html

I haven't been to enough outdoor venues to assess the list, but I enjoy MPP much more than the others I've been to. Very cool to see it listed.

walkonby

Re: Merriweather: Top 5 Outdoor U.S. Concert Venue
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:38:57 am »
bullshit!

"it has a colorful history"

"famous people played there"

"all musicians love it because one band named an album after it"

"you can drive to it from the metro area"

that makes a great venue?  bullshit!  pier six blows that place out of the water.  let's see, first "seth's club is the best" . . . now "seth's pavilion" is the among the best . . . what next, "seth's forum" is the best forum in the history of the internerd, ever, of all time.  "seth's ticket service" is the most unbeatable ticket provider of all fucking time?

hutch

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:54:16 am »
I guess I just never loved MPP as much as others.. I definitely prefer Wolftrap and will take Pier 6 over it.. but its a nice venue nonetheless...

But to compare it to Red ROcks or the Gorge seems insane...

wml7

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:02:21 am »
Haven't been to Wolf Trap and Pier 6 is ok.  Pier 6 is like the Charlottesville Pavilion.  MPP is ok too  ;D

hutch

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:11:50 am »
gotta admit the Virgin Freefest has been making me feel more and more positive about MPP

I like the place but from the lawn the vantage point is pretty bad as is from the loge... I'd think that was important in determining the "best" outdoor venues...

bearman🐻

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 09:16:49 am »
What a bunch of crap. ALPINE FUCKING VALLEY??? Are they kidding? They might as well call it Jiffy Lube Midwest.

What about the Hollywood Bowl? Greek Theater?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 09:40:09 am »
What a bunch of crap. ALPINE FUCKING VALLEY??? Are they kidding? They might as well call it Jiffy Lube Midwest.

Oh, bearman...I don't know if we can be friends any more.   ;)

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 09:41:07 am »
I'm sorry...my experiences at Alpine Valley have been miserable. I just don't see the allure AT ALL.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 10:05:38 am »
I saw Radiohead at Alpine Valley in 2003, so for the longest time I though AV was awesome because of size and location, but then again, that's exactly why it sucks. 40,000 is too fucking many and that hill is fucking STEEP.

blipvurt

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 10:16:20 am »
I would say MPP is the best in the immediate region but not one of the best in the country.

Even in the mid-Atlantic there are better ones: Susquehanna Bank Center in Camden, NJ and Mann Music Center in Philly sound better and have better sight lines IMHO.

hutch

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 10:19:22 am »
I would say MPP is the best in the immediate region but not one of the best in the country.

Even in the mid-Atlantic there are better ones: Susquehanna Bank Center in Camden, NJ and Mann Music Center in Philly sound better and have better sight lines IMHO.

MPP has better sound or sight lines than Wolftrap?

Relaxer

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 10:20:48 am »
Let's keep in mind this was a blog post made by this woman:
oword

bearman🐻

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:21:40 am »
My favorite thing about Susquehanna is (in the summer) just grabbing the ferry that takes you across the river from Philly, and you can walk right up to the venue. You don't have to drive through Camden. That's a nice thing. I like Merriweather a lot, but I still don't enjoy having to figure out transportation and logistic issues.

Although it's not an official venue, I'd give a special shout-out to the Treasure Island Music Festival in San Francisco. If you want to talk about spectacular views and ease of getting to/from the gig, that is one place I'd go back to in a heartbeat.

Relaxer

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 10:26:08 am »
Amanda's love of travel has reached new heights.  The chance to learn about other cultures and experience new cuisine and scenery have inspired her desire to experience as much of the world as possible.  Favorite travel memories include annual family trips to far off destinations like the rainforests of Costa Rica and the beautiful landscapes of Tuscany.

"When I went to Club Med in Costa Rica with my parents, we had SUCH a good time! And Italy was great too although I was only 5 when we went. LOL!"
oword

walkonby

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 10:28:16 am »
Amanda's love of travel has reached new heights.  The chance to learn about other cultures and experience new cuisine and scenery have inspired her desire to experience as much of the world as possible.  Favorite travel memories include annual family trips to far off destinations like the rainforests of Costa Rica and the beautiful landscapes of Tuscany.

"When I went to Club Med in Costa Rica with my parents, we had SUCH a good time! And Italy was great too although I was only 5 when we went. LOL!"

i liked this better . . . when it seemed real and had merit, causing me to scream like a lunatic at it.  now you ruined everything.  you deserve the mighty sarlacc.